Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adam Curtis is back - ALL WATCHED OVER BY MACHINES OF LOVING GRACE

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

he always struck me as a sophisticated mans conspiracy theorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

he always struck me as a sophisticated mans conspiracy theorist

That's exactly what he is. Any conspiracy theorist I've met loves him once they discover him as they feel he "proves" what they spout. My understanding of what he says is that the stuff he puts across stems more from a public malaise rather than any nefarious plots of the "lizards."

Anyway, looking forward to this, and I've spread the news to all the internet communities I'm part of. I already have it set to record as I figure it's something I'll watch over and over. And this show in particular is going to be very relevant to current issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Korea/Thailand/Malaysia 1998 Ireland 2008 'nuff said.

Facinating about Alan Greenspan and his links with Ayn Rand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

All fairly standard stuff tbh. Took a good while to make a pretty obvious point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I tend to enjoy the journey rather than the destination with Curtis' stuff. His films are so compelling to watch, I don't mind too much that the agenda he's working towards is shaky. I disagree with the central premise I'm taking from this one, for instance, but the history of Rand, the Humdog quotes, and the Pong game, were fascinating.

This one hasn't quite seized my attention as much as some of his previous output though, even though the subject itself is probably closer to my heart than any of those ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

Someone tweeted this link to his blog. Set your jaw to dumbfounded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

I remember seeing one of these documentaries on BBC by him years ago
    which dealed with statistics and how they have taken over the modern world basically, can anyone remember what it was called :confused:
    I do remember it changed the way I was seeing the world, not sure if that was a good or a bad thing though. There was alot of interesting stuff in this one, especially South East Asia/Indonesia dealings with IMF and the parallels with Ireland at the moment.
    Watching the frontline afterwards and hearing the arguement to go back to the punt was tense though, having watched this it confirmed this is the LAST thing we want to do right now. People should be MADE watch his programmes, there are a number of 'facts' in them which you cant argue with, but you just dont know if he's putting them together in his own way to suit what he believes to be happening....Im on the fence about him.

They really are intense though, very different style to 'The Ascent of Money' which was intense also, but the delivery was very different and harder to absorb, it was a bit all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

mike65 wrote: »
    Korea/Thailand/Malaysia 1998 Ireland 2008 'nuff said.

indeed. the IMF link...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

2nd episode was on yesterday, interesting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Always makes for interesting viewing. Usually leaves me slightly depressed and angry after watching his stuff though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Saw the episode on how they viewed nature as a system in perfect balance, gave rise to a very famous book by Olum (I think). That stuff is still taught today, thankfully just as one side of the arguement though.

Anyway, I thought the programme was good, except towards the end, when he brought in the stuff on the Middle Eastern Spring, and the Iranian failed revolution. He was trying to claim that it was people's inability to keep moving forward and make progress, but he didn't spend any time whatsoever on the debilitating effect of those in power. I thought it was kind of a lame and ill-thought out add-on that didn't belong to what was an otherwise excellent programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

Couldn't link to the video so had to link this blog. Not sure about the blog but the vid is very funny

Advertisement