Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Bye Lenin!

• 02-08-2003 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

Went to see this yesterday, was much better than I expected, Although is was promoted as a comedy (it did have it's moments). It struk me as a well made peice of drama. Had some great camera work and editing (lots of old footege from 80s/90s gremany). Thought it really captured the early days of the reunited country. Showed Germany kicking Englands ass in the World Cup Semi, deadly!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

T'was a good film no doubt. Saw it last week in the IFC, full house. A lot of German's there, which explained the laughing when us non-German speakers were still waiting for the subtitles...

Funny in places, well acted, and a good script. You could do worse.

Oh, and it proves that German comedy is nowhere near as bad as people make out. Sample German joke:

"Granny, granny, granny, can I play with your tits?"
    "Yeah, but don't run too far with them..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Makes me want to go see this film! Nice to see an interesting storyline for a change, most films that came out this summer were formulaic/predictable sequels, even most of the "art-house" films that came out seemed to be dull romance stories:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I saw it in UGC on Parnell St. There were 6 other people there, I guess they'll put another Terminator 3 up there soon, let the explosion loving monkey kids empty their pockets while saving them another 10 minutes of waiting time for their serving of tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

IFC is much nicer then the UGC, if your goign to watch those films thats really the place to do it. nice coffee to in the place.

Question, i keep see instead of ratings for films, jsut club, how do i join said club?

Well, in the IFC do the following:

To the right of the ticket window is a long counter where you can get membership. A year costs €15 (I think), and all you have to do is fill out a short form. You must be over 18 though.

Saves having to pay weekly memberships (oh yeah, they're available as well), and they send the catalogue out to your house.

Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I thought it might be something to do about the fact that IFC films don't go by the censor board, and thus are un rated and not available to the general public. I think I'll join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

The IFC is a kinda of Film Club, as such it is not classified as a cinema and can show films sometimes before they are classified or released to it's members. the weekly memberships do cost a fortune though if you end up seeing a few films in the year, the 15 yoyo, pays for itself I guess, I rarely go there though, only in Dubberland for the summer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Brilliant film. it had a great mix of drama and comidy, i'll probably go see it again (in the IFC.. again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

quite a clever little film, like the whole questioning of who's lying to whom (ddr, them, us). partic like the use of the matrix t-shirt, alternative realities, faked realities, that's sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

Yea, agree with all above. Thoroughly enjoyed this film - one of the better ones this summer. And it shows that some germans have a good sense of humour.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Wyvern
    And it shows that some germans have a good sense of humour.

don't let them fool you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

I thought it was amusing (and considerate i suppose) that all the staff in UGC were warning customers that the film had subtitles. I've noticed it lots of times and I guess its because a lot of people don't like subtitles and give out to the staff for not telling them.

I thought it was amusing (and considerate i suppose) that all the staff in UGC were warning customers that the film had subtitles. I've noticed it lots of times and I guess its because a lot of people don't like subtitles and give out to the staff for not telling them.

T'is a sad state of affairs. Would they all prefer the film was dubbed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Very good film, saw it a while ago. Very light hearted and gives a funny portrayal of post wall East Berlin.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Saw it last night. Quite sweet, amusing in a chuckle-way.
    I saw it in the UGC, in the evening, and the place was at least half-full. I've also seen it's on next week as well (according to thier website) so there must be quite a few people who are going to see it. Makes a nice change....

they should just get a sign, outside the door:

WARNING:
    PLEOPLE WHO CANNOT READ ARE NOT ADVISED TO SEE THIS FEATURE!
    people who speak german are welcome

That'll teach 'em.:D

Advertisement