Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Film Magazine?

Options
  • 12-08-2003 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

Well what is the best film magazine, you see I usually alternate between Empire and Total Film but is there any better ones out there?

Comments

The best film magazines is Empire.
    The Best DVD magazine is the one with the free DVD each Month. Cant think of its damb name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The one I buy is Empire, because it's the only one the shop gets in. I wish I hadn't every time though.. it's very predictable at this stage. I'd certainly hope it's not the best out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I find film magazines on the whole to be too commercial and i've never come acroos one that i'd be bothered gettin gevery month.
    Empire is the worst offender IMO, their reviews are particularly bad, always giving crappy blockbusters five stars and the like and their articles and interviews I find pretty superficial... but yeh id be interested in knowing of any good mags out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I've a soft spot for Hotdog. Reviews are usually spot on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Whenever I've read Empire, I've generally wanted to find a can of lighter fluid, a match, and make myself a little fire from glossy trash.... It honestly seems to keep giving a load of movies four or five stars, even the awful blockbusters. It makes it very difficult to know what a really good movie is.
    What movie magazines/reviews are particularly hard to impress? The Irish Time's Ticket mag has sometimes too many 5-star pictures (altho' they're not handed out too liberally. The only big movie, in recent times, to get the 5-stars was "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers". The rest of the time it's to the low budget flicks). How many stars can The Times give? I never seem to see a movie get more than 3....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i used to love SFX and Starburst but haven't bought them in years as the internet is more up to date
    and we wonder why mags don't sell as much anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ixoy
    How many stars can The Times give? I never seem to see a movie get more than 3....
    ... which is just as well as their system runs from 0 to 3:D:p

The Times rating is, at a glance, a different setup compared with the Empire one. The Empire one supposedly rates movies from 1 to 5 based on whether you should go to see it or not. The Times system is 0 to 3 based on how good the movie is. Only a nit-picker would see any distinction at all I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

TBH I find Empire to be excellent. The reviews are usually 100% - even the blockbusters. And tbh they give non-blockbuster type movies 5 stars as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I haven't found a decent one yet.
    Now i just stick to the web.

There are a few good review sites.

www.rottentomatoes.com isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Half Music Half Movies. Uncut was a very good magazine with usually spot on reviews and interesting articles. I say was because i havent bought it for a while so have no idea what it is like now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by therecklessone
    I've a soft spot for Hotdog. Reviews are usually spot on.
    I love Hotdog. I still get Empire, but Hotdog is my favourite. It has the best articles of all the film magazines.

Anyone remember Neon? That was easily the best film magazine ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    I love Hotdog. I still get Empire, but Hotdog is my favourite. It has the best articles of all the film magazines.

Anyone remember Neon? That was easily the best film magazine ever.

Neon was fantastic. My brother and i used to get that mag every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Hotdog is good. Never liked NEON much... thought it was cr*p tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

empire is pretty good its rare they give blockbusters five stars so stop making stuff up

if ur more the film buff type the BFI sight and sound mag is probably the one to go find

Advertisement