Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercings and ear stretches?

Options
  • 25-02-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I was thinking about joining the army next year but I have my ears stretched fairly big. Without a plug or tunnel in my ear the hole appears around 5mm. Would this stop me from joining for some sort of Engineering role within the Army?
    I have tried looking around the site for restrictions on piercings but I cannot find anything about it anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Charlsyke wrote: »
    I was thinking about joining the army next year but I have my ears stretched fairly big. Without a plug or tunnel in my ear the hole appears around 5mm. Would this stop me from joining for some sort of Engineering role within the Army?
    I have tried looking around the site for restrictions on piercings but I cannot find anything about it anywhere.

I'm unsure if there's any binding documentation, but fix your ears before you join. Jaysus you'd be some laughing stock if you got your ear lobe stuck on a branch.

Joking aside, having piercings and the hole will only hamper your chances. Honestly, looking for any job and it'll impact your chances, except niche places.

Right now i've got a big bushy beard, and i'm reluctantly gonna shave it off come exam/interview stage, but sure it's the price ya gotta pay to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Charlsyke

And if my ears wouldn't close anymore than they are now would you say that means I will not be able to join. The hole is not big enough to be caught on a branch or anything, is there any medical examinations before entering where they would check my ears or see that they are stretched?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

It would stop you getting into the Army, period.

While not mentioned on the recruitment documentation, piercings, tattoos etc. are a big no go in the Army unless they are well hidden by clothing and even then they are frowned upon. Even getting your ears pierced in the Army with a small stud type earring for a man would likely end up with you getting disciplinary action taken against you.

Doctor14 wrote: »

While not mentioned on the recruitment documentation, piercings, tattoos etc. are a big no go in the Army unless they are well hidden by clothing and even then they are frowned upon. Even getting your ears pierced in the Army with a small stud type earring for a man would likely end up with you getting disciplinary action taken against you.

Thank you, that's fine, all I wanted to know. Looks like the army is not for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Thank you, that's fine, all I wanted to know. Looks like the army is not for me :(

Have you thought of getting the ears fixed at all ,
    This is one of the down sides to body modification you could effect your career choices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Even getting your ears pierced in the Army with a small stud type earring for a man would likely end up with you getting disciplinary action taken against you.

Sorry but this is BS. A male soldier can have piercings while in the army and he will most definitely not face disciplinary action.

If he showed up on parade with whatever jewelry still attached to his ears then he would be told to remove them. If a CS happens to see that a soldier has how ear(s) pierced but isn't wearing jewelry at the time nothing will be said.

With regards tattoos, you can most certainly join the army if you happen to have tattoos. Obviously the location of tattoos is important. But having a tattoo on your chest when you arrive for your medical won't exclude you from the competition.

Gatling wrote: »
    Have you thought of getting the ears fixed at all ,
    This is one of the down sides to body modification you could effect your career choices

No I haven't thought of getting them "fixed" as I like them. In orer for them to close I would have to get them sown up by doctors which I am not willing to do just to get into the army. The army is only one of my career ideas so I do not really mind if I have to knock it off the list. I would like to have the option but if that's not possible then that is the case, nothing I can do about it.

Just for clarification, I am female so in a way it's just like having my ears pierced just considerably bigger than most. Attached is a picture. From looking at it I kind of assumed it would be a no go. However, as for other career choices. It is small enough that it can look like I am wearing a large stud sometimes so it should not effect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Complete bullsh*t post.

OP no your stretched ears won't make a blind bit of difference on your application, interview or medical.

Complete bullsh*t post.

OP no your stretched ears won't make a blind bit of difference on your application, interview or medical.

Have you anything to do with the Army???

I've seen it done - guys charged for piercings, tattoos etc. Army Regs are very clear about this AI A9, Paras 129, 130 & 131. Yes, depending on where they are (hidden by clothing or others as I ALREADY pointed out), you might get away with it but an potential recruit has an even bigger hill to face on it.

Take it another way, a lot of civvie employers would knock someone for tattoos, piercings etc and the army puts a lot more emphasis on appearance than most.

Well now I am getting a lot of mixed messages. Does anyone have any experience with STRETCHED ears in the army or know anyone that tried to get in with them?
    I understand that the army puts a lot of emphasis on appearance however you can get "hider plugs" which are flesh coloured and make your stretched ears look almost invisible unless you are up close and looking for piercings or stretchings.

• Advertisement

Well now I am getting a lot of mixed messages. Does anyone have any experience with STRETCHED ears in the army or know anyone that tried to get in with them?
    Stretched Ears - No experience and haven't seen it specifically mentioned in Army Regs

Piercings & Tattoos - Yes.

They have regs covering hair styles & colour, makeup, nail polish, jewellery etc, but I haven't seen one for stretched ears... or would it be classed as a piercing (in which case, no go).

Have you anything to do with the Army???

Search my posts here... I've 30 years service ( PDF and counting) ~ you?.

Search my posts on the Tattoo and Piercings forum ~ I'm covered in tattoo's and have a piercing too (left ear).

OP best not to listen to Doctor14.

OP your stretched ears will be grand, this guy has no idea or experience of anything army and is just spitting out rules & regs, a barrack room lawyer ~ the worst kind of soldier (PDF or RDF) you'll ever meet.

Search my posts here... I've 30 years service ( PDF and counting) ~ you?.

Search my posts on the Tattoo and Piercings forum ~ I'm covered in tattoo's and have a piercing too (left ear).

OP best not to listen to Doctor14.

OP your stretched ears will be grand, this guy has no idea or experience of anything army and is just spitting out rules & regs, a barrack room lawyer ~ the worst kind of soldier (PDF or RDF) you'll ever meet.

Thank you, you seem to know what you are talking about. No harm in trying anyway. If I get told I cant join then thats that but if they are fine as you said then that would be perfect. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

OP, listen to Mak.....he's spot on and knows what he's talking about.

OK, look, You looked for advice. My experience is you don't have a hope. Whether it is the medical or the interview, you will get nobbled. My experience is that it is a disqualifying. I am VERY surprised to find that people in the DF have a different experience - I have never seen it treated with anything other than disciplinary action except when you come to a pre-96s but their experiences do not apply to anyone else. To support the info I gave you I backed it up with where to find the written documentation - which you mentioned didn't seem to exist. I am no Barrack Room lawyer and reject that comment. I didn't sink to personal attacks but others are happy to. I expected better from a Mod.

If you want to apply for the Army, you ARE wasting your time. But it is your time to waste so go ahead if you want. You asked the Q, I gave you the my opinion, my experience and the written documentation you were looking for. As far as I am concerned, that is the end of my involvement in the argument.

Doctor14

Have you actually seen someone disqualified for having stretched ears?

Were you present at the interview/medical when it happened?

We all know lads that have been charged for wearing jewellery. Maybe because they wore it on parade etc.

I also know guys with tattoos on their arms, I saw one guy before with tattoos on his neck. They are still serving.

However, I can see the ear hole being an issue for some people. Maybe marked down as a physical defect. It's not the norm in the DF to see anyone with that type of thing.

Go for it OP, you never know.

OP, listen to Mak.....he's spot on and knows what he's talking about. Mak is always throwing breaks!...

He held out his hand to be slapped :p

OK, look, You looked for advice. My experience is you don't have a hope. Whether it is the medical or the interview, you will get nobbled. My experience is that it is a disqualifying. I am VERY surprised to find that people in the DF have a different experience - I have never seen it treated with anything other than disciplinary action except when you come to a pre-96s but their experiences do not apply to anyone else. To support the info I gave you I backed it up with where to find the written documentation - which you mentioned didn't seem to exist. I am no Barrack Room lawyer and reject that comment. I didn't sink to personal attacks but others are happy to. I expected better from a Mod.

If you want to apply for the Army, you ARE wasting your time. But it is your time to waste so go ahead if you want. You asked the Q, I gave you the my opinion, my experience and the written documentation you were looking for. As far as I am concerned, that is the end of my involvement in the argument.

Your opinion has been noted and taken onboard, however the various different posts have shown me that it is rather unknown wether it will affect me or not so I do not see it as a waste of time. It was not/is not an argument, only you are taking it that way.

As I said though, your opinion is noted. I know you have the written documentation however I dont know how to access this and have not had the time to look it up fully during school week. Also, I doubt it specifically mentions stretched ears and only jewellery. Whilst I know it is different but still worth mentioning, in my school we are only allowed a single stud yet due to my long hair you cannot see my ears. This knocks the interview stage problem out of the way unless I MUST tie my hair up for that too. The medical is the main problem and that is mainly what I was asking about.

Thank you for sharing your opinion but because I have multiple other people saying it should be worth a try then I am also going to take their advice onboard and give it a shot.

He held out his hand to be slapped :p

Big skid mark behind ya there man! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I've seen it done - guys charged for piercings, tattoos etc. Army Regs are very clear about this AI A9, Paras 129, 130 & 131. Yes, depending on where they are (hidden by clothing or others as I ALREADY pointed out), you might get away with it but an potential recruit has an even bigger hill to face on it.

Seeing as you are quoting Admin Instructions... (A9 is not restricted)

129. EARRINGS
    a. Earrings may be worn when in uniform by female personnel only.
    b. Male personnel whose duty requires that they wear civilian attire shall not wear earrings on duty.
    c. Earrings shall be either gold/silver stud or gold/silver sleeper type earrings. They must be generally acceptable as compatible with the uniform. Pendant earrings will not be worn.
    d. Only one earring may be worn in each ear.
    e. Earrings will only be worn on the ear lobe.

130. PIERCINGS
    All facial piercings are prohibited.

131. TATOOS
    Tattooing above the collar of the shirt is prohibited.
    Tattoos which predate this instruction are exempt

You also appear to have missed the part where the OP is female. Females are allowed to wear earrings (A9, Para 129, Sub Para a). Nothing in the above AI paragraphs precludes what the OP has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

Honestly, your still young by the sound of it so apply and see what happens. All I can say is you are guarantted to expect 2 things.
    And that is:
    1. the worst they can say is no
    2. you have gained experience of going through a fairly intensive interview process.

Its all about the experience. I myself have a few years RDF experience (and counting) but I chose the road of getting a trade on my own and was unfortunatley caught by the embargo by the time I was qualified even though I had gone through all stages previous it was too long. I applied for the Navy then and went through all that stage yet at the last hurdle (medical) I was dropped as I has Asthma 15years ago even though no recorded attacks since and no problems since. That same time Lt. Cmdr Murphy failed quite a few people over trivial things like bad teeth and lazy eyes. It seemed at the time unless you were blonde haired and blue eyed you didnt stand a chance.
    But dont let this put you off, try and see what happens.

I know there is a lot of detail there but that was just to explain my background and particular situation but still apply and see what happens, dont limit yourself.
    and good luck if you do try

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Until quite recently, although tattoos were fine so long as they could be covered by uniform, and were not of a 'disfiguring nature', ie. spider web over the top of the head, anacondas disappearing into the nether regions, or 'cut here' around the throat they were tolerated. Not so with male ear piercings.

One time when I was unit guard commander, I had a miscreant who had been awarded five days of show parades. He had to present himself in his best military suit on every hour between 6 pm and 11pm, for inspection by me and by the orderly sergeant, who was responsible for 'parading' him in the prescribed military manner.

I was surprised to see that this young man, a L/Cpl, had been picked out on the monday morning muster parade as having 'left ear-lobe pierced, in contravention of Section 69 of the Army Act [Conduct prejudicial to the maintenance of good order and military discipline]. His punishment was to parade thus, for five successive evenings, and with particular regard to his offensive appearance the guard commander was to check that he was in 'good order and dressed correctly as for parade, in accordance with QRs and to show ear, unpierced'.

Needless to say, things have changed since then, but MALE military personnel are reminded that wearing anything in your lug-'ole renders your enemy a distinct advantage in a close melée - having your ear-ring/earole decoration torn out of you quivering flesh can be quite painful, I'm told.

tac

Advertisement