Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need advice - Cracking upstairs after extension with RSJ

Options
  • 25-11-2015 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

In August/September we got a kitchen extension (15 year old semi D). House was built as an L shape at the back with the kitchen in the existing one storey 'extension'. So we basically 'squared' the back of the house with the one storey extension now going the full width of the house. The space is open plan so steel was put in across the width of the house.

Build was a trial and we had some issues with a ceiling finish but all seemed fine. Around the first week of October I noticed some hairline cracks in the bedroom directly above the steel. In the weeks since more cracks have appeared. Hairline cracks below and above the windows in the two back bedrooms. The built in wardrobe in one room has slightly come off the wall. There is a hairline crack along wall/ceiling boundary perpendicular to the steel. There are hairline cracks on the corners of both back first floor windows. There are also now hairline cracks in the middle hallway of the house and even one in a front bedroom by the middle wall (which look like they're at a rafter that would lead in a direct line to the centre of the new RSJ at the back of the house).

The engineer who designed and signed off (have all docs and his insurance details) came out today to inspect. He took his time and his take is that there is a normal minimal bit of deflection in the beam and these issues are normal settlement that happens in one out of ten jobs. Said the total absence of any cracks below or on the side of the steel meant it wasn't structural. Said the cracks were caused by the wall load moving slightly. Is going to send me this in an email, took measurements and is going to return in February. Says settlement should be finished by then.

Now, I think this has reassured my wife but being honest I'm still worried. Should I get a second opinion now or is there anything a second opinion can really tell at this early stage?

Have used the engineer on a previous job and have no reason to doubt him. But he gets allot of work from our builder at the same time.

I am worried about there being seriously structural issues. I'm also worried about the potential reduction in the value of the house due to these issues. We only bought this house two and a half years ago and I still remember running a mile from the kinds of cracks that are now emerging in our house.

I am trying to do things by the book in terms of getting engineers to sign things off etc so if we had to claim house insurance in a few years we'd be covered.

All advice gratefully received.

Cheers,
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Structural advice is not allowed on this forum so people will be very limited in what they can say.

Anyway - the devil is in the detail when it comes to cracking. The size and pattern are all important. So nobody who hasn't seen them could really give you any meaningful comment.

A second opinion shouldn't cost more than a site visit plus or minus the cost of a report if you want one. If you are getting another engineer to look at it try to be careful about how you go about informing all parties about each other's roles and involvement. If there is a problem the last thing you want is to make everyone feel like there might be legal issues. Informal methods work best 99% of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Thanks Metric. Totally agree which is why I didn't put any pics of cracks etc up.

I suppose I'm asking for advice on whether I should accept the first engineers advice or go for a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I'm afraid I can't answer that one for you.

As an engineer I'd hate to think any of my clients considered me less than competent but as a consumer I've met some professionals of who's competence I was unsure!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I would wait until you get the final report from your engineer in Feb, and then get a 2nd opinion. Not a huge price to pay for peace of mind vs constantly looking and worrying......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

That's a lot of cracks in a lot of different places!

• Advertisement

Lads,

I'm pretty despondent at the entire process. The large AcuClad slider was supplied by Munster Joinery. The aluminium threshold is badly marked and already rusting.

Turns out now MJ totally disavowing any responsibility - saying the builder must have damaged it with sparks from an angle grinder.

Is there an honest, competent tradesman left in this country? :(

[IMG][/img]IMG_2228.jpg
    photo hosting sites

IMG_2229.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

did you hold money back for snagging?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    did you hold money back for snagging?

Yes. Around 20% of the monies remain to be paid back. But builder getting seriously pushy for payback.

Now I've got to figure out what to do about the door - MJ are saying nothing can be done about it. Builder will say the same. How do I put a value on the damage to the door? Am I entitled to?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

Hi I am considering getting a similar extension done to my house. On viewing a reference I seen similar cracks described as settling cracks.
    Just wondering five years later how did you get on?

Hi tiger wood,

In the end the cracks were in ceilings upstairs. It’s six years later and no further issues and no cracks downstairs - all upstairs.

Haven’t yet fixed them up - waiting for kids to get a bit older before doing a full on repaint/redecorate.

Quad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

quad_red wrote: »
    Hi tiger wood,

In the end the cracks were in ceilings upstairs. It’s six years later and no further issues and no cracks downstairs - all upstairs.

Haven’t yet fixed them up - waiting for kids to get a bit older before doing a full on repaint/redecorate.

Quad

Good to hear. Thanks for the reply

Advertisement