Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No heatpump, HRV or underfloor on a new build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

I'm going to buck the trend a bit here -

On some of the new houses I recommend high efficiency condensing oil fired boilers with rads rather than heat pumps. When I discuss with the client how they propose to live and what they expect from a heating system I often find that their proposed lifestyle is not best suited to a heat pump / uf lifestyle.

It's amazing how little oil is actually used to keep a new house warm, particularly when coupled with appropriate thermal mass and a good MHRV system.

I always require good air-tightness detailing from the contractor and I always recommend MHRV. (Sometimes the clients don't agree regarding MHRV and if so we look at alternatives!)

how do you get over the renewables requirements for part L when you go with a condensing boiler ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

thebackbar wrote: »
    how do you get over the renewables requirements for part L when you go with a condensing boiler ?

Solar panels and wood stoves usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Solar panels and wood stoves usually.

Are there specific models of wood burning stoves that need to.be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Are there specific models of wood burning stoves that need to.be used?

They have to be stoves capable of burning ONLY wood and they must have documentation from the manufacturer saying that they cannot burn any other material.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

thebackbar wrote:

PV Solar Panels, and wood burning stove,

• Advertisement

Update: A condensing oil burner+woodburning stove+ solar will comply with the regulations. This is the type of system I'm considering strongly , possibly with a mechanical HRV(fan +foam+ceramic in wall).
    Alu rads will be installed up+down and 2 pipes to add heatpump or other in the future.
    Cost of this heating system is approx 6k. Ventilation is approx 500 per unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭893bet

6k? No chance!

For labour, solar kit, hot water tank, heating controls, all the rads, pipes, fittings, boiler, oil tank, stove etc.

You won't have change from 12k, maybe more depending on size of solar required, number of rads etc.

My heating system is similar. External oil boiler, rads, 50 tube solar with 400l tank(this was 3k or more alone for solar), rads, plus two stoves.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

Update: A condensing oil burner+woodburning stove+ solar will comply with the regulations. This is the type of system I'm considering strongly , possibly with a mechanical HRV(fan +foam+ceramic in wall).
    Alu rads will be installed up+down and 2 pipes to add heatpump or other in the future.
    Cost of this heating system is approx 6k. Ventilation is approx 500 per unit.
    what size house do you mind me asking ?

thebackbar wrote: »
    what size house do you mind me asking ?

200sqm

893bet wrote: »
    6k? No chance!

You won't have change from 12k

6k is for material only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭893bet

6k is for material only

I still can't see it.

Off top of my head my materials....
    Solar materials 3k
    Boiler 1200
    Solar tank 400l 1k

Plus all pipe work, copper, rads, heating controls, valves, oil tank, etc.

Not sure if you are including cost of stove in your 6k.

I have no change from 17k (might even be more but that is a minimum) when mine is all done (includes cost of 5k for two nice stoves). And my materminal cost is low as I have a close contact in suppliers.

Advertisement