Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HALLOWEEN HALLOWEEN HALLOWEEN HALLOWEEN

• 21-10-2013 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭

No idea where this should go so if here is wrong, sorry.

So Halloween, are all the parties on this weekend (before Halloween) or next weekend? (After Halloween)

Trying to find somewhere to go fancy dress wise on one of the Saturday nights but dunno which weekend everything is on. Oh and it'll be Dublin city most likely or very close to it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Who needs a fancy dress event?

Dress as the Grim Reaper and visit a nursing home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Tazzimus wrote: »
    So Halloween, are all the parties on this weekend (before Halloween) or next weekend? (After Halloween but bank holiday)

just so you know, the bank holiday weekend is before Halloween, not after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As any parties I'm aware of are in private homes I doubt you'd be invited, so what does it matter to you when our parties are on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

yeah I;m having a party in my pants. all are welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

We should have a costume competition in After Hours :)

Only saying that because if I get my sh*t together I might win !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

just so you know, the bank holiday weekend is before Halloween, not after

Ah yes so it is, sorry long day in work, brains like mush.
    As any parties I'm aware of are in private homes I doubt you'd be invited, so what does it matter to you when our parties are on?
    It matters as I'm not interested in house parties, more like places having parties, as in venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

• Crash a school disco
    • Go on the lash
    • Get put on sex offenders list
    • Never have to worry about parties again!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Where's the best place to buy Halloween costumes? Is it a bit far to go dressed as an S.S Officer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Where's the best place to buy Halloween costumes? Is it a bit far to go dressed as an S.S Officer?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4170083.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Sorry if in wrong forum

Officially halloween is not till next week - however, I am wondering will those of you who have small children be going trick or treating with them this weekend - my grandkids want to, but I would prefer to wait till the actual night.

Instead of the halloween sticky candy I have bought a box of roses/quality street/heroes (works out much cheaper).

Unsure whether to just wait till Halloween or to decorate this weekend and let the kids knock and get their treats.

What will others be doing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Sorry if in wrong forum

Those of you who have small children

Defo wrong forum, you need the forums with happy people doting over their kids and such crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

A lot of people mightn't have chocolate/sweets or whatever to readily give though this weekend

I'm sure a fair amount buy them especially on the day or a day or two before, whatever

At least your expecting calls on Hallowe'en night, I'd find it strange if kids called to my house tomorrow that's for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sorry if in wrong forum

Officially halloween is not till next week - however, I am wondering will those of you who have small children be going trick or treating with them this weekend - my grandkids want to, but I would prefer to wait till the actual night.

Instead of the halloween sticky candy I have bought a box of roses/quality street/heroes (works out much cheaper).

Unsure whether to just wait till Halloween or to decorate this weekend and let the kids knock and get their treats.

Going on the weather forecast, I think next week would be better for ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I haven't been feeding the dog this week in preparation for the visitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Why would anyone be trick or treating this weekend when its not halloween:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Waiting for Halloween.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's annoying when Halloween falls midweek, usually pubs and clubs have their fancy dress nights the weekend before so it'll be this weekend everything will be on, can't really celebrate it next weekend either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I saw plenty revellers buying outfits for Sunday night €70-€100/head fools and their money comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Kids knocking at my door before Halloween will get nothing. Seems like an outrageous suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Sorry if in wrong forum

Wont be adding to their obesity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Sorry if in wrong forum

Think about it.

If you picked a random day in February, dressed up and went out trick or treating, what kind of reaction would you think you'd get?

Now apply that to this weekend and you'll get the same..

Why...

Cos it's not Fuc*ing Halloween.:pac:

Weirdo! :p

Why would anyone be trick or treating this weekend when its not halloween:confused:

well the adults are all celebrating this weekend, dressing up and going out boozing. Why should the kids have to wait if the adults don't

okay it's definitely the wrong forum........poor kids - adults can be so cruel :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Why should the kids have to wait if the adults don't

The adults don't go house to house begging for sweets on the weekend before that aren't there.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I saw plenty revellers buying outfits for Sunday night €70-€100/head fools and their money comes to mind.

Halloween is probably the best night of the year to go out, it's brilliant craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

It's extremely random going trick or treating on any night other then Halloween. People have work on Friday that's why the pubs fancy dress are all on the bank hol weekend. Nobody wants to get legless Thursday night then get up for work on Friday whereas the little darlings are on midterm.

The roses are a good idea I got a tub of sweets with drumsticks, love hearts that kind of crap for €6 in tescos says there's over 100 pieces in it, at this rate by Halloween all I'll have left in it is parma violets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

It was help the Halloween Party rather than trick or treat back in the day imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

OPENROAD wrote: »

and you got fruit and nuts. You thought all your christmas's came at once if you got sweets!

OPENROAD wrote: »

yes, and they came around for days before halloween, and they usually got coppers, and/or stuff for their bonfire also they usually only had blackened faces. A lot more craic. and the song.....halloween is com in...

This thing about expensive "fancy" dress outfits, and only going out on the actual night is a bit sterile compared to the craic years ago. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

No halloween here, the US tv channels will show some scary movies but it doesnt exist really here.

I am pie wrote: »
    No halloween here, the US tv channels will show some scary movies but it doesnt exist really here.

Eh? go into any major pub this weekend, be packed with people in costume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

bin bags with a cheap plastic mask was as good as it got round my way

on the plus side we had monster bonfires and more rockets than the Palestinians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I won't be buying stuff till next week, probably a day or 2 before. So if any kinds show up looking for stuff, there getting nothing.

Bizarre suggestion to have the kids go out over the weekend, they will be just disappointed, as most people won't have stuff ready for them.

wouldn't call it bizarre wes, up until a few years ago, it was the norm.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'd say you'll get a lot of the nightclubs doing the fancy dress thing for adults this weekend as it's the last weekend before Halloween.. that's usually the way..

But the kiddies stuff is generally reserved for Halloween day/night itself.

You'll get a few funny looks sending your kids around the doors before next Thursday tbh.

• Advertisement

It was never the norm

lertsnim wrote: »
    It was never the norm

it was.....before it got americanised here in Ireland. ask your mammy. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Since when? How would that work? Having people pick different nights for trick or treating, will just lead to the kids getting nothing from people, who haven't bought anything yet. Its a really strange thing to do, and when I was younger it was always done on Halloween, and not some other day before it.

The only stuff that happened before hand was getting stuff for a bonfire, but sweets etc happen on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,328 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't agree with the American custom of trick or treat at all.
    There are too many risks to allowing children knock at doors of people who are unknown to them. Too many weirdos around these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Working till after 8pm most evenings this week. Hopefully all the kids will be in bed by the time i get home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

krudler wrote: »
    Eh? go into any major pub this weekend, be packed with people in costume

Here, Argentina. There won't be any twilight twerps or bin ladens running around thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am going to have a go at carving a turnip we use to do this as children, long before pumpkins were ever heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

No, people won't have sweets. They won't get anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

In my old house the sitting room was at the back of the house, you could close the door and pretend no one was home, not so in the new house so I suppose I'll have to buy some sweets. I know I sound like a mangy bastard but that't not it at all, its really annoying having to answer the door every few minutes, the dog going crazy every time and trying to get him in before I open the door.

I also don't like anything whatsoever about halloween, pointless holiday, just like easter but with more fire and danger. The only thing I do like about halloween is the midterm break that I just got today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

There's a halloween prank I'd love to try, but don't have the guts to follow through with.

If 1-2 trick or treaters ring the doorbell while their parent/guardian stands at the end of the driveway, I'd answer the door dressed as It, grab the kid, drag him into the house and slam the door while somebody outside videos the immediate panic it would create before giving the kid back.

With facetube and the like, I could make a few internet dollars out of it. Or end up on the sex offenders register

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

krudler wrote: »
    Halloween is probably the best night of the year to go out, it's brilliant craic

50 year olds going around with highland langer outfits great craic altogether :D
    Why do people need to be in a pub and get drunk to have the craic :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

how about getting one of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB8D2QZ9lA4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

The weekend before or after will have people going out this year, great craic to be had on a Hallowe'en night out. If you're in costume, even better! Shame it's on a Thursday this time around, no definite weekend to head out but sure, it'll be grand.

Best time of year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

I'm dressing up as comfortable man, he has super 'doing **** all' powers.

it was.....before it got americanised here in Ireland. ask your mammy. :D

Hilarious. I'm probably older than you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement