Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Book of Mormon musical

• 21-10-2013 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi all,

I managed (by some freaky bit of luck) to get myself two tickets for The Book of Mormon this weekend just gone, and I just wanted to pop in and say that I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

If you enjoy South Park, or even just the South Park episode about Mormons, I think you'll absolutely love this musical, and it's well worth going to see. It is exactly as offensive, non-PC, and mocking as you would imagine, and there's no holds barred in terms of the language used. There's plenty of jokes about Mormon beliefs about gay people, the crazy "get your own planet after death" stuff, etc., but also lots of nice little nods to things that you might only know about if you'd read about the Mormon religion (like the magic Mormon underwear, which they hilariously strip off to at one point. It's never explained or explicitly pointed out, just a funny moment made even funnier if you know about the magic underwear).

As a side note, I bought the program (I always do!), and found that the actual Mormon church had several ads for the actual Book of Mormon (e.g. freetext to XXXXX to get a free copy of the Book of Mormon) with captions like "I've read the book" or "You've seen the show, now read the book" and I have to say, my first reaction was "fair play". They could have kicked up a fuss, kept quiet and tried to ignore it, etc. but instead, they've just owned all the free publicity from this multi-award-winning musical (that looks like it's going to stick around for a long time).

I brought a thoroughly non-musical loving friend, and he loved every minute. I even caught him singing some of the songs in the interval, so even if you're not a huge musical fan, I wouldn't let it put you off :)

For a taster, I've linked the opening to the Tony Awards where the broadway cast sing the opening number. Now, tell me you don't want to see the rest!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've been reading about this show since they first announced they wanted to do it, and as a major South Park fan I've been dying to see it.

Apparently the reasoning behind them making the show does stem on from the Mormon based episode of South Park, and even a few close friends of theirs who are Mormon, or formerly were.

If this ever comes to Cork, I'll be there in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

I'm a bit biased, because I'm a huge musical fan, but I think that (if you can stretch to it) it's totally worth the trip to London. Apparently you need to book well in advance (I just got really lucky with some last minute but still pretty good tickets), so I think it'll be there for a long time. Plenty of time to save for a big A&A trip to see it, eh? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Girlfriend and I are thinking January.

Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Not a musical fan, although I did love Bigger, Longer, Uncut. We got a cam download of tBoM, and kinda liked it, but we found it way, way too long (typically what we'd think of almost any musical anyway.) The plot was good, but we mostly fast-forwarded through songs after the first few bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I watched a taped version of this and loved it, I'd say it's a million times better live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Absolutely brilliant. Saw it back in April or something with my brother and sister.

Wouldn't go for the musicals in general much but Matt and Trey have such a hugely unfair proportion of all the talent in the world (like half of it) that means essentially anything they do is utterly genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Really want to go see this - just need to twist my OH's arm a bit more! No excuses really while I'm living in London...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Soundtrack is on Spotify, it makes excellent 'walking to work without weeping' music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It was awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Saw in on Broadway, it was absolutely amazing. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Saw it two weeks ago. Really was fantastic. Although I expected a some 'dumb, dumb, dumb' just like the Southpark episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Saw it a few weeks back. I'm not a musical fan but enjoyed it nonetheless. Worth a trip to London from Ireland? Nope.

Advertisement