Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Closing your account. Why?

• 20-07-2014 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I've noticed this is a common thing.
    Often among posters who have racked up thousands of posts over years and really 'established' themselves in certain forums. They have 'friends', engage in daily chat, make smart and funny posts.
    Then out of nowhere: CLOSED ACCOUNT.

I don't get it. Do they just burn out, get sick of spending so much time on a message board and decide to try out the real world for a while? Or is it a privacy issue, do they feel they have 'revealed too much'?

I've been around here for quite a while. Sometimes I disappear for weeks because life gets busy, other times I post and browse and thank posts far too frequently than probably is normal....but I've never considered closing my account. I like having a boards identity that no-one in the real world knows about (I think...). I like expressing my opinions on stuff and sometimes having my mind changed. I like looking over posts that I wrote sometimes, in a sense they've sort of chronicled the adventures I've had over the last few years.

So what's up with it? Do they just all come back and re-reg? Or do they just disappear into the ether?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

beks101 wrote: »
    Often among posters who have racked up thousands of posts over years and really 'established' themselves in certain forums. They have 'friends', engage in daily chat, make smart and funny posts.
    Then out of nowhere: CLOSED.

I don't get it. Do they just burn out, get sick of spending so much time on a message board and decide to try out the real world for a while? Or is it a privacy issue, do they feel they have 'revealed too much'?

I've been around here for quite a while. Sometimes I disappear for weeks because life gets busy, other times I post and browse and thank posts far too frequently than probably is normal....but I've never considered closing my account. I like having a boards identity that no-one in the real world knows about (I think...). I like expressing my opinions on stuff and sometimes having my mind changed. I like looking over posts that I wrote sometimes, in a sense they've sort of chronicled the adventures I've had over the last few years.

So what's up with it? Do they just all come back and re-reg? Or do they just disappear into the ether?

They either sober up or get jobs what the economy improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

I've done it quite a few times, I just like to think up slightly witty usernames & try them out. I'm not precious about post counts, or being looked up to as a sage of boards.
    I'm sure others do the same as me, a change is as good as a rest and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

They either sober up or get jobs what the economy improving.

I'm sober about 90% of the time and work 60+ hours a week.
    I'm still here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

This always confuses me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

There's also the (perceived) danger that an unpopular opinion you may have posted on something could stick to you, and undermine any other points you have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They do it because it's an option. Simple as that I'd say

There's also the (perceived) danger that an unpopular opinion you may have posted on something could stick to you, and undermine any other points you have

No, probably not since the attention span of most boards users is less than that of a goldfish .....and time to re-reg
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Some people are students and shut their account as exams approach. I came close to doing that myself earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

They've suddenly decided there's a big world out there and to spend all that time cooped up at the computer is unhealthy and unsociable.

In summary - they grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm sober about 90% of the time and work 60+ hours a week.
    I'm still here.

Maybe they just mature and get a life in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I had a previous account before which was lost due to the hacking in 2010 (I seem to say on this every thread of this nature). That said, it was a good chance to regain some anonymity.

I think a lot of people give away tonnes of information online. Some are fine with it but I guess others may realise they've built up a 'profile' of themselves e.g. female, teacher, age 30+, lives in Dublin, went to DCU etc and want to take a step back for one reason or another.

Obviously if you were to forensically examine every post of a given user you could do the above but I think people learn to be a bit more discerning over time and no doubt many, if not most of those closed accounts are still here under a new name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

People hold grudges and will often get personal. Sometimes an account change is necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'd be certain that a lot of big name posters who closed their account are still around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I've done it quite a few times, I just like to think up slightly witty usernames & try them out. I'm not precious about post counts, or being looked up to as a sage of boards.
    I'm sure others do the same as me, a change is as good as a rest and all that

:eek: who are you???

I've considered it myself when I have a lot of stuff to do, it's easy to say "I'll just check boards for a minute", start posting and get involved in something and still be here an hour (or three) later, sometimes it's maybe in your best interest to just not give yourself that option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'd say a lot of the time it's because they've made themselves too identifiable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

When I did it I was worried people I know in real life found me, don't want that :D:p

Macavity. wrote: »
    People hold grudges and will often get personal. Sometimes an account change is necessary.

a) There's a block facility

b) Even if there wasn't (a), you'd have to be profoundly sensitive.

Maybe they just mature and get a life in the real world.

Are you incapable of having a life if you also post on a message board?
    Must have missed that memo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd say some fairly good points made about them being identifiable and perhaps not wishing to be identified with certain stances. Still, what is life without a little baggage.

If we refer back to mike65 who, on average, posted every waking hour for 10 years, then yes - it's certainly a potential addiction that many on boards have to seek professional treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

You'd be easily enough identifiable after about 1000 posts I'd say, unless you were extremely reserved in what you post. That's why I set a new account up every 6 months

If we refer back to mike65 who, on average, posted every waking hour for 10 years, then yes - it's certainly a potential addiction that many on boards have to seek professional treatment.

Who's Mike65? Did he end up in rehab for boards addiction?

You'd be easily enough identifiable after about 1000 posts I'd say, unless you were extremely reserved in what you post. That's why I set a new account up every 6 months

But who cares if you're identifiable? Why should that change how you post? :confused:
    Who's Mike65? Did he end up in rehab for boards addiction?

Highest ever poster with over 90,000 posts. Left after he was given a yellow card in the football forum and never seen since.

Conspiracy forum have erected a thread in his honour.

what are people posting that they're so worried about people finding out about? If someone wanted to go digging through my posts they could find my name and picture pretty quickly, I've had this account since I was a teenager so I'm sure there's some cringey or ill-thought-out posts there, and there are definitely a RAKE of drunk ones, but it doesn't particularly bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I had a stalker who would get banned and re-register.
    His problem was in the weather forum where I didn't want snow.

I closed the account and that solved it, he should be calmed down by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

a) There's a block facility

b) Even if there wasn't (a), you'd have to be profoundly sensitive.

I'm merely giving an example of why someone would set up a new account. Also, it could be more a matter of practicality than being sensitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

what are people posting that they're so worried about people finding out about? If someone wanted to go digging through my posts they could find my name and picture pretty quickly, I've had this account since I was a teenager so I'm sure there's some cringey or ill-thought-out posts there, and there are definitely a RAKE of drunk ones, but it doesn't particularly bother me.

From a professional perspective, it's something I'm wary of due to my industry and the role I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Wouldn't it be ironic if a poster closed their account after posting on this thread?

Sugar Free wrote: »
    From a professional perspective, it's something I'm wary of due to my industry and the role I have.

:o whoops, d'uh, now that you say it it's obvious. I thought people meant they'd be worried about their friends finding them or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

There is an ever increasing number of trolls and and How-do-they-not-fall-down-more idiots on boards.

To paraphrase a Czech gun runner called Max, "Anonymity is like a warm blanket". Closing your account with 10,000+ posts and starting afresh can be liberating.

syklops wrote: »
    Closing your account with 10,000+ posts and starting afresh can be liberating.

I knew 10,000 posts was high but I didn't think it made you that high.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

:eek: who are you???

I've considered it myself when I have a lot of stuff to do, it's easy to say "I'll just check boards for a minute", start posting and get involved in something and still be here an hour (or three) later, sometimes it's maybe in your best interest to just not give yourself that option.
    But closing your account doesnt stop you from posting, since its so easy to make a new account as we see from a lot of the re-regs, the only way to really stop it is to get a ban (and even then there are ways around that). There was a time when you could ask a mod for a ban iirc

Regaining anonymity makes sense, but it's annoying in a way for the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I reckon a few felt they were on it too much and decided deleting their account was the best option. Remember Dudess? She had a few different accounts. Must have had over 50,000 posts in total. There could be many other reasons why someone decides to delete their account though. Some just get fed up with their username.

Waiting for the 'Closing your thread. Why?' thread...

I'd hazard a guess I am inherently identifiable at this stage to anyone who knows me and posts on boards. Not bothered.
    Professionally it would be a bit unsettling to be identified but I haven't exactly pulled a Snowden on them, most of my posts involve my personal and not professional life. So if they'd even actually heard of boards in the first place I'd say they couldn't give a shyte about my account. So not aRsed on that front either.

• Advertisement

But closing your account doesnt stop you from posting, since its so easy to make a new account as we see from a lot of the re-regs, the only way to really stop it is to get a ban (and even then there are ways around that). There was a time when you could ask a mod for a ban iirc

Regaining anonymity makes sense, but it's annoying in a way for the rest of us.

A lot of the time I "check" boards and see an interesting thread or a post that annoys me, I know I shouldn't waste my time responding but all I have to do is click one little button and I'm off. If I had to go through the whole new username, new password, maybe even having to set up a new email address (presumably you can't use one that's been used before), confirmation email and so on I'd be much less likely to do that. I know it only takes five minutes but it's five minutes versus two seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I've seen people with 10k posts closing their accounts and reregistering with their old username using a number or extra letter as they can't register with their old username. Not much anonymity there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

RobertKK wrote: »
    I had a stalker who would get banned and re-register.
    His problem was in the weather forum where I didn't want snow.

I closed the account and that solved it, he should be calmed down by now.

Found yer :rolleyes:

Only kiddin :p

I knew 10,000 posts was high but I didn't think it made you that high.

You can make enemies with 20+ posts. With 10,000 you can make a lot of enemies.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I've seen people with 10k posts closing their accounts and reregistering with their old username using a number or extra letter as they can't register with their old username. Not much anonymity there.

They clearly have a different motivation. Maybe they got banned?

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be ironic if a poster closed their account after posting on this thread?

That's not ironic, it's a racing certainty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

AH: Hi, mike65. You look like you've got something to say. Do you?

mike65: Yes, I certainly do! (his image freezes, and we hear an MCD voice dubbing over the image, saying…) I have to go now. My planet needs me.

(The animation cell with mike65 on it actually slides upward in a choppy manner as a slide-whistle sound is heard. Then a note in red marker appears, reading: "NOTE: mike65 died on the way back to his home planet.)

AH: Wow, mike65 came from another planet?

AH: Uh, I guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Closed my previous account because too many wimmins were sending me PM's of their boobies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

For me it's a lot like the Ulster Bank.

Sure, you can just walk away and leave it, but unless you physically close it those bastards will keep taking their €4 a month fee and before you know it, you owe them money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Closed my previous account because too many wimmins were sending me PM's of their boobies.

No wonder you.... snapped :P

Re: Closed accounts, I guess some people like a fresh start, some people just like to take a break and the "closed account" feature gives them closure to move on, or come back, when they've had a break.

I know why so many of them closed their accounts.

I cannot tell you all though, because they would hunt me down and kill me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭KahBoom

To get away from the site semi-permanently when, after getting to know someone briefly and losing contact, it became a mindfúck (will probably dump this account as well eventually - tried to avoid creating a new one :)).

Probably way down on the list of reasons people close their account though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Probably coming close to a perma ban ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Do you miss mike65 too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

When I did it I was worried people I know in real life found me, don't want that :D:p

You did let slip your old username 2 days ago so time to start again :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement