Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those damn cyclists again!

Options
  • 16-07-2014 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭

I'll probably get bashed by the fitness fanatics on here , but I have a serious pain my ass with cyclist entitlement when I'm driving to work in the morning. Twice in the last week I've been forced to swerve into an outer lane and nearly collide with another car because someone was cycling to far on the inside on the road , they ask all motorists to be aware of cyclists and that's fine, but cyclists also need to be aware of motorists and the danger they are causing in busy morning periods.

It's also grinds my gears that they slow down my trip into work by 5-10 minutes everyday by taking up the lanes , slowing down traffic , slowing down crossing lanes and they have free use of the roads while the rest of us have to pay for them.

Surely with the ammount of cyclists now they should be paying something to use the public roads even a flat fee of €30 a year or something. Don't even get me started on breaking red lights or cycling out in front of cars , I know there's laws taking action against this now but from what I see it hasn't really stopped it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

They don't even pay road tax joe....

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I think they should be Licensed, made to do a theory test on rules of the road and driving etiquette.

Their selfishness on the roads infuriate's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

someone cycling too far inside a lane caused you to almost swerve into the other lane? lolwut? I'd sort your own road sense first 'fore complaining about someone elses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

From either a cyclist's or driver's point of view, it sounds like you're a menace on the roads if you're swerving and nearly causing accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

When should they start paying, OP? From the age of 6 or so, when they start cycling to school? Do you have any other ideas to discourage people from taking exercise?

Just think how much slower your commute would be if all those cyclists were in cars instead.

And he could well have been so far out on the road because it was too dangerous to cycle closer to the footpath.

• Advertisement

ellejay wrote: »
    ...Their selfishness on the roads infuriates me.

All of them?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Irishcrx wrote: »
    It's also grinds my gears that they slow down my trip into work by 5-10 minutes everyday by taking up the lanes , slowing down traffic , slowing down crossing lanes and they have free use of the roads while the rest of us have to pay for them.

Tough sh*t. Bikes were around longer than cars.

And the reason they don't pay tax is because bikes do practically 0 damage to roads. If everyone cycled the road maintenance bill would plummet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I always laugh at how drivers have no problem stopping to let another driver turn or parralel park or pull out.......but if a cyclist is slowing them down they go berserk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

When I'm driving I give out about cyclists and when I'm cycling I give out about motorists.
    They're both bastards if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'll probably get bashed by the fitness fanatics on here , but I have a serious pain my ass with cyclist entitlement when I'm driving to work in the morning. Twice in the last week I've been forced to swerve into an outer lane and nearly collide with another car because someone was cycling to far on the inside on the road , they ask all motorists to be aware of cyclists and that's fine, but cyclists also need to be aware of motorists and the danger they are causing in busy morning periods.

Surely with the ammount of cyclists now they should be paying something to use the public roads even a flat fee of €30 a year or something. Don't even get me started on breaking red lights or cycling out in front of cars , I know there's laws taking action against this now but from what I see it hasn't really stopped it.
    Yes, lets put thousands of more cars back on the road. That'll get you to work quicker every morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Another road user in the lane cause you to swerve?

Do you swerve into another lane every time you catch up to a slower car in front of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

No no. Whatever you think you did right was wrong. You were in the wrong position.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The wonderful news is that no government is going to grant your wish and force cyclists to be licensed or insured,charge us a fee, or force us into particular lanes in the road or limit our access.

The opposite will happen in the next decade, more cycle lanes, cycle routes and greenways, expanded bikeshare schemes, bike priority traffic lights.
    More and more cyclists on the roads, some whizzing past you stuck in traffic, others leisure cyclists meandering along.

Its going to be great, so deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Scruffy...The Janitor

and they have free use of the roads while the rest of us have to pay for them.

At risk of recycling an extremely extensively made point at this stage:

Motor tax =/= Road tax

they have free use of the roads while the rest of us have to pay for them.

Proof if ever it were needed that it doesnt matter how many times a point is made....it doesnt matter how many times a message is hammered home..if people want to believe something else entirely, regardless of it being the complete opposite of reality, they will believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Wossack wrote: »
    someone cycling too far inside a lane caused you to almost swerve into the other lane? lolwut? I'd sort your own road sense first 'fore complaining about someone elses

What part of this doesn't make sence to you? I've been driving for ten years...If I'm dirivng on a two lane road with a cycling lane on the far left and I'm overtaking a bike, bike doesn't look behind him and moves out into the ROAD to overtake another bike I'm forced to slam on the brakes and move into the outer right lane to avoid knocking him off the bike, traffic in the right lane can't see the cyclist and also has to move to avoid my car coming into his lane lane...

Problem caused by cyclist not looking for traffic and moving into the road the middle of the road instead of using cycle lane??What am I meant to do like obviously some people on here have godly powers of intervention or have never driven on a public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

IBT(bike)L

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rothar_man

maybe loose a few pounds and get a bike yourself.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Surely with the amount of cyclists now they should be paying something to use the public roads even a flat fee of €30 a year or something. Don't even get me started on breaking red lights or cycling out in front of cars , I know there's laws taking action against this now but from what I see it hasn't really stopped it.

1. Why did you feel the need to swerve? Surely you saw the cyclist in time, slowed down behind him and passed when safe to do so?
    2. Try living in the country where there are no cycle lanes, no hard shoulders, cattle crossing to and from work.
    3. Nobody should break the rules of the road. Cyclist, driver pedestrian.
    4. Why do you feel that you should have the right of way on a road? Is it because you drive a car?
    5. What would this 30 euro fee be used for?

- Daily Driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

they have free use of the roads while the rest of us have to pay for them.
    Cyclists pay no tax? When did the Revenue make this massive change and how come no one told me? Was it in the newspapers or something?

* Runs off to buy buy a bike *

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

While I don't agree with most of the OP's point, it is a bit mad that anyone can go down to Halfords, buy a bike, and set off among busy traffic without any knowledge of the rules of the road, testing, or even insurance to cover themselves if anything happens!

No doubt all the cycling heads will be along shortly to say that it works fine in Europe etc and that's true.. but we don't have the public transport or cycling infrastructure that cities like Amsterdam do. Like it or not we are a very car dependent country - even more so if you live outside Dublin.

I think the OP's complaint probably relates to the idea that cyclists are no longer required to use cycle lanes (where provided). I'm aware that many of these are shyte, but add in a load of untrained cyclists to already busy traffic lanes and it's no wonder there's problems!

And yes, I'm aware that there are quite a lot of ignorant dumbass drivers too - the difference is that you have some comeback there with mandatory insurance, license plates etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What does that even mean? So some bike is overtaking another bike and you are trying to overtake them, that means you did not no think things through and drove dangerously. Are people seriously complaining about cyclist who use the inside of the road and ones who use the middle of the road on these threads? Why would you have to swerve, why were you so close?

You don't pay for the roads, we all do with tax, you pay for the use of your motor in public places and it is based on your CO2 emissions.

I don't see how they are slowing you down when you are dangerously driving past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

What part of this doesn't make sence to you? I've been driving for ten years...If I'm dirivng on a two lane road with a cycling lane on the far left and I'm overtaking a bike, bike doesn't look behind him and moves out into the ROAD to overtake another bike I'm forced to slam on the brakes and move into the outer right lane to avoid knocking him off the bike, traffic in the right lane can't see the cyclist and also has to move to avoid my car coming into his lane lane...

Problem caused by cyclist not looking for traffic and moving into the road the middle of the road instead of using cycle lane??What am I meant to do like obviously some people on here have godly powers of intervention or have never driven on a public road.

what you've described here, is very different to what you originally wrote

I'd be in favour of dashcams, and cow catchers - so if someone does that to you, you're legally allowed just scoop em out of your way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Sorry... what? 95% of cyclists that are on the roads ALSO have a car including myself. I am ALREADY paying to use the road and paying motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

furiousox wrote: »
    All of them?

pretty much, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Speaking as a motorcyclist, car driver and cyclist, I have to say that cyclists are generally the worst on the road but car drivers are not too far behind them. Main gripe with fellow cyclists is breaking the lights, but a lot of drivers don't even know the basic rules of the road and their awareness of what's going around them is frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

blackwhite wrote: »
    Another road user in the lane cause you to swerve?

Do you swerve into another lane every time you catch up to a slower car in front of you?

Ah come on. You can hardly expect him to drive at a responsible speed, enabling him to slow down until the road is clear.

Those pesky cyclists have turned him into a bad driver godammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Guill wrote: »
    1. Why did you feel the need to swerve? Surely you saw the cyclist in time, slowed down behind him and passed when safe to do so?
    2. Try living in the country where there are no cycle lanes, no hard shoulders, cattle crossing to and from work.
    3. Nobody should break the rules of the road. Cyclist, driver pedestrian.
    4. Why do you feel that you should have the right of way on a road? Is it because you drive a car?
    5. What would this 30 euro fee be used for?

- Daily Driver.

Lads, I get that this is after hours and it's easy to have a go at me and say I'm a bad driver and it's my fault yadda yadda. I had to swerve to avoid him because no I didn't expect him to come flying out of the cycle lane and into the middle of the road to overtake two other bikes, I expected the bikes to stay in the cycle lane while there was traffic moving to the side of them. What am I meant to do stay behind every single bike that's to the left of me??

Had I been driving on a road with no cycle lane , then yes I would have been more aware that the bikes are also in a tight space and being pushed to the left hand side of the road. But some on, anyone who drives see's this all the time and it's always the cyclists roading and shouting it's not ALWAYS the drivers fault, it just seems like cyclists seem to play the victim all the time when they themselves do extremely dangerous and stupid thing's to both themselves and road users.

ellejay wrote: »
    pretty much, yes.

Grand so.
    The impatience of all motorists infuriates me too.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    While I don't agree with most of the OP's point, it is a bit mad that anyone can go down to Halfords, buy a bike, and set off among busy traffic without any knowledge of the rules of the road, testing, or even insurance to cover themselves if anything happens!

Ironically, if cyclists learned more about the rules of the road, they would soon realise that they have far more rights than they realise.

Of course that mightnt suit the OP.

A lot of cyclists are far too cautious, they keep far too close to the kerb because they think they feel obliged to give cars room to pass by. This is not the case. Cyclists should keep left, but they are perfectly entitled to cycle a full metre from the kerb or from parked cars, and if that means holding up cars behind them then tough - because cyclists pay tax too and are equally entitled to use the roads.

Advertisement