Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Animal Cruelty

• 24-10-2013 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just after seeing a video of two sick freaks kicking and pushing a donkey to the side of a cliff. The donkey is obviously terrified and desperately trying not to fall but eventually one of the pricks gives the donkey a final kick and it appears to fall to it's death.
    I've seen a lot of sick **** on the internet but this has to be one of the worst.
    Why would anyone do this, never mind film it.
    If anyone sees the video don't watch it, it's disturbing. I don't know why I even clicked play when I had a fair idea what was going to happen. :rolleyes:
    What horrible people to do something like this.
    There have lots of viral videos of people being cruel to animals over the years. Remember that cat lady in England who was caught putting a cat in a wheelie bin. People wanted to kill her after seeing it.
    What on earth makes people want to do something like this?
    Are these people traumatised by animals as children or something!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

That's for bringing that to our attention. I feel like shít now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Anyone who hurts anything weaker than themselves be it a child or an animal is a psychopath and should be permanently removed from society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

What on earth makes people want to watch such crap :(
    Simple don't watch it, I wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Sociopaths, dont feel guilt. They have a mental illness and should be isolated from society and treated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I didn't need to hear that :( I know it goes on (I have worked with animals), but still....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

just watched it. completely depressed now. damn you Teddy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Anyone who hurts anything weaker than themselves be it a child or an animal is a psychopath and should be permanently removed from society

I am with you on this. I cannot stand people like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sickening behaviour.

I had the misfortune of seeing the one where a couple of young thugs in England were throwing residents pet cats off the top of their multi storey tower block. Thankfully in that case the two degenerates were jailed as they were stupid enough to film their own faces and upload the footage to Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

When i saw Shovel Dog it changed me. Still makes me sick thinking about it.

From the name, you could guess what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Rho b wrote: »
    What on earth makes people want to watch such crap :(
    Simple don't watch it, I wouldn't.

Doesn't mean it's not going on though. I try not to watch stuff like that, but you can't bury your head in the sand to it's existence...as nice as that would be :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

gramar wrote: »
    That's for bringing that to our attention. I feel like shít now.

I know, sorry. But I think people will hear about this regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

People who treat animals like this will probably do the same to people given the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BabyGorilla

Hopefully the scumbags will have filmed themselves and get a prison sentence.

Maybe they'll learn how an abused ass feels while they're in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Maybe they'll learn how an abused ass feels while they're in there.

Congratulations. You are today's Winner of the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I could never watch people being deliberately cruel to animals :(

I despair for the human race even reading the OP :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'm just after seeing a video of two sick freaks kicking and pushing a donkey to the side of a cliff. The donkey is obviously terrified and desperately trying not to fall but eventually one of the pricks gives the donkey a final kick and it appears to fall to it's death.
    I've seen a lot of sick **** on the internet but this has to be one of the worst.
    Why would anyone do this, never mind film it.
    If anyone sees the video don't watch it, it's disturbing. I don't know why I even clicked play when I had a fair idea what was going to happen. :rolleyes:
    What horrible people to do something like this.
    There have lots of viral videos of people being cruel to animals over the years. Remember that cat lady in England who was caught putting a cat in a wheelie bin. People wanted to kill her after seeing it.
    What on earth makes people want to do something like this?
    Are these people traumatised by animals as children or something!?

You've seen a lot of sick **** on the internet yet you keep watching.

Do you enjoy being outraged or disgusted
    Or do you secretly enjoy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

kneemos wrote: »
    You've seen a lot of sick **** on the internet yet you keep watching.

Do you enjoy being outraged or disgusted
    Or do you secretly enjoy it?
    In this instance this video clicked up on my facebook page.
    I clicked it hoping it wasn't going to be what I thought it might be, but even then I was a little bit sick after actually watching it. I know that's a stupid logic.
    I don't go looking for such videos but things like this go viral so to speak from time to time. It's like if I'm watching a news report and they say there may be disturbing pictures in the report, I don't turn over. I'll watch it because I want to get a deeper picture of the reality.
    Anyway it's sort of irrelevant to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Hurting animals is wrong but what i don't understand is why people transfer human emotions to something that is not human they don't have our emotions.

Hurting animals is wrong but what i don't understand is why people transfer human emotions to something that is not human they don't have our emotions.

So...animals don't feel fear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The worst thing is the fall probably didn't kill the poor donkey, more than likely just broke the poor things back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dilly.

ridiculous comment, i don't even know where to start

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    So...animals don't feel fear?
    ridiculous comment, i don't even know where to start

Self preservation is an evolutionary benefit/response if an animal was not aware of its surrounding who would look after the young or who would pass on the DNA to the next generation i would not really call it fear. Would an animal have an irrational fear of ants spiders if they were larger ? no. If you hooked it up to electric cables would it have a fear of being electrocuted ? no. Evolutionary responses i would not really call them emotions.

Self preservation is an evolutionary benefit/response if an animal was not aware of its surrounding who would look after the young or who would pass on the DNA to the next generation i would not really call it fear. Would an animal have an irrational fear of ants spiders if they were larger ? no. If you hooked it up to electric cables would it have a fear of being electrocuted ? no. Evolutionary responses i would not really call them emotions.

Evolutionary responses generated by fear.

Evolutionary responses i would not really call them emotions.

Is fear (the 'human' sort) not just an evolutionary response to a threat? We can verbalise our fears though. Animals can't. A donkey clearly distressed as it is forced off a cliff is, of course, going to act on instinct and try to escape. As would a human.

kneemos wrote: »
    Evolutionary responses generated by fear.

Nope simply programed to protect it's DNA and pass it on. If an animal felt fear it would not get anything done it would be consistently hiding to avoid being consumed by predators as they have no defence. You think animals that heard do it out of fear ? No they do it so the predators will only consume a small number of them. so the majority can pass on there DNA

Is fear (the 'human' sort) not just an evolutionary response to a threat? We can verbalise our fears though. Animals can't. A donkey clearly distressed as it is forced off a cliff is, of course, going to act on instinct and try to escape. As would a human.

Show a chicken an axe will it run from it no

Nope simply programed to protect it's DNA and pass it on. If an

I wonder how ancient humans found out about passing on their DNA, ie sex......instinct perhaps?

I wonder how ancient humans found out about passing on their DNA, ie sex......instinct perhaps?

Instinct is not emotion

Instinct is not emotion

Sorry, I'll rephrase that...an evolutionary response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Nope simply programed to protect it's DNA and pass it on. If an animal felt fear it would not get anything done it would be consistently hiding to avoid being consumed by predators as they have no defence. You think animals that heard do it out of fear ? No they do it so the predators will only consume a small number of them. so the majority can pass on there DNA

If animals of the furry, four legged variety don't feel emotions then humans must not either, we are all animals.

Sorry, I'll rephrase that...an evolutionary response.

At what point did we change from being animals to becoming a reasoning cognitive species i cant tell you ? This is a philosophical debate. At a base level we retain certain instincts to pass on DNA. When did that change to emoting suffering in fellow humans and protecting them from predators or developing love and monogamy not just passing on DNA? as i said philosophical realm now.

If animals of the furry, four legged variety don't feel emotions then humans must not either, we are all animals.

You put emotions on dogs for example if you ask an owner if he knows the dogs guilty look he/she will say yes. Then under scientific testing you ask the owner to leave the room And before re entering have something destroyed. then tell the owner the dog did it and ask the owner if the dog looks guilty they will say it does even if the dog did not destroy the item.

You put emotions on dogs for example if you ask an owner if he knows the dogs guilty look he/she will say yes. Then under scientific testing you ask the owner to leave the room And on re entering have something destroyed. and tell the owner the dog did it and ask the owner if the dog looks guilty they will say it does even if the dog did not destroy the item.

Thats about humans assuming what an animal feels. They cant tell us so we guess based on their behavior. I'm not disagreeing that people anthropomorphize their pets but I think its very arrogant to believe that humans are somehow 'better, more intelligent, more self aware' than other animals. Another animals intellect or reasoning cant really be measured against that of another species. Its like judging a group of people on how eloquent they are when they are all speaking a different language you don't understand.

I don't think you're going to make many friends on this thread.

Look, at the end of the day, as humans, we 'appear' to have more highly developed emotions than most animals, and can verbalise these emotions to make our fears understood. As such, I think it is our responsibility to assume that other animals can also feel fear, although they cannot verbalise it, and treat them humanely accordingly. It's the human thing to do.

Such a pity that some 'humans' don't seem to agree.

Thats about humans assuming what an animal feels. They cant tell us so we guess based on their behavior. I'm not disagreeing that people anthropomorphize their pets but I think its very arrogant to believe that humans are somehow 'better, more intelligent, more self aware' than other animals. Another animals intellect or reasoning cant really be measured against that of another species. Its like judging a group of people on how eloquent they are when they are all speaking a different language you don't understand.

So they don't have Human Emotions

• Advertisement

I don't think you're going to make many friends on this thread.

Look, at the end of the day, as humans, we 'appear' to have more highly developed emotions than most animals, and can verbalise these emotions to make our fears understood. As such, I think it is our responsibility to assume that other animals can also feel fear, although they cannot verbalise it, and treat them humanely accordingly. It's the human thing to do.

Such a pity that some 'humans' don't seem to agree.

Whats the got to do with Animals not having Human Emotions ?

So they don't have Human Emotions

That doesnt mean they dont have emotions though

It would make sense for animals to feel fear as a method of self preservation.Much more powerful than just instinct I would have thought.

Whats the got to do with Animals not having Human Emotions ?

Nothing :) I was just pointing out that you may spend a lot of time defending your views on this thread to people who do not agree with you. However, it was only one sentence out of my post. What did you think of the rest of it?

That doesnt mean they dont have emotions though

Were going around in circles now Instinct is not Emotion just because you put your sense of fear onto an animal does not mean it feels that emotion.

• Advertisement

Nothing :) I was just pointing out that you may spend a lot of time defending your views on this thread to people who do not agree with you. However, it was only one sentence out of my post. What did you think of the rest of it?

I have no bother people protecting Animals. I have a problem when people project their emotions onto an animal.

Were going around in circles now Instinct is not Emotion just because you put your sense of fear onto an animal does not mean it feels that emotion.

Until animals learn to talk, we can't ask them why a donkey might cry out and try to escape before being forced off a cliff. Hence my earlier point about being humane enough to assume that they do feel fear, and treating them accordingly.

Innocent until proven guilty, if you will.

You're not listening to me. You said animals don't have "human emotions" of course they don't, they are not human. But in my opinion, emotion is universal, not the preserve of just one species. So I believe other animals do feel emotion, very similarly I would think to how humans do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I have no bother people protecting Animals. I have a problem when people project their emotions onto an animal.

have you ever had a pet?

__
    My dog, if he pees inside the house, he won't come downstairs. If that doesn't show "some kind of guilt" I don't know what would.

Dogs also get severely depressed when separated from their owner. And dogs emotions are being used in studies to understand human actions& emotions better!
    (have a read through the pet forum on here)

Now, I believe not all animals feel emotions the way we do. No, it's more, they need a certain environment to develop those emotions.
    The same way, if we were still hunter gatherers we wouldn't have emotions further than "food/shelter/herd"

_________
    @ OP, plenty of **** like that happens, people should be punished severly for it.
    20 whippings a week for a year...since you know we don't have space in prisons.

You're not listening to me. You said animals don't have "human emotions" of course they don't, they are not human. But in my opinion, emotion is universal, not the preserve of just one species. So I believe other animals do feel emotion, very similarly I would think to how humans do.

If I Believe the country is run by lizard men does that make it true ? Instinct is not Emotion i don’t see why this annoys so many people

If I Believe the country is run by lizard men does that make it true ?

Fair enough you have different beliefs than me. Being rude and scoffing at what others believe to be true doesn't make your beliefs any more credible.

Fair enough you have different beliefs than me. Being rude and scoffing at what others believe to be true doesn't make your beliefs any more credible.

Pointing out a fact is rude now ? People put emotions on Animals that's all I'm saying. I also said hurting animals is wrong did i defend what happened ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Show a chicken an axe will it run from it no

Neither would a human, show a chicken an axe as someone is chasing after it and it'd run. Same as a human, show me an axe and I'd say "hey nice axe".

To suggest animals don't have emotions is nonsense.

krudler wrote: »
    Neither would a human, show a chicken an axe as someone is chasing after it and it'd run. Same as a human, show me an axe and I'd say "hey nice axe".

To suggest animals don't have emotions is nonsense.

Instinct running after the chicken implies chase that's what predators do to catch other animals to consume them once consumed they cannot pass on there DNA

Pointing out a fact is rude now ? People put emotions on Animals that's all I'm saying. I also said hurting animals is wrong did i defend what happened ?

Its not a fact. Has anyone ever proven other animals do not feel emotions?

• Advertisement
Advertisement