Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ritz Athlone

Options
  • 20-01-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭

Anyone tried this place? Used to be the Olive Grove, seems to be selling itself as a tapas bar, but judging by the menu it's a regular restaurant with a small tapas option.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Anyone tried this place? Used to be the Olive Grove, seems to be selling itself as a tapas bar, but judging by the menu it's a regular restaurant with a small tapas option.

Thanks!

I will have a look on Trip Adviser to see the kind of reviews it's getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Thanks!

I heard it was quite good from a few people but haven't been in myself yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Long Gone wrote: »
    I will have a look on Trip Adviser to see the kind of reviews it's getting.

Never thought of that, five good reviews. Sounds perfect, small bites at a bar, good wine with a view over the river.

Never thought of that, five good reviews. Sounds perfect, small bites at a bar, good wine with a view over the river.

The location is certainly great. I love the view out the big windows at night time, particularly when the river is really still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I've heard it's quite nice and reasonably priced, herself was in it with work friends, said the food was good.

• Advertisement

I like the name - The Ritz was a great cinema in its day. Many's the good film I saw in there. It's gone now, as is the Adelphi...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

I remember going to see Grease in it.

A rumour was doing the rounds at the time that a clairvoyant had predicted the cinema would collapse into the Shannon when a film about cooking was showing. :eek:

Hence we spent more time looking for cracks appearing in the walls than we did at the film :D

Bosh wrote: »
    I remember going to see Grease in it.

A rumour was doing the rounds at the time that a clairvoyant had predicted the cinema would collapse into the Shannon when a film about cooking was showing. :eek:

Hence we spent more time looking for cracks appearing in the walls than we did at the film :D

Well it was built on stilts - There was a big unused void area underneath the building that you could see from the river or the bridge. The piles that supported the building were all visible. I remember seeing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Dr. Doolittle and in there on first release. Never saw a film about cooking in there though !

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Martha_Mae

Definitely one of the best locations in town. Anyone knows what kind of food they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I had dinner there with a group one night. It was only okay. The steak main course was around €25 but the piece of ribeye was cut too thin and overcooked. For €25 I would expect fried onions and mushrooms but I got one flat mushroom with onion marmalade sitting on top. Most of our group thought it was fairly average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Two-page interview with Gael Bradbury, from the Olive Grove, talking about the closure of their restaurant in today's Westmeath Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glen25

I agree with Donie above. Its mediocre at best. A group of us had dinner there on New Years Eve and to be honest I wont be going back. Service was awful (waiter shouting across the table 'who ordered the steak', 'who ordered the sea bass' etc etc). Menus were on white A4 sheets stapled together. We were served a bottle of warm white wine (which was rectified once we caught the waitress' eye. She didn't even bother to wait to see if we were happy with it once she poured the taster glass).

I should point out that we went in there on the 30th December, the night before, just for a drink and to check the place out before dinner the following night. We left without ordering after being left waiting 10 minutes just to see a drinks menu and a further 15 minutes before we decided to leave. They watched us leave and never asked if everything was ok etc.. Very bad form.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard too many positive reports back (especially about the service) from anyone I've spoken to either. Pity, as I was hoping that it was going to be great given the location etc. Maybe in time it will..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Ate there a few weeks ago. Food was quite nice and reasonably prices but the service was a bit hit and miss. We had a combination of 1 waitress who gave the impression she really didn't want to be there (and also forgot our drinks order with the meal and had to be reminded a couple of times), and then an overly eager waitress with a painful looking forced smile who called down to us about 10 times to ask if everything was Ok.

Having said all that though, I'll be back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭firemouth

been here recently, great experience, friendly service, tasty food, great atmosphere and an absolutely stunning view!

When I saw your post I thought that the Ritz Cinema had reopened......:(

Advertisement