Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing/Replacing flat roof

Options
  • 29-08-2015 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

We just bought a semi detached house. It has a garage at the side (which shares a wall with next door) with a flat roof. It has been converted to a self contained granny flat. We have found issues with damp internally which is being addressed but water ingress may still be a problem in the front corner of the roof at the join of the garage and main house and also at the join of the neighbours garage.

The garage itself runs the entire length of the house(approx 30ft long x 8ft wide), and needs a complete refit internally due to the damp and general lack of maintenance for the past 17 years, so we are thinking if we are going back to bare brick we may as well do it right from the get go.

So I am looking for a rough estimate for the following if anyone has any experience with it;

How much to repair the the entire wood frame roof to a complete finish and make water tight? Would probably need some batons replaced in the corners and a complete re-felt.
    How much to replace the entire roof for a more modern and durable flat roof solution? What options are there that won't cost the bank?
    How much to replace with a 'lean to', and would I need planning permission for this? Probably the most favourable option if its within our budget.
    How much to replace with a gable roof (rising from front and rear with apex at centre of house) and would I need planning permission for this?
    Finally, how much for gable or a lean to with a hip at the front, sightly extending the property to include a large storm porch at the front, and again, would I need planning permission for this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

1: can u post a pic or two pls?
    2: any changes to the existing roof profile will require PP.

Option 3 probably a non runner, maybe an A long ways.

Too late now but does the ext. as is, have planning.
    Could have been missed in the purchase.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

1: can u post a pic or two pls?
    2: any changes to the existing roof profile will require PP.

Option 3 probably a non runner, maybe an A long ways.

Too late now but does the ext. as is, have planning.
    Could have been missed in the purchase.

I'll post pics on Monday when I'm over. The garage was built with the existing house and converted to a granny flat pre '92 so is exempt apparently. Any rough idea on turnaround for pp with kildare cc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Planning/makingaplanningapplication/
    I belive 12 weeks, allowing for appeals, not my area

you might find this useful as its boundary issue also
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0027/sec0043.html#sec43

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

If you intend to replace the roof with another flat (felt type) roof, you may not be able to get house insurance.
    I'm acquiring estimates at the moment to replace the felted flat roof on our granny flat for a tiled pitch roof because no insurance will insure us at the moment because of the flat roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

bagels wrote: »
    If you intend to replace the roof with another flat (felt type) roof, you may not be able to get house insurance.
    I'm acquiring estimates at the moment to replace the felted flat roof on our granny flat for a tiled pitch roof because no insurance will insure us at the moment because of the flat roof.
    -snip-

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

bagels wrote: »

What you need to do is ask

'What is your insurance companies definition of a flat roof?'

The last insurance company I asked, admitted that a flat roof was less than 1.5 degrees. If anyone is re-roofing/ installing a flat roof they can design and install a roof of more than 1.5 degrees easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

-snip-

I wasn't giving an add just quoting an answer I got to a similar question on this forum a few months ago about flat roofs and insurances
    Interesting enough about the definition of a flat roof been under 1.5 degrees so anything steeper than a 1:40 slope should get around that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

I did some research on the insurance implications, and another rule of thumb appears to be the area of the flat roof being less than 20% of the total floor area of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

we were told less then 30%, we have insurance

Advertisement