Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 After Hours World Cup oh my god i can't wait for a month of football thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

On paper France have an easy ride to the Quarters but I can't see them winning given how much the struggled in qualifying,as for Holland I don't think people realize how big of a loss Van Der Vaart and Strootman are that's the 2 best midfielders on that team gone,along with no Van der Wiel.

Holland wont come out of their group. Fact

I think France are underestimated. Griezmann is in great form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Boooooooooo
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    The World Cup starts in 5 days time.

Will you be watching?

Home/Pub/Mates pad.
    Will you be giving out about the soaps not being shown at their usual times?

N/A - hate soaps.
    Is football the scourge of the English?

Yes and no.
    Are we all barstooling ****?

I literally prefer anywhere except the barstool.
    Who'll have the best looking supporters this time round?

Italy or Brazil.
    Will Uncle Woy's lions not even make it from the group stages?

Hopefully not.
    Will Ronaldo or Messi finally do it(durty) on the big stage?

They'll both play to their usual standard of excellence, but they'll be bringing no trophy home.
    Will Luis Suarez continue to be a rascist cannibalistic cheat?

Without a doubt.
    Will Ze Germans win again.

Hopefully not.
    Can Brazil win on home soil or will Spain continue to pass the ball 49485 times per game?

I want Brazil to win, but then again, I always want Brazil to win the World Cup. But if not Brazil? Then Italy are always my number two.
    Will Wayne Rooney kick someone in the face?

Probably himself.
    No Roy Keane on ITV, do you care?

Couldn't care less.

Have you put any bets on?

Nope.
    Will Belgium be the dark horses?

Racist.

ITV, BBC or Bill and the lads?

All the above.
    Who ate all the pies?

Most likely me.
    Is LizT the greatest mod ever?

Apparently so, but in order to verify these claims. I will need pictures, with or without latex.

This thread and all the other soccerball tournament threads are for the lighter side of the game. If you have access to the soccer forum then thats the place for discussing the offside rule.

Nazi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

List of pubs with no TV please. It'd be nice to know which pubs those of us who don't give a polite shyte about soccerballball can enjoy a sensible pint in. There used to be a forum like that.

I'll kick it off:

The Cobblestone
    The Long Hall.
    Grogan's
    Hughes'
    Mulligan (The Grocer)

Feel free to expand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Boooooooooo
    endacl wrote: »
    List of pubs with no TV please. It'd be nice to know which pubs those of us who don't give a polite shyte about soccerballball can enjoy a sensible pint in. There used to be a forum like that.

I'll kick it off:

The Cobblestone
    The Long Hall.
    Grogan's
    Hughes'
    Mulligan (The Grocer)

Feel free to expand...

I often find the best place to discuss the exact opposite of what people are talking about in a thread to be that thread itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

mathie wrote: »
    I often find the best place to discuss the exact opposite of what people are talking about in a thread to be that thread itself.

Funny that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Boooooooooo
    Should now say 3 days but you get the gist :P

https://vine.co/v/MDHIweFpdaz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

1) PICK 8 TEAMS YOU THINK WILL REACH QUARTER FINAL STAGE.
    Brazil, Spain, Colombia, Italy,France, Argentina, Germany, Belgium.
    2) PICK THE WINNING TEAM.
    Argentina
    3) PICK WORST TEAM IN COMPETITION.
    Australia
    4) PICK TOP GOAL SCORING PLAYER.
    Messi
    5) HOW MANY GOALS WILL BE SCORED IN ENTIRE COMPETITION?
    6) HOW MANY RED CARDS IN ENTIRE COMPETITION?
    7) TOP GOAL SCORING TEAM.
    Argentina
    8) PLAYER WHO SCORES LAST GOAL (penalty shootout not included).
    Lukas Podolski
    9) WHAT STAGE WILL ENGLAND GO OUT OF COMPETITION?
    Quarter Finals

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not everyone is as excited about the soccer-ball world series.

Spare a thought for what they will go through

from http://www.reddit.com/r/britishproblems/comments/22osn0/as_the_fifa_world_cup_approaches_the_antifootball/?limit=500

Firstly, imagine every time within a day that football is mentioned by someone else. Secondly, replace it with something that you don't want to hear about every day. Say... Archaeology. Then, think about how an average day would pan out.

So, you awaken to the clock radio. It's 7AM. Just as you awaken, it's time for the news and archaeology already. Not news and other historical investigations, like library restorations or museum openings (unless there's another event happening), but just the news and archaelogy. Malaysian plane is still missing. Pistorius is still on trial. New dig announced in Giza. Ancient Mayan temple discovered. Exciting stuff.

Time for a bite to eat over the morning TV. More news. More archaeology. Yes, you are aware of what is up with the missing plane. Fine. Now the archaeology in video format. Video of people dusting off some skulls and bits of pottery. All well and good, but archaeology isn't your thing. It would be nice to hear about something else. Even when it isn't archaeology season, the media follow noted archaeologists. They drive fast cars, have sex with beautiful women, advertise fragrances, and sometimes they go to nightclubs and act in the worst possible way. Scandals erupt as the tabloids follow these new celebrities when they're not searching the past for answers. It is entirely possible you can recite the names of certain researchers, even if you don't pay attention to archaeology. You don't know what transfer season is, but you know that someone was transferred to a dig in Peru for a sum of money that could fund the London Underground for two whole days.

Out of the car at 8:55 and into work. What are the colleagues talking about, I wonder? Oh, Jones dropped a 3,890 year old pot and smashed it? What a useless wánker! Someone should do something unpleasant to him. And don't even ask about the unfortunate incident in Athens two years ago - you'll be there all day! Breaking a pillar like that! We don't talk about that here, mate. What? You don't want to discuss the finer points of the prevalence of phallic imagery in Pompeii? Is there something wrong with you?

The drive home from work. Every thirty minutes, no matter the station, someone mentions the archaeology. Best sit in silence. Drive past a huge billboard with a black and white picture of a rakishly handsome archaeologist draped over an impossibly beautiful woman. He's winking at you. Trowel in his left hand, supermodel in the right. Jurassic, by Calvin Klein.

And now the pub. A nice pub with a beer garden. Posters in the windows. LIVE EXCAVATION AT THE VALLEY OF THE KINGS! All of it on a huge TV with the volume up too loud. Drunken people yelling at the screen. "SEND IT FOR CARBON DATING, YOU USELESS ****!" "WHAT ARE YOU ON, MATE? DUST THE ANCIENT MEDALLION GENTLY! SMELTING METHODS OF THE TIME PRODUCED VERY SOFT AND IMPURE METALS EASILY PRONE TO DISFIGURATION!" All this from two men out of a crowd of twenty. One lousy drunken idiot and his chum ruin the image of other archaeology fans. Carbon dating report from the lab updates on TV, read by a man employed because they've been following the beautiful science since they were a boy. The drunk chimes in again. "WHAT PHARAOH'S REIGN DID YOU SAY? DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS SAYS ABOUT THE UNDERPINNINGS OF OUR THEORY OF AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT OF 4TH BC EGYPT? GET IN, MATE!" A cheer cascades through the building and you can only wonder why.

Best go home and avoid anyone who might be drinking and singing. You once met a disagreeable chap who threatened to beat you up because you didn't watch the archaeology. "Not a late paleolithic era supporter are you? Think you're better than me? I'll f**king have you, you scrawny ****!"

To bed. To repeat the cycle tomorrow. The inescapable, inevitability that wherever you go, someone, somewhere, is just dying to talk to you about the archaeology.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tonymantana

1) PICK 8 TEAMS YOU THINK WILL REACH QUARTER FINAL STAGE. brazil,argentina,spain,colombia,,uruguay,france,germany,belgium
    2) PICK THE WINNING TEAM.germany
    3) PICK WORST TEAM IN COMPETITION.ghana
    4) PICK TOP GOAL SCORING PLAYER.L Suarez
    5) HOW MANY GOALS WILL BE SCORED IN ENTIRE COMPETITION?192
    6) HOW MANY RED CARDS IN ENTIRE COMPETITION?22
    7) TOP GOAL SCORING TEAM. argentina
    8) PLAYER WHO SCORES LAST GOAL: T Muller
    9) WHAT STAGE WILL ENGLAND GO OUT OF COMPETITION?Group stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Boooooooooo
    1) PICK 8 TEAMS YOU THINK WILL REACH QUARTER FINAL STAGE. Brazil, Spain, Uruguay, Italy, France, Argentina, Germany, Portugal
    2) PICK THE WINNING TEAM Brazil
    3) PICK WORST TEAM IN COMPETITION. Iran
    4) PICK TOP GOAL SCORING PLAYER. Suaraz
    5) HOW MANY GOALS WILL BE SCORED IN ENTIRE COMPETITION? 150
    6) HOW MANY RED CARDS IN ENTIRE COMPETITION? 8
    7) TOP GOAL SCORING TEAM. Brazil
    8) PLAYER WHO SCORES LAST GOAL (penalty shootout not included) Neymar
    9) WHAT STAGE WILL ENGLAND GO OUT OF COMPETITION? Group stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm annoyed that there is no 3D coverage of the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Boooooooooo
    endacl wrote: »

I'll kick it off:

The Cobblestone
    The Long Hall.
    Grogan's
    Hughes'
    Mulligan (The Grocer)

Feel free to expand...

You don't like football. We get it.

Nobody cares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

1) PICK 8 TEAMS YOU THINK WILL REACH QUARTER FINAL STAGE. Russia, Portugal, Germany, Italy, England, Argentina, Spain, Brazil
    2) PICK THE WINNING TEAM Italy
    3) PICK WORST TEAM IN COMPETITION. Australia
    4) PICK TOP GOAL SCORING PLAYER. Mario Balotelli
    5) HOW MANY GOALS WILL BE SCORED IN ENTIRE COMPETITION? 171
    6) HOW MANY RED CARDS IN ENTIRE COMPETITION? 6
    7) TOP GOAL SCORING TEAM. Italy
    8) PLAYER WHO SCORES LAST GOAL (penalty shootout not included) Andrea Pirlo
    9) WHAT STAGE WILL ENGLAND GO OUT OF COMPETITION? Quarter Finals

I like football :)

Boooooooooo
    DENNIS BERGKAMP
    DENNIS BERGKAMP
    DENNIS BERGKAMP
    ARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH !

Only 2 sleeps to go and I have not got a decent wall chart yet. Anyone know where I can get one?

• Advertisement

Boooooooooo
    I don't buy newspapers but I'd say they all have them this week. Have a nosey through them all in the newsagents and pick your favourite.

Boooooooooo
    DENNIS BERGKAMP
    DENNIS BERGKAMP
    DENNIS BERGKAMP
    ARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH !

Love that commentary :D
    Only 2 sleeps to go and I have not got a decent wall chart yet. Anyone know where I can get one?

You can prob download loads of them in Excel format on the net too

Boooooooooo
    Courtesy of a poster in the soccer forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90779861&postcount=1006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Boooooooooo

Currently have about 3. Although one of them is going up in the Staff Room at work along with the Work Sweepstake Pick List.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭amacca

Boooooooooo
    The World Cup starts in 5 days time.

Will you be watching?

ooohhhh yes yes yes yes yes!

Will you be giving out about the soaps not being shown at their usual times?

Hell no - I give not one **** about soaps…any soaps…except maybe crime drama soaps that come in the form or short to medium length series (so not soaps really - One of the best soaps I've watched recently is Hannibal.

Is football the scourge of the English?

If it is its not nearly scourgey enough methinks my good man…what what eh!

Are we all barstooling ****?

I couldn't possibly speak for everyone but I most certainly am…I feel I could hold my own in the company of many of most establishments barstooliest ****

Who'll have the best looking supporters this time round?

It won't be Ireland, It probably wouldn't have been anyway….most of em would look like made up versions of staunton in 94…melted red faces with the occasional stunner thrown in…………probably brazil..im assuming the director will have a find hotties in the brazil supporters to boost vicarious sex tourism in subsequent years brief

Will Uncle Woy's lions not even make it from the group stages?

Wouldn't it be better if they did? I don't like them leaving too early….the heartbreak potential just isn't high enough

Will Ronaldo or Messi finally do it(durty) on the big stage?

I think Messi will…Id rather have him on my team than Ronaldo any day…he does it all the time

Will Luis Suarez continue to be a rascist cannibalistic cheat?

Why stop now, I wouldn't **** with a winning formula anyway

Will Ze Germans win again.

I don't think so

Can Brazil win on home soil or will Spain continue to pass the ball 49485 times per game?

Yes and yes

Will Wayne Rooney kick someone in the face?

Hopefully…that would cap Zidanes headbutt and that dutch midfielder who went around blatantly kicking everybody instead of playing at one of the last major tournaments I watched (can't remember his name - played for Man city - looked a bit like a robot)

No Roy Keane on ITV, do you care?

I dont

Who will have the best looking fans this time round?

Whats the difference between fans and supporters?

Have you put any bets on?

Yes

Will Belgium be the dark horses?

I don't know, possibly, I think too much is being made of their chances…hopefully they won't melt when they start playing - I feel the danger of melting is not one thats been fully appreciated by most european teams

ITV, BBC or Bill and the lads?

Bill and the lads and possibly a couple of quick switches to BBC when the inevitable crushing defeat for Engerland arrives - mainly cos I like to watch whatever pundit was overoptimistic back pedal furiously while silky smooth Lineker essentially does a much more refined version of what Joe Duffy does for us for his viewers before going home to roll around great piles of cash and walkers crisps surrounded by many beautiful well groomed women (or at least thats how I imagine it goes/will go)

Who ate all the pies?

It certainly wasn't me, great way to get the common man to eat offal and god knows what if you ask me

Is LizT the greatest mod ever?

Who, is she good lookin?

kfallon wrote: »

That's the one for me!
    They do poster printing here at work so bringing this down to them now!

• Advertisement

Boooooooooo
    DENNIS BERGKAMP
    DENNIS BERGKAMP
    DENNIS BERGKAMP
    ARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH !

I love in that clip where the commentator says Fraaaank De Booooor in that comically Dutch accent.

Just in case people don't know WTF we're on about:

Boooooooooo
    anncoates wrote: »
    I love in that clip where the commentator says Fraaaank De Booooor in that comically Dutch accent.

Just in case people don't know WTF we're on about:

Anyone know who scored that goal, didn't quite catch the name in Commentary???

:P

Boooooooooo
    Anyone know who scored that goal, didn't quite catch the name in Commentary???

:P

It actually sounds like he's bashing one out. The last Dennis Bergkamp sounds almost post-coital, like he's about to light a smoke. :pac:

Boooooooooo
    1 more sleep :D

Boooooooooo
    This is the current state of the pitch for England v Italy Saturday Evening.

media_xll_2304995.jpg

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This is pretty neat.

The World Cup of Everything Else

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

MOTD World Cup Preview on now on BBC 1

Boooooooooo
    MOTD World Cup Preview on now on BBC 1

Theres no way they got a studio over looking Copacabana Beach.

:D

Boooooooooo
    Do I need to adjust the colour on my TV or does Alan Shearer look jaundice?

Boooooooooo
    Do I need to adjust the colour on my TV or does Alan Shearer look jaundice?

Notsure, but Gary looks like he has been either applying the ronseal, or hitting the sunbeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

LizT.
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Notsure, but Gary looks like he has been either applying the ronseal, or hitting the sunbeds.

Rio looks fairly browned aswell.

Boooooooooo
    wazky wrote: »
    Rio looks fairly browned aswell.

<Er erm. Unsure of being serious or sarcastic>

Boooooooooo
    Has to be the make up or lighting. Rio looks odd too.

Really great football conversation we have going on here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Umadbrah?

lol someone snap a pic of jaundice Alan Shearer, I cant watch the TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Ugghh that's rubbish!

If I wanted a crappy animation with a paper-thin plot designed to sell me overpriced merchandise I'd have watched Cars instead.

Should have just re-made this classic from 1998

• Advertisement

Boooooooooo

media_xll_2304995.jpg

The groundsman is saying it won't be much better on Saturday either.

Are all the other pitches ready?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭amacca

Boooooooooo

media_xll_2304995.jpg

hmmm no amount of watering will sort that out in time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

LizT.
    It's finally here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

We love GAAAAAAAAAA
    Anyone but the english waheeeey

Boooooooooo
    Gonna go with the Germans to beat Argentina in final.

Belgium to make semis.

England to confound expectations but still go out in second round.

Golden boot will be Suarez or Dzeko.

Boooooooooo
    After last nights jaundice overdose, I think I'll be watching the matches on RTE. It was too distracting.

Anyone who still wants to enter our competition, you have until 9pm tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

LizT.
    Having seen some of the preview last night, I think the state of the pitches will suit the South American teams. I expect them to advance in strength, with Brazil and Argentina playing for it all. Messi to outshine Neymar, with Higuain top scorer.

Boooooooooo
    Pictures of the pitch for England and Italy game are disgraceful for a marquee tournament if true.

Boooooooooo
    anncoates wrote: »
    Pictures of the pitch for England and Italy game are disgraceful for a marquee tournament if true.

Was mentioned on the BBC preview last night as well. Too much fertiliser used apparently.

Also, the ground for tonights match. Its the first time its being used to its full capacity. With all the talk of concerns of grounds not being finished in time, I can see one or two incidents occuring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

LizT.
    The media always seem to play up the negatives before a tournament.

Look at the coverage before South Africa, everyone attending would be mugged/murdered and there was little actual violence.

Or Euro 2012, the Polish hooligans would be on the rampage against foreign supporters, well there was some trouble that was mostly between the hooligans themselves.

Advertisement