Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-mailing the Senior Lecturer?

Options
  • 14-09-2015 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I need some advice and would appreciate anything from anyone who has had a similar experience or heard anything of this sort from a reliable source.

So basically, the senior lecturer has to make a decision regarding an issue- the result of which is very important to me. If the decision is not in my favor, I might not be able to continue with college.

The senior tutor/ my own tutor will contact the senior lecturer about this issue but I'm thinking about emailing the senior lecturer myself so that I'm able to fully and comprehensively explain my situation.

If the decision does not turn out to be favorable, then at least I'll know that I fully explained myself.

Good/ bad? Any ideas? Could this improve the chances of a nice decision and is emailing the senior lecturer directly even allowed?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jasnah

I think this is something that will depend completely on the circumstances. Given that you probably shouldn't share that here, you should probably ask your tutor whether they think it is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭IWJ

But its not against any sort of regulation to email the senior lecturer directly is it? I don't think it should be but you never know!

Just want to make sure I'm operating within the bounds of the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

IWJ wrote: »
    But its not against any sort of regulation to email the senior lecturer directly is it? I don't think it should be but you never know!

Just want to make sure I'm operating within the bounds of the rules.

I highly doubt it would be against regulations. However, my experiences of the Senior Lecturer are that she is consistently very slow at responding. Your email will likely go to the secretary and that person will likely just put it in your file, alongside other documents relating to your case.

qweerty wrote: »
    I highly doubt it would be against regulations. However, my experiences of the Senior Lecturer are that she is consistently very slow at responding. Your email will likely go to the secretary and that person will likely just put it in your file, alongside other documents relating to your case.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly was your issue that you needed to speak to the Senior Lecturer?

No worries if you don't want to say on here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

It says on the TCD website to call the Senior Tutor if you cant contact your own Tutor. I was calling mine solidly for 2 days last week without any response. I would email them and explain your situation. The worst they can do is tell you to go back to your own tutor

• Advertisement

newacc2015 wrote: »
    It says on the TCD website to call the Senior Tutor if you cant contact your own Tutor. I was calling mine solidly for 2 days last week without any response. I would email them and explain your situation. The worst they can do is tell you to go back to your own tutor

Senior Lecturer- not tutor :P

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dabh

A few words of caution. Probably few if any are in a position to predict how cases will be handled by the Senior Lecturer and her office. They take decisions in thousands of cases each summer, and the time taken to process cases varies considerably.

You should not assume that you have nothing to lose by emailing the Senior Lecturer yourself, as well as making the case through your tutor. It is probably fair to say that a reasonably prompt decision is more likely in a case that seems straightforward and uncomplicated on the basis of the paperwork, or that seems both clear-cut and urgent. A case file containing a separate plea from a student arguing a case "fully and comprehensively" is less likely to be viewed as the sort of case that is best dealt with through a summary decision by the Senior Lecturer, and more likely to be viewed as the sort of case that would be more appropriately dealt with through a Court of Appeal. And Senior Lecturers in the past have in more involved cases issued rulings to the effect that the Court of Examiners should make a decision on purely academic grounds, in the expectation that an appeal will then be brought, resulting in the case made by the student though the tutor being considered by Court of Appeal whose membership will evaluate the case made by the student. Such cases only come to the Senior Lecturer for final approval if and when Courts of Appeal have first decided the case in favour of the student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

It depends on what your issue is about to be honest? You are not giving enough context. Is it over supplementals/ registration?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭notabasicb

I've had several decisions about me made by the senior lecturer always through an application by my tutor. I'd stick with the tutor application alone. They know what they are doing. Also if your school supports your application more generally Senior Lecturer seems to seriously take that into account.

Once the senior lecturer gets involved all the cases she reviews have serious implications for the student typically, as you mentioned, whether or not continuing in college is permitted. Therefore, with respect, I don't think anything you have to say in your own personal application will be anything they haven't heard before. Make sure that your tutor, however, has made a full application which you are happy represents your case.

As to the length of time it takes to receive the decision I completely understand you might be getting anxious. To be honest the decisions can take weeks. I previously waited a month.

Advertisement