Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crew cab conversion?

Options
  • 20-02-2009 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hi there.

I am a musician and our band plan on touring Europe this summer. I have had a 03 ford t350 crew cab transit for the past two years which the band have used quite a bit for Irish and English gigs. It has 97k on clock and good nick.

Because we will be gone from the start of June to maybe mid July i was considering converting the van to a camper. Maybe fit bunk bed and kitchen and give it a good camper look. One large consideration will be having enough space for our back line. This is why i believe a custom build is the way to go.

There is only three of us in the band but we will be bringing 2 more companions (roadies) with us on the tour.

I am looking for something permanent now where i can use it as a recreation vehicle while in Ireland. Its not just a once off summer fling=)

I have read over some of the stickies and really cant decide whether the above is the best thing to do. Basically the van has a fixed back seat section which is bolted into the ground and it looks like it would be a big job to get them out and a nice few apparatus fitted. I could probably sell the van for an ok price (7K), get a cheaper bare bone high top like the IVECO Daisy or FORD 300 (3K) and then spend the rest of the cash on converting??

I could also just try and trade in the crew cab to a motor home garage and get something they have on offer. What will be your opinion on this? I think i could could get 7k for my van but what would i get for a trade in? I was looking at an old hymer there on the net for 10k. but to be honest i think it is too big maybe and i really cant spend an extra 3k if i only get 7k for my van. (the stereotypical musician being broke)

If you have any advice it would be much appreciated.

I feel i am leaning more to the idea of selling my current van. getting an older cheaper high top and doing a conversion job. I have no experience in converting stuff so i will have to get a company to do it for me.

Any recommendations of irish companys or even a handy carpenter.

I live in Cork by the way.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

You'd would want a good size van to fit and sleep 5 adults comfortably for any length of time:)

Be wary of insurance for your plan.I know my policy states my camper can't be used for any commercial gain.One of the examples it gives is bands carrying musical instuments:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

aerosol wrote: »
    You'd would want a good size van to fit and sleep 5 adults comfortably for any length of time:)

Not only that, but you will be very hard pressed to fit an amplyfier or anything else bulky thruogh the narrow doors.

I'd consider a Caravan if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

In this day and age it is impossible for a band to get insured at all. so lets just say my current policy on my crew cab is hush hush and will be so for the camper. Discrimination is a pain.

As for 5 sleeping, comfort isnt so much the issue. If i can get 1 bunk in. a pull out double and something else. I would probably also be looking for a camper that has no shower or toilet for room purposes. Something with a back door would also be handy. This is probably why a van converted to camper is suitable.

What are your opinions on the 1990 model Hymer's? they look nice and roomy. I think there are around 3 for sale in Ireland at the moment. I have seen a fair few around Cork also. Popular it seems but are they mechanically sound and economical.

Actually what is the most economical (diesel wise) for a camper. I think aerodynamics would be a big part so thats why i am looking at nice curved campers.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think peasants idea of a caravan is the way to go.I hadn't thought of the narrow door bit.

With 5 people and stuff plus your band's gear,you'll be asking alot of even the most generous of campers payload.

Do you have amps and pa and desks and drums,keyboards etc?

Hymers would in general are good campers and well thought of.(mines the business;))Having an overcab bed,its not the most aerodynamic!

the reason i am so concerned about the economics of the vehicle in relation to diesel costs is due to the amount of weight i will be carrying with the gear.

As for the caravan it would be far too big a thing to be toeing around and possibly very costly on fuel. Also i am just keen on getting rid of the crew cab and getting a camper so i just have the rec vehicle instead of a commercial one.

• Advertisement

we are a small 3 piece with not much gear. Bass stack, guitar stack and drums. Its not much gear and i believe with the right management of room in the camper all will feet nicely=) I really dont want to get a caravan.

You seem dead set on a camper! Go for it:D

If you weigh all your gear,the people travelling in it it'll give you a guide as to what type of payload you need to look for in your van.maybes look for a van with a garage, plenty of research is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Before you commit to anything, pile five people into a demo camper near you and then imagine a drum kit and all the other gear in the camper as well.

Then go and buy a caravan :D
    (or else, do up your van and get a small trailer for the gear)

yeah a trailer might be a good way to go. I know of a band that use a nice small steel trailer. seems like something i could manage. They did get it broken into though so maybe a fort nox style one would be in order.

If i get a camper conversion done what are the conditions to get it classified as a camper when taxing?

Does it have to be over 3000kg and under 3500 kg?

And do they take under consideration the weight of people in the vehicle. As in is that added on to the weight when the tax office person looks at it?

I think i am going to go for a high roof LWB van and do a conversion job to suite my specific needs. It seems the best bet.

I emailed vanderlust in shannon asking about what they can do and for what price.
    Any of you have any experience with them?

Thanks again for the help. :)

some progress,

My old man runs his own distribution business and i have sorted a deal with him.

I'm going to sell my van to him and get one of his fleet vans with a few bob added in.

The van is a 01 Ford L230 LWB hi roof. 80k on clock and good cond.

Will probably have it ready to be converted by next month.

As for conversions do any of you have contacts of handy men (or women) about that do camper conversions. I know there is one chap here in cork but the quality of his conversions is poor. A friend got a sprinter done and looks pretty bad.

I was looking into Vanderlust in shannon but they will probably be quite pricy.

This is the final part i need help with and hopefully by June all will be done and dusted.

• Advertisement

I finally sold my crew cab.

Now i am looking to source people who do good conversions specific to my needs and for a reasonable price.

As i have mentioned in a previous post i am converting a transit LWB hi-roof.

I just want to get an idea of different places in Ireland i could deal with to get my legitimate/legal conversion done.

SOme names and places would be great. Thanks!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pandos

Hi.

I am currently working full time on a conversion in Cork.

If you like you can come and have a look and perhaps we can work something out.

Pm me for contact details.

Tony.

Advertisement