Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JJ Abrams (Split from Alcatraz thread)

• 18-05-2011 1:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

Dman001 wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to put all the blame on Abrams for Lost. As someone else said, he didn't have much input into Lost after the first half of the first Season and was Lindelof and Cuse had most of the input. Abrams has had a number of successful Shows apart from Lost like Fringe and Alias.

endless unanswered mysteries is Abram's thing

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ which is why i don't think i'll get into Alcatraz....i just dislike JJ's endless mysteries with no answers formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Has Abrams ever actually stayed on board for the entire run of any of "his" shows? I don't actually mind the ongoing mystery thing - too many answers and a show becomes boring. This almost sounds like "Lost meets Prison Break". I just hope this isn't another Flashfoward/The Event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Lost explored Mythology, Spirituality, Religion and Morality, both life and death, it was much more than just a "Mystery" show with no answers. Alcatraz is supposed to be a show based around Mythology too, so I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Niles wrote: »
    Has Abrams ever actually stayed on board for the entire run of any of "his" shows? I don't actually mind the ongoing mystery thing - too many answers and a show becomes boring. This almost sounds like "Lost meets Prison Break". I just hope this isn't another Flashfoward/The Event.

theres no fear of getting too many answers with abrams show, were talking about getting no answers.

Six seasons of Lost....and it was all a dream?.....LOL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Did you even watch the show? :confused:
    It wasn't a dream - stop trolling.

Mr E wrote: »
    Did you even watch the show? :confused:
    It wasn't a dream - stop trolling.

I watched the finale, six seasons and
    they all had died on the plane, ergo nothing seen in six seasons actually happened!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

they all had died on the plane, ergo nothing seen in six seasons actually happened!
    so so so wrong, dont comment on something you never watch every episode of,

don ramo wrote: »
    so so so wrong, dont comment on something you never watch every episode of,

:rolleyes: then you need to watch ALL four seaons of Gossip Girl before talking smack about it!

:rolleyes: then you need to watch ALL four seaons of Gossip Girl before talking smack about it!
    what, never watched it never commented on it, WTF are you on about

• Advertisement

don ramo wrote: »
    what, never watched it never commented on it, WTF are you on about

I'm making the point whereby people say, ooh you can't judge a show only seeing one or four eps. - utter nonsense!....of course you can.

I'm making the point whereby people say, ooh you can't judge a show only seeing one or four eps. - utter nonsense!....of course you can.
    no you cant, as you have been told by the people who actually watched lost for 6 seasons, you are wrong
    they didnt die in a plane crash

you cant judge a show by only watching 4 episodes, ill watch 3 or 4 episodes of a show then if i dont like it ill stay away from any discussion about it, i dont go on about how stupid it was, and making assumptions about what it was all about, cause i didnt watch it, you never watched lost therefore you have no idea what your on about, so why are you still argueing,

this is a abrams show, lost wasnt, he was a co-creator, and left after a few episode to make mission impossible 3, and never came back on a large enough scale to affect the storyline, that was all cuse and lindelof,

abrams was involved with alias, fringe and undercovers, on much larger scales so there the shows to look at when talking about abrams, not lost,

It amazes me that one year on and people still don't get the Finale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

You can judge whether you like a show after a few episodes,whether you think it is good or absolute crap. You can't however claim a show is crap based on an ending you assume happened when it actually didn't happen.

I will say Gossip girl is crap because I think it is a chick show with bad acting and bad writing,based on the few episodes I watched.My opinion,you have a different one. Fine. I will not however claim it is crap because in the season 2 finale that girl so cheated on that guy and then she is pregnant with another guys baby or whatever...because I have not seen the season 2 finale,or any of it bar those few episodes at the beginning.

Making an assumption about Lost based on the last episode having skipped most of the seasons is what is "utter nonsense" Richard. I'd also like to point out this isn't some fanboy defense of Lost,I actually thought the last season was rubbish,it applies to any show.

I agree there are times where you can judge whether you'll enjoy a series with one episode-The Pilot, not by it's Series Finale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

lol, wtf :confused:

Ah come on, it's not exactly the same thing. You watched the Finale of a show and decided (and commented) on what happened over an entirety of 6 seasons....oh, and got it completely wrong!

What you're talking about there is someone watching a show for 3/4 episodes and deciding they dont like it.

It's fecking apples and oranges man... actually they're not even that similar.
    Dman001 wrote: »
    Lost explored Mythology, Spirituality, Religion and Morality, both life and death, it was much more than just a "Mystery" show with no answers. Alcatraz is supposed to be a show based around Mythology too, so I'll give it a go.

This. Lost was more than mysteries and answers. Many people didn't see that, but it was none the less.
    And there are no answers to Mythology, Spirituality, Religion and Morality, they are all subjective and objective things.

Also, Fringe continuously has Mysteries and Answers. Yes, the answers are ridiculous and all science fiction, but that's what the show is about.

EDIT: point is, I'll give the show a go. If it has script writing and acting of the quality of Lost or Fringe I'll watch it and probably enjoy it. If its more like 4400 etc then I will probably not enjoy it or watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Cant believe you posted that. Has to be a joke. Did you even watch the show?

gazzer wrote: »
    Cant believe you posted that. Has to be a joke. Did you even watch the show?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37308154/ns/today-entertainment/t/was-end-lost-are-you-kidding-us/
    Sometime after his “Hey, kiddo!” and Jack’s understandable “What-the-what?” reaction, the silver fox explained precisely what the alternate reality was — a place Jack and his past pals created to have one giant, post-mortem meet up.

That’s right. It wasn’t a different thread of reality created by the time-changing blast Daniel Faraday suggested. That makes too much sense. Instead, it was all just some oddly plotted excuse for everyone (minus Michael, Walt and loads of other characters) to get together after their respective deaths but before they moved on to whatever follows.

There you go, i was right.

You said it was a dream (see post 22).
    IT WAS NOT A DREAM.

Feck sake.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37308154/ns/today-entertainment/t/was-end-lost-are-you-kidding-us/
    Sometime after his “Hey, kiddo!” and Jack’s understandable “What-the-what?” reaction, the silver fox explained precisely what the alternate reality was — a place Jack and his past pals created to have one giant, post-mortem meet up.

That’s right. It wasn’t a different thread of reality created by the time-changing blast Daniel Faraday suggested. That makes too much sense. Instead, it was all just some oddly plotted excuse for everyone (minus Michael, Walt and loads of other characters) to get together after their respective deaths but before they moved on to whatever follows.

There you go, i was right.

Yeah the Losties were all inhabiting this 'alternate' place after their death but they all died at different points in time. They didnt die in the plane crash. Some of them got off the island (Saywer, Kate etc) and lived for many years after the events on the island. However when THEY died they too went to this 'bridging' place and then when they all had died and Jack realised what this place was they all crossed over to the other side together.

• Advertisement

You said it was a dream (see post 22).
    IT WAS NOT A DREAM.

Feck sake.

I stand by thinking Lost was a pile of sh*te and JJ is a hack!

I stand by thinking Lost was a pile of sh*te and JJ is a hack!

You can think all those things but admit that you were wrong when you said that the 6 seasons of Lost were all a dream and they died in the plane crash :D

Must .... not .... take .... bait ....

gazzer wrote: »
    Yeah the Losties were all inhabiting this 'alternate' place after their death but they all died at different points in time. They didnt die in the plane crash. Some of them got off the island (Saywer, Kate etc) and lived for many years after the events on the island. However when THEY died they too went to this 'bridging' place and then when they all had died and Jack realised what this place was they all crossed over to the other side together.

Really?....that's what six seasons worth of sh*te gets you? :rolleyes:
    JJ and the producers played you guys for fools and you laped it up, i never watched it 'cause i knew it was sh*te, you could tell they were making it up as they went along and never answered anything to sucker fools in.

I guess it worked.

I'm nuking all Lost related posts later tonight, so get it out of your system now.

I'm nuking all Lost related posts later tonight, so get it out of your system now.

Go ahead....i FUC*ING HATE LOST AND IT'S IDIOT FANS! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Go ahead....i FUC*ING HATE LOST AND IT'S IDIOT FANS! :mad:

touchy! :p

And ye Mr. E,this aint exactly the thread for it as you just know it will go on for about 20 pages with nothing related to Alcatraz. richard talking nonsense is probably what kicked it off though!

Thread split from Alcatraz for my own amusement. :)

2099163819_32892e2740.jpg

LOST....is .............!!!??**&%$££"£&&*&^£$"!£"!£"!

• Advertisement

lol richard you have been proven wrong by about 6 or 7 different people just accept it, you stated something as being gospel and were rightly corrected, just accept it,

you can believe abrams is a hack if you wish, wont stop him making films and tv series for the next 20 years, i believe he has made sh1te in his time like MI3 and undercovers, but it cant be argued he is a massively sucessfull writer and producer,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As already mentioned, Abrams didn't have much involvement in Lost after the pilot. He helped David Fury break Solitary and he co-wrote the season 3 premiere, but otherwise he wasn't really around. Cuse was basically his replacement and he was first credited in 1x09. However, Lindelof was secretly getting Cuse's advice for some time before this and actually almost quit because he didn't think he'd be able to run the show by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I've watched Alias and Lost, only flicked into Fringe once or twice but by all accounts I've heard it's a decent show. All of these shows have lasted more than one season which suggests that Abrams must have some kind of head on him when it comes to setting up a show, even if he doesn't stay on board throughout their run. Love Lost or hate it, if millions all over the world tuned in to see its finale they must have done something right. Sky see Fringe as prime time material which is another good indication that Abrams knows what he is doing when it comes to a show's premise. Unfortunately the same could not be said for the likes of The Event, Flashfoward or any other "it's the next Lost" show. I suspect Abrams will leave this once it's up and running but with Sarnoff's experience it might have some chance. As long as it doesn't get too hardcore science-fictiony which would only serve to alienate general audiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i really don't know how you can argue with it being called a dream or dream like state, apart from RD trolling.

abrams is listed as creator, therefore he created and conceived the style of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

youbeststartbelievingintrollthreads.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement