Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handing in notice

Options
  • 01-09-2014 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Can anyone tell me how much notice a person covering a maternity has to give to leave their job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

I'm guessing you want to leave your post before the end of your contract?

The best approach would be to get in touch with HR if you work in an ETB or speak directly to the Principal. I don't know anyone who has done this previously so I'm not sure of the procedure. Surely your contract will detail the period of notice which should be given in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dimples06

If I was to be offered another job in a different school while holding the maternity position that was more long term and had a better chance of a future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I think most mat leave contracts I've had stated a months written notice
    But the school may be willing to forfeit this? Esp if it's like now at the start of term. It may also depend on how likely they are to get a replacement sub in

There's a good chance I have a job for Jan in another school, but i've just started a maternity so should I wait until 4 weeks before christmas and tell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

dimples06 wrote: »
    If I was to be offered another job in a different school while holding the maternity position that was more long term and had a better chance of a future.

I didn't mean to imply you were doing anything wrong by asking my question.

You should speak to your school as soon as a job offer is definite and you have it in writing. I wouldn't say anything to anyone before then. Good Luck!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. I just don't want them to think I'm cheeky taking this job knowing I wont be there for the full length of time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

With the job situation so bad, no decent principal would have issues, if you let them know in time.

Advertisement