Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body found near location of missing Irish teen in Spain - Amy Fitzpatrick?

Options
  • 15-04-2009 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Saw this headline on breakingnews.ie around 7pm, but it's since been taken down...
    It's still on here though:
    http://www.tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=12012&locID=1.2.139.&pagename=news

Seems odd that the media picked up on it, but I wonder now if they're back peddling?

Anyone else heard about it?
    Surely this will be a big story if it turns out to be linked

TV3 has learned that a body has been found near where an Irish teenager disappeared in Spain last year.

The discovery comes on the day that Ireland signed up to the Amber alert system, for missing children.

Body

This morning Amy's aunt Christine Kenny found out on the internet that a body has been found near where she disappeared.

"There was a body found in a pipe similar to a sewerage pipe and the body was very badly burnt," she told TV3 News.

Ms. Kenny went on to say that Amy's family are waiting for DNA results.

"It was found on Sunday in La Cala, it will take a number of days before they can identify the body."

Campaign

Christine has been tirelessly campaigning for an alert system for missing people in Ireland, ever since her niece disappeared.

Following a recommendation from the Garda Inspectorate, an amber alert system has been set up along with a number of other recommendations.

Chief Inspector of the Garda Síochána Inspectorate Kathleen O' Toole outlined some of the conditions associated with these new measures.

"There has to be definite evidence that the child has been abducted," she said.

"In addition there has to be evidence or concern that the child would be in imminent danger."

It's 16 months since Amy Fitzpatrtick went missing in the Costa Del Sol - the 16 year-old vanished after leaving her friends house on January 1st 2008.

Despite a search around her home where she lived with her mother and step-father, the teenager was never found.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I've got conflicting views on this

1. It would be good in the sense that the family finally has answers to what happen to her and can put her at rest.

2. Part of me hopes it isn't her and that they still might find her alive but that will lead the family suffer more doubts and fears.

Either way, its a sad day when a young girls body is found :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

At least if it is her, the family will have closure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Id say the info was given prematurely, and legally had to retract.

Sad, but sigificant.

well one way or another some poor thing has been found in awful circumstances and that's very sad. At least they can't suffer now.

Taken from OP.
    "There was a body found in a pipe similar to a sewerage pipe and the body was very badly burnt,".

Surely there must have been an awful stench when the body was burned.
    Put that with the heat over there, it puzzles me how it took so long to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

got this from some spanish site:
    http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_20890.shtml
    also same here
    http://www.costadelsol.st/news/news_pres.php3?nr=800078620&type=1

Seems the aunt only found out over the internet (probably these links) and is making the jump herself and hasn't got any contact from the Spanish police?
    No wonder some of the media here took it down...

Burnt body found in La Cala de Mijas waste pipe
    larger | smaller
    By m.p. - Apr 13, 2009 - 10:07 PM
    The fire is believed to have been set just the night before

An autopsy is to take place on a badly burnt body which was found in a waste pipe in La Cala de Mijas this Sunday.
    The discovery was made by a passerby in the area of La Rosa on Sunday morning, a short distance away from La Cala’s football ground, Málaga Hoy newspaper reports.

It’s understood the autopsy could take some days to complete, as only parts of the cranium and body had survived the blaze, which it’s believed may have been set only the night before. An initial examination was unable to determine either the sex or the age of the victim.

The newspaper notes the body was found close to the area where the British man, Tony King, killed the Mijas youngster, Rocío Wanninkof, in October 1999. He’s now serving 19 years in prison for her murder

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Horrible for them if it is Amy but at least its closure for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

It was a man's body, not hers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Taken from OP.
    "There was a body found in a pipe similar to a sewerage pipe and the body was very badly burnt,".

Surely there must have been an awful stench when the body was burned.
    Put that with the heat over there, it puzzles me how it took so long to find it.

If it was burnt badly, it wouldnt smell as badly as it would if it was left there without being burnt.

Was it burnt at the scene? If the body was burnt at the scene, its not passed regularly.

If the body was burned, then the perp was paranoid about leaving DNA.

/CSI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Think this should be locked until official reliable information to be released.

I doubt its a pleasant read for family members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

ball wrote: »
    It was a man's body, not hers

Are you sure? I heard on newstalk this evening that it would be a couple of days before they knew whether it was a man or woman.

Either way, sad for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

Abigayle wrote: »
    If it was burnt badly, it wouldnt smell as badly as it would if it was left there without being burnt.

Was it burnt at the scene? If the body was burnt at the scene, its not passed regularly.

If the body was burned, then the perp was paranoid about leaving DNA.

/CSI
    I suppose it depends on the location, but what I meant was if the body was discovered near where Amy went missing surely they would have found it while they were searching for her.

I know it has since been pointed out that the body was male, but you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It appears to be her family that found the story are making the link.
    Read the TV3 report again.

Don't know why it should be locked. Sure, it should be modded well if it gets out of hand, but locking it is going a bit far tbh.

EDIT - seems the 'official' bebo site has it down that it's not her.

Guess can be locked / deleted for now so if mods want to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Think this should be locked until official reliable information to be released.

:rolleyes:

We all feel a bit bad for the family etc but its bad enough with mods censoring sh1t around here without normal members jumping in too

People die all the time, are we not allowed talk about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Piriz wrote: »
    today pal after that comment your the skanger...hope you get banned u prick!

internet

I suppose it depends on the location, but what I meant was if the body was discovered near where Amy went missing surely they would have found it while they were searching for her.

I know it has since been pointed out that the body was male, but you know what I mean.

Is it just me - and this is based on tabloid type reports - or do some european countries seem to make a balls of CSI type investigations. They just don't seem to be as good at protecting evidence etc. Maybe that's just a really bad generalisation?
    Sorry for the CSI reference but you know what I'm getting at.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement