Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help OC 2500k + Asrock Z68 Pro3-M

Options
  • 25-08-2011 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Moved from building forum.
    freestyla wrote:
    I can't pass 4.3GHz
    deconduo wrote:
    What cooler do you have and what sort of temperatures are you getting? What voltage are you at to get 4.3GHz and how much have you tried to get higher? The limiting factor might not be the motherboard.

Cooler is Noctua NH-U9B SE2 and right now with 1 fan. I enjoy silence tongue.gif
    Case has 2x12cm and 1x14cm fans.
    @ 4.3GHz:
    CPU temp at idle is 32C, at Prime95 load 68C.
    CPU voltages is AUTO. RAM voltage fixed at 1.65 as per XMP.
    Tried to lock CPU voltage at 1.2 but couldn't load the Windows, so left it at AUTO.

Should I add another Noctua CPU fan to produce push-pull effect?
    Well there are two case fans around CPU which are pulling air out so doubt extra CPU fan would be much more efficient and I would rather not produce much more noise.

But also I guess limiting factor is my OC knowledge. I used to OC successfully with AMD Socket A and Intel 775 but SB has so more things to take in concern. Also I find it pretty hard to find correct information probably due terminology in BIOS (UEFI) + all little abbreviations differences people use on forums.. for example when talking about voltages.. so confusing seriously, what is the most correct way of OC Asrock Z68 Pro3 confused.gif[/QUOTE]
    deconduo wrote: »
    Yeah its the CPU voltage thats limiting you I would guess. Try starting at 1.3V and seeing at what speeds its stable at. Then slowly bump up the voltage .01V at a time and do a P95 test to check stability and temperatures. You want temps under 75C and don't exceed 1.35V

Lightning fast answer thanks! It always helps to get another opinion what comes to playing with voltages.. will go for around 1.3 then.

Do you have some suggestion for these? or at least what they mean shortly? redface.gif
    • Internal PLL overvoltage
    • CPU Load-Line Calibration
    • PCH voltage
    • CPU PLL voltage
    • VTT voltage
    • VCCSA voltage

Pic of my bios.

Then there is confusing information about these as well, enable or disable or possible fixed figures?
    • Hardware prefetcher
    • Adjacent Cache line prefetch
    • C1E
    • CPU C3 state support
    • CPU C6 state support
    • Package C state support

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

No other OCers with combination 2500k + Asrock Z68 Pro3 ?

Interested in voltages.. what affects them to spike up and down?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Here's an excellent guide for overclocking sandybridge cpus for absolute beginners. Really easy to follow with pics and all:
    http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Mine goes up to 4.5, without messing with voltages,how much do you want to get, i dont think you will get more than 4,7 anyway on this

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

freestyla wrote: »

Do you have some suggestion for these? or at least what they mean shortly? redface.gif
    • Internal PLL overvoltage
    • CPU Load-Line Calibration
    • PCH voltage
    • CPU PLL voltage
    • VTT voltage
    • VCCSA voltage

Pic of my bios.

Then there is confusing information about these as well, enable or disable or possible fixed figures?
    • Hardware prefetcher
    • Adjacent Cache line prefetch
    • C1E
    • CPU C3 state support
    • CPU C6 state support
    • Package C state support

Not much experience OC-ing sandy bridge but hey OC is OC. ;)

Load line calibration should be set to enabled or in your case to max setting as it reduces vdroop, which in turn gives you a more stable cpu voltage.

Try to increase PLL voltage on manual, ASUS mobos will display values in white-yellow-red depending on how high the voltage is.

Leave the rest on auto.

Ditch C1E, C3, C6 straight away.

Good luck, and happy OC-ing.

Advertisement