Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase in teaching days per year?

Options
  • 29-08-2014 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi

I'm trying to find information on the proposed increase in the number of teaching days per year. Does anyone have any links regarding this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Jeez its depressing enough to be back !Sometimes I think some forum posts / news items/pre budget articles etc are by people 'testing the water' for upcoming 'digs' and seeing if the suckers are likely to take it lying down .Havent heard anything about this and dont want to !Not a minute , not a cent .Lets not forget 20-50 a month water charges are still on the way .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

First I have heard of it

• Registered Users Posts: 17 zombi

I'm not testing any waters, in fact I'm not even sure what that means.

This topic has been brought up in my workplace and I was just trying to find out if there was info rather than listening to staff room gossip and getting worked up over what might amount to nothing.

Also, I've been paying water charges for the past four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭itsduffy

zombi wrote:

how come you have been paying them?

I live in a rural area that has a private water scheme. I also, quite regularly, have brown water - but that's beside the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

zombi wrote: »
    I'm not testing any waters, in fact I'm not even sure what that means.

This topic has been brought up in my workplace and I was just trying to find out if there was info rather than listening to staff room gossip and getting worked up over what might amount to nothing.

^^^

Leave us alone. Thanks.

I am totally confused. What is the problem with me asking this question?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If you listen to staffroom gossip, you should be getting your increment now along with the s&s payment.....

I agree completely. That's why I thought I'd try to find some outside info.

Believe me if this is just rumour I'm thoroughly delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

zombi wrote: »
    I agree completely. That's why I thought I'd try to find some outside info.

Believe me if this is just rumour I'm thoroughly delighted.

Yer alright OP.. you are entitled to ask the question as much as folk are not obliged to give you an answer on this thread..

I think the majority of the well versed folk on here say its a nay..

Although..in saying that... can you find the source and where it came from.. do a little more espionage next week.

MOd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

Unless people are getting mixed up between teaching days, where the students are in, and days at work. Schools who worked last Thursday and Friday have increased their days at work from 167 to 170 (based on second level). And they have more or less done that voluntarily, or by "consensus".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We are already doing 88 hours under HRA...which is 4 weeks( 20 days) we don't need anymore !!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If anyone has a link to a source for this proposed increase, please PM a mod and we can re-open this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is a quote from one of the new circulars regarding sick leave.

17. Statutory Annual Leave/Public Holiday Entitlement
    17.1 In general full time employees are entitled to 20 days annual leave. Employees who work less than full hours are entitled to annual leave on a pro rata basis.

This 'could' be the basis on which they try to introduce it.
    Memo v.7 which covers employees of VEC/ETBs allows six weeks leave.

Thread re-opened to discuss the implications of this from a teacher's viewpoint. Please read the charter of this forum if you are unfamiliar with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

spurious wrote: »
    This is a quote from one of the new circulars regarding sick leave.

17. Statutory Annual Leave/Public Holiday Entitlement
    17.1 In general full time employees are entitled to 20 days annual leave. Employees who work less than full hours are entitled to annual leave on a pro rata basis.

This 'could' be the basis on which they try to introduce it.
    Memo v.7 which covers employees of VEC/ETBs allows six weeks leave.

Thread re-opened to discuss the implications of this from a teacher's viewpoint. Please read the charter of this forum if you are unfamiliar with it.

But schools are required to be open 167 days per year and we are required to work the hours that our contract states

So effectively we get paid by the hour. Not the day within that 167 days.

Teachers working 22 hours don't necessarily have them spread evenly across a week. Full time teachers get full pay on their holidays.

Part time teachers get paid pro-rata, but their holiday pay is also pro-rata. I would imagine that it would be difficult to implement and get a teacher to work extra days, if they are contracted to be a teacher in a school and they have put in their 167 days and X teaching hours per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

The 'gossip' might be referring to the proposed increased of hours for PLC/FE teachers (who are technically secondary school teachers), which was announced a few months ago.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/teachers-to-work-year-round-in-further-education-sector-1.1771312

http://www.merrionstreet.ie/index.php/2014/05/ministers-quinn-and-cannon-launch-the-first-ever-five-year-strategy-for-further-education-and-training/

I don't see how this is going to work where you have a secondary school and plc college combined though? Also are they just going to change existing contracts for the 1500+ odd PLC/FE teachers just like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

trihead wrote: »
    Also are they just going to change existing contracts for the 1500+ odd PLC/FE teachers just like that?

Don't worry, they can do this without a bother. They've done it in the last couple of years with Haddington Road etc...

trihead wrote: »
    I don't see how this is going to work where you have a secondary school and plc college combined though?

That's the sort of fact about the education system in Ireland that the 'advisors' and minions in the Department don't seem to know about. Oh, you mean they are not separate?
    You'd wonder whether some of them were even educated in Ireland they know so little of what actually goes on in schools.

Advertisement