Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas The Tank Engine is 'classist, sexist and racist'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Article is by Tracy Van Slyke, who takes offence at anything that she hasn't personally written herself, as this article shows.

The bad guy is a "person of colour". Like bright red.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Children's shows often contain hidden messages but this is ridiculous.
    When I have children I don't think I will let them watch tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Sorry, this has to be a parody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Wasn't there an article on this last year? Are we going to be treated it to every once in a while or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

She'll get three months worth out of Noddy and Big ears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

She'll get three months worth out of Noddy and Big ears.

Haha, wasn't there a town of gollywogs in it originally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

That woman needs to get a job or even just leave the house for awhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

All this talk of "isms", are we not living in one of the greatest era of human history, where freedom is a concept that rules over most of the planet (to do anything, enjoy anything) and then we have this **** to complain about because we're so bored, and distant from the pressures of survival?

As Louis C.K said it as eloquently as anybody ever did "Everything is amazing and nobody is happy"

I want to live in a world where stories about talking steam trains are fun trivial thing, how much other **** has happened on trains in the past?

Unless the cartoon is depicting holocaust victims on a train, this is just inane, incidental stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

gandalf wrote: »
    I always knew there was something dodgy about TTTE!

Now if we can just find something wrong with Peppa Pig!!!!
    Apparently Peppa is deemed a bit too bossy and cheeky to her parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭whitelight

Its a cartoon...take a chill pill.you have way to much time on your hands!! What will u do when the kid learns to read or use computers.better stock up on the cotton wool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I remember the time Thomas bumped into Daisy from behind and she spread oil all over the tracks and got very wet. I was trying hard to stifle the giggles reading it. (To my 3 year old at the time I might add)

That must be what they meant, subliminal messages or something. My young lad was obsessed by it, could name all the engines at the age of 3, must be 50/60 of them, he must keep his classist, sexist and racist views well hidden then.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Links234 wrote: »
    They're the left version of the daily mail, they publish this kinda thing because it gets them clicks and ad revenue.

To be fair to the guardian, they allow anyone to publish in the comment section. They've had all types of right wing nutjobs in there too. During the Crimea crises they had the russian foreign minister write a piece.

Whereas the daily mail generally doesn't have anyone left at all.

You're still right about it being click bait though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

K-9 wrote: »
    I remember the time Thomas bumped into Daisy from behind and she spread oil all over the tracks and got very wet. I was trying hard to stifle the giggles reading it. (To my 3 year old at the time I might add)

That must be what they meant, subliminal messages or something. My young lad was obsessed by it, could name all the engines at the age of 3, must be 50/60 of them, he must keep his classist, sexist and racist views well hidden then.

I had a Thomas train set. To be fair, I got my first train set before I'd even heard of thomas.

Magaggie wrote: »

And Pig is a bold word, as well as offensive to Muslims and Jews, But then "Peppa the Halal Chicken" doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

For someone like her to be offended by a pink steam engine in a kids TV show that is meant to be red, for the love of Jaysus please cop onto yourself and try and get a life as we all do ourselves in our own miserable lives.

I actually do like Thomas as I did as a kid. And tbf I see no else complaining about it will you. I would beg to differ on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

If the Guardian is to ape the Daily Mail in firing out cheap articles designed to attract clicks then they'll need to put more ads and referral links on their site. Hell, even the journal.ie does a better job. Papers like the Telegraph and Irish Times are dying because they still hold on to this old-fashioned concept of journalistic integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They like Bagpuss though, because it's about Marxism.

kowloon wrote: »
    They like Bagpuss though, because it's about Marxism.

It is??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Rev. W Awdry stories are fine. Because the engines behave properly. The later ones by others are terrible, scant regard to safe railway procedure :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

From the thread title alone I just knew this would be a Guardian article.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I won't watch the new aberration with my kids. They fcuked it up with that sht new title song and animation. Only 80s Ringo job in this gaff.

I just see some Guardian columns as necesassry revenue generating titbits put in for a certain near parodic segment of their 'Tristan and India' readership. Like the intellectual equivalent of a magazine running titty line ads to fund the rest of the articles

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Strange auld world were has been class which had once been linked with the finer and more elegant attributes in life has been turned into a term of abuse. I'd say even the vast majority of those left of centre would regard this Guardian article with embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Magaggie wrote: »

The dad is supposedly an unfair parody of men because he's a pompous music bore, overweight and keeps fcking up basic DIY tasks despite pretending to be good at them in front of other men.

Don't see the problem, myself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The railway of Sodor should be shut down. The amount of accidents there is unreal. Was watching one today, crazy behaviour from Thomas. He was racing Bertie the Bus and kept going off the main line down service lines looking for a shortcut. One line was a disused line, and Thomas was going so fast he went through a buffer blocking the end of the line and off the end and almost out on a road.
    All this and he had Annie and Clarabel full of passengers, it's amazing no one was badly injured :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

@OP I'll bet you are a Fat Controller

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Isn't The Fat Controller able to change schedules and order trains about on a whim because, well, he's the controller?

I have two jobs. One has an extremely rigid hierarchy with numerous levels, in which if you don't do what the guy above tells you to do, you can go to jail. The other job has a very flat and open structure, in which if you don't do what the guy above tells you to do, you can get fired. (The first is the Army, the second is in a computer game company).

I'm not entirely sure what the bad lesson is here when a child is instructed that such hierarchies exist, the boss -has- the authority to order people about, need not explain himself to you, need not make sense to you, and they'd better get used to the concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Jesus Christ is anything sacred

No, Bugs Bunny is gay.

The cigarette holder, the smoking jacket, dressing up as a Southern Belle at the drop of a hat, always kissing Elmer Fudd on the lips.

http://www.citizenofthemonth.com/2007/10/27/fans-shocked-at-bugs-bunny-gay-revelation/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I'd love to see what the wagon who wrote this piece would say about Girls und Panzer

Gotta love the Japanese haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Don't think I'd be that keen taking a train on sodor, come to think of it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Train wreck of an article

Advertisement