Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEVER been to a funeral?

Options
  • 23-07-2014 4:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

Just a thought. Any boardsie never been to a funeral? How come?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

Yes, I have been to a funeral before. I went for the same reason most other people go to a funeral; because someone had died

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Yes, I have been to a funeral before. I went for the same reason most other people go to a funeral; because someone had died

Never I said !?!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I've only ever been to other people's funerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

FFS...what type of question is that.

Theres at least one Church in Co Mayo that live streams funerals over the internet for people who are overseas. I watch a funeral myself on it last Friday...Riveting stuff

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I haven't been to a funeral, no.

How come? Because I don't know anyone that died, well, nobody close to me anyway. I guess I'm lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

desbrook wrote: »
    Never I said??

Well don't I feel special!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Lapin wrote: »
    I've only ever been to other people's funerals.

Same here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Anyone ever been to a non-religious funeral? Is there such a thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

I buried a dog. That count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

No, but I might go to my own

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Yes I have.

A friend of mines father passed away,he was a lifelong memeber of the communist party of Ireland, It was all starry plough and red flags with the tricolour there to, it was quite good with lots of old stories told about the deceased life, he was brought straight to the crematorium in glasnevin, where with everyone singing keep the red flag flying ? As he was sent on through to wherever .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

yes, in cork it was in the crematorium and she had a beautiful non religious service, with her favorite songs playing and a few words said about her, poems read..etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I buried a dog. That count?

It doesn't count if your dog was a devout catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

There's people dying now that never died before.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I have been but luckily only funerals of old people who had had a good innings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Nimr wrote: »
    I haven't been to a funeral, no.

How come? Because I don't know anyone that died, well, nobody close to me anyway. I guess I'm lucky.

I've been to 14 so far (well some were cremations).

2 of them were for people who committed suicide, 5 from cancer, 3 from drugs OD's and 2 from heart attacks. The others I can't really recall as I was too young.

And in 2 of the cases I found the body (OD + suicide). Absolutely nothing feels more unnatural than a cold human body....shudder.

I have not been as lucky Nimr.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭JP85

And the winner of the most morbid thread of After Hours goes to..........(insert drum roll)

This one!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,920 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've been to so many I've lost count.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Haven't been to too many thankfully. Truth be told I detest the bloody things. I always seem to be as useful as a chocolate teapot at them.

When my time comes I'd gladly just be tossed into the furnace with as little ceremony as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Yep, my mams funeral was humanist. She detested the church and anything religious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,324 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

My uncle had a Humanist cremation and it is the only time I have been moved to tears at a funeral and definitely the way i want to go.
    They talked about my uncle in a way that felt very intimate and his son gave a beautiful eulogy also they played songs that he loved. They said one prayer to cater for the religious types and some lovely poems and then back to the pub for the usual songs and stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

Skerries wrote: »
    My uncle had a Humanist cremation and it is the only time I have been moved to tears at a funeral and definitely the way i want to go.

Do you mind me asking where they held the ceremony? I have only been to funerals in churches and would like to know of other options...not that I plan to kick the bucket anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

JP85 wrote: »
    And the winner of the most morbid thread of After Hours goes to..........(insert drum roll)

This one!

Actually the thread is anything but. It's for people lucky enough to have decades of friends and family in good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,324 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

xalot wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where they held the ceremony? I have only been to funerals in churches and would like to know of other options...not that I plan to kick the bucket anytime soon.

it was actually in Birmingham, so I don't know if Glasnevin do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Yup! My granny's funeral was non religious.
    It just consisted of some poetry readings, music and a bit of talking about her life.

Turned out to be quite a nice and very personal send off.

The funeral director takes care of all the formalities.

(that was in Glasnevin BTW)

Advertisement