Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louis Theroux visits the Miami Mega-Jail

Options
  • 20-05-2011 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭

Back with a two part programme starting this Sunday. Sounds a scary place and I'm 3,000 miles away...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13457576

Like Louis, so this should be good. Interesting how nearly all of his programmes centre on the US.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In America, jails are distinct from prisons in that they hold people who are pre-trial and therefore unconvicted.

I've learned something today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's on at 10:30PM on BBC2NI, not 9PM like they say on the BBC website.

Looks interesting, though there's been plenty of mega-prison docs and series before. Louis take on it will be the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

i'm 6'2 in a compact, no slack but luckily the seats go back hahaha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just watched it there, crazy stuff, i would not like to be as one guy said a cracker in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

Is this online

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

partyndbs wrote: »
    Is this online

Yeah its on Youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I wouldnt like to be in the shoes of that skinny white guy

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Yeah that "insane" white guy was really worried before he went into that cell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Keedowah wrote: »
    Yeah that "insane" white guy was really worried before he went into that cell!

Yeah i'd be sh1ting it meself pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

Great series !! love Louis , his style puts most at ease while asking sensitive questions ... legend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Damn I missed the first one and not really keen on watching it on youtube. Anyone know if they're re-airing the first ep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Green Back

Damn I missed the first one and not really keen on watching it on youtube. Anyone know if they're re-airing the first ep?

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news, but it was repeated late last night on BBC Two.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Green Back wrote: »
    Sorry for being the bearer of bad news, but it was repeated late last night on BBC Two.
    Damn :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Scary that anyone could end up in that place awaiting trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I got the impression that the majority of people who were locked up in there were stalling their trial, as in they didn't have a very good case and were playing for time. Still not a nice place to put people who are presumed innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

That skinny kid is on borrowed time:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Three years without trial?!?! In that place? Jesus Christ.

Good stuff, I really didn't think there was much more for Theroux to mine out of the American prison system, but that show was terrifying.

Just in case anybody was going as mad as I was trying to find out, the very excellent tune over the end credits was Bibio's Cry! Baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Babyface was a bad boy
    Two pals face charges they stalked and gravely wounded two young women in a drive-by shooting in Fontainebleau.

Nianthony Martinez, 20, and Angel Emilio Gamez Jr., 21, were charged with attempted first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

Neither man has a criminal history. Both described themselves as college students. Both confessed to the murder plot, Miami-Dade police say.

Oneida Cano, 20, and passenger Marian Zorrilla, 17, were wounded Thursday morning when someone in a passing car peppered their black Mazda with gunfire.

Martinez had dated Zorilla, but their relationship had ended. Her new romance was Cano, police said.

''He couldn't accept the fact that she had a new friend,'' said Miami-Dade Detective Mario Rachid, a spokesman.

A call placed to the Miami-Dade CrimeStoppers tip line helped detectives from the Midwest station crack the case, police said.

The women were shot about 2 a.m. on the road outside 10155 NW Ninth Street Cir., just north of Fontainebleau Boulevard.

Both women were airlifted to Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Shot about five or six times in the stomach, Cano is recovering at Jackson Memorial Hospital. Zorrilla, shot through the left cheek, was released Friday.

Martinez and Gamez had been ''planning [Zorrilla's] demise for awhile,'' according to a Miami-Dade arrest report.

Police said that on Wednesday night into early Thursday, Gamez drove Martinez around as they hunted their prey. Martinez wielded his buddy's 9mm handgun.

They conducted a surveillance on Cano at her job. The pair followed the car but lost the black Mazda. They found her again on Northwest Ninth Street Circle, along a quiet strip of gated condos, police said.

Martinez confessed to ''putting on latex gloves, a hoodie and loading a 9mm firearm,'' a police report said. He peppered the Mazda with bullets, police said.

As the car sped away, Martinez cursed.

''He thought he had missed and had not killed [Cano],'' the re

0030134065F.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

That guy facing the death penalty genuinely seems like a reformed character.

Advertisement