Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiat punto engine

• 10-10-2014 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I have a 06 punto Grande and the engine kinda sounds it has a thicking / clunking noise I replaced the plugs and oil and a new coil pack cause it was only fleeing on 3 cylindors and when ever I start it after it being off for a few hours it will start then cut out I'll have to keep restarting in about 5 to 10 times before I car take off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

is the 'check engine' light on in the dashboard?

What happened that made you suspect the coil packs?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bonelessbread

is the 'check engine' light on in the dashboard?

What happened that made you suspect the coil packs?

It was but I got it sorted and when I brought it to a garage they said it was misfiring and it needed to be replaced cause it was only firing on 3 cylinder a

It was but I got it sorted and when I brought it to a garage they said it was misfiring and it needed to be replaced cause it was only firing on 3 cylinder a

If the car is still running badly, then it clearly wast just the coilpack, if at all. I'd bring it back to the garage that replaced the coilpack and explain the hot start issue. I was confused when you said "I replaced..." instead of "I had them replaced [ by a mechanic]'

In some cases the engine can go into 'LOS' (limited operation) if a sensors like MAP or water temp is faulty. As the engine doesnt have a reliable indication as to whether its warm or cold, it tries a happy medium. This may make it start ok when cold, but not when warm.
    But this should bring on the check engine light, which i take it is not on now?

If the car is still running badly, then it clearly wast just the coilpack, if at all. I'd bring it back to the garage that replaced the coilpack and explain the hot start issue. I was confused when you said "I replaced..." instead of "I had them replaced [ by a mechanic]'

In some cases the engine can go into 'LOS' (limited operation) if a sensors like MAP or water temp is faulty. As the engine doesnt have a reliable indication as to whether its warm or cold, it tries a happy medium. This may make it start ok when cold, but not when warm.
    But this should bring on the check engine light, which i take it is not on now?

Brought it to a garage they said it won't start cause of the coolent temp sensor , and the mocking noise is the hydrologic lifters need to be checked ,to get to them the timing belt needs to come of and that has never been done so I have to get that replaced in all its gonna cost about 1000 by the time I'm done , my next question is there any legal action I can take towards the previous seller

If it was a private sale, then no.

• Advertisement

If it was a private sale, then no.

Hopefully it will be sorted by Monday all I can do is sort it and drive the car at least I no it's not gonna give me problems

Hopefully it will be sorted by Monday all I can do is sort it and drive the car at least I no it's not gonna give me problems

It would be unusual to have to replace lifters on a starjet* punto. Are you sure your oil level is right up to max and that you use the correct 5w40 oil?

The right oil and the right level is critical on these engines.

*assuming its the 1.4 16v GP you have - you didnt say.

It would be unusual to have to replace lifters on a starjet punto. Are you sure your oil level is right up to max and that you use the correct 5w40 oil?

I put new oil in it but it was 10w40 at the moment its right to the top

before i spent £1000 on all that work, I would drain the oil, fill with 5w40 Selenia Race or other VERY GOOD fully synthetic oil ( not the 20euro motor factors stuff) Replace the filter too.

They only take about 2.8 litres of oil, so be careful not to overfill. Fill to about half way on the dip stick. Leave it settle for about 10 minutes and check again. Top up until its just below the max mark. Remember, that its less than half a litre of oil from MIN to MAX, so go slow.

When your done, give it a good run, and when properly warm give it a good working up to 6K rpm in 2nd and 3rd a few times. If after a few days if its still very noisy then you may have to go down the expensive route.

although, I would prefer to know what state my timing belt was in before i would give it a lash. If its a second hand with no history, you should probably assume its not been done unless you have evidence to the contrary.

Check your service book for interval.

• Advertisement

before i spent £1000 on all that work, I would drain the oil, fill with 5w40 Selenia Race or other VERY GOOD fully synthetic oil ( not the 20euro motor factors stuff) Replace the filter too.

They only take about 2.8 litres of oil, so be careful not to overfill. Fill to about half way on the dip stick. Leave it settle for about 10 minutes and check again. Top up until its just below the max mark. Remember, that its less than half a litre of oil from MIN to MAX, so go slow.

When your done, give it a good run, and when properly warm give it a good working up to 6K rpm in 2nd and 3rd a few times. If after a few days if its still very noisy then you may have to go down the expensive route.

I have a mechanic doing work on it on Monday I still have to get the coolent temp sensor done and gonna get the t belt done to cause its never Been done before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

I have a mechanic doing work on it on Monday I still have to get the coolent temp sensor done and gonna get the t belt done to cause its never Been done before[/

Have you considered running an engine flush through the engine to clean out any deposits that may be imparing the movement of the valve lifters? These are cheap and in my experience can often improve top end noise considerably. This is assuming there is no significant wear to camshafts and lifters, whi h would be indicative of oil supply issues in the past. A faulty coolant temp sensor would definitely cause starting issues, be advised this is an inexpensive job even including a 10 minute computer diagnostic.

Waterson wrote: »
    A faulty coolant temp sensor would definitely cause starting issues,.

I think we have already established that. :D

I wouldnt advise the engine flush. At best you waste time and money. At worst you will block the upper oil rails with dislodged gunk. NEVER use engine flush on a 'try it and see' basis unless you have at least dropped the sump to establish its warranted, and then you need to be prepared to partially strip to ensure the galleries are clear afterwards.

The op has already confirmed that they used the wrong oil, so just put the right oil in.

Anyway, its a moot point as the op has decided to spend the money anyway.

I think we have already established that. :D

I wouldnt advise the engine flush. At best you waste time and money. At worst you will block the upper oil rails with dislodged gunk. NEVER use engine flush on a 'try it and see' basis unless you have at least dropped the sump to establish its warranted, and then you need to be prepared to partially strip to ensure the galleries are clear afterwards.

The op has already confirmed that they used the wrong oil, so just put the right oil in.

Anyway, its a moot point as the op has decided to spend the money anyway.

Quickly changed my mind XD currently in halford gonna get the oil and change it 5 w 40 oil is it ?

Quickly changed my mind XD currently in halford gonna get the oil and change it 5 w 40 oil is it ?

Its in your handbook. Assuning its a 1.4 16v GP, yes, 5w40. Selenia is the recommended one for fiat, if you can get it. If you changed your filter last time then dont bother this time.

Se if they can check your coolant sensor for you. It might be just a loose connection. But an Ohmmeter will confirm whether its working or not. I find it odd that you drop the car in to fix a misfire and then it suddenly has an issue with a coolant sensor, which was leading you to a repair costing a grand.

With a bit of luck you might get this reduced to just a timing belt. Which should be no more than 300/400e, Fire/StarJet belts are a doddle to do. Shop around and get a few quotes.

Its in your handbook. Assuning its a 1.4 16v GP, yes, 5w40. Selenia is the recommended one for fiat, if you can get it. If you changed your filter last time then dont bother this time.

Se if they can check your coolant sensor for you. It might be just a loose connection. But an Ohmmeter will confirm whether its working or not. I find it odd that you drop the car in to fix a misfire and then it suddenly has an issue with a coolant sensor, which was leading you to a repair costing a grand.

With a bit of luck you might get this reduced to just a timing belt. Which should be no more than 300/400e, Fire/StarJet belts are a doddle to do. Shop around and get a few quotes.

It wasn't starting properly before I brought it in got the misfire sorted and that problem was still there Then I brought it to atlas and they told me what the rest of the problems were, I have someone doing it tomorrow so I'm hoping it won't cost me an arm and leg to get it done fingers crossed , at least when it's all done it will be a good car

well, any news?

well, any news?

Brought it to the garage yesterday said it will be about two days before he looks at it but fingers crossed it's not to bad

Couple of months late I know but I had to get new tb and water pump was never changed also found out the starting problem is to do with ecu would have to get it reprogrammed and the thicking noise is the cam oil fused to it one of the previous owners let the oil run low for ages and also never changed the oil causeiing this would be looking at about 1000 Euro to get fixed

Advertisement