Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Five coming to Ireland ...

• 04-12-2005 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

From an article by Paul O'Kane in today's Sunday Tribune -

"Five Examines Possible Republic Option

British terrestrial broadcaster Five is in talks to have it's service carried in the Republic.

Executives from the station are currently in talks with cable operator Chorus/Ntl and Sky and are also thought to have had contact with AC Nielson, which compiles viewership data in the Republic.

A spokesman for Five, which was previously known as Channel 5, said the station hoped to be broadcasting in the Republic in the New Year."

The article goes on to talk about a possible advertising opt-out.

Hopefully we'll see Five (and it's planned new channels Five.2 and Five.3) on Sky soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

Cue snorts from the obsessive possesives about British television on UK boards..:D

"My preciousssss...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If this does go ahead, do C4 really want to be left as the odd one out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

fantastic news, especially that they are in negotiation with cable and Sky :)
    RTL obviously see a market here. as for C4 being the odd one out, i think they dont really care tbh

this belongs more in Broadcasting as it isnt platform specific so i will move it there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

it mentions early new year which could mean january. one thing though dont five currently block rte in NI from showing home and away etc on sky. so unless they agree something expect rte to do the same if five try to broadcast those shows on sky here..

interesting point about the programme blocks. five i believe are now ahead of RTÉ with Home & Away, by an episode or 2 though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

FIVE is an excellent channel for insomniac sports fans. :D

It's also a nuisance with the FTV card. takes ages to load. Hope it just goes on the EPG. Is UTV going on irish EPG ? somebody on digitalspy thinks so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

Pal wrote:
    FIVE is an excellent channel for insomniac sports fans. :D

Is UTV going on irish EPG ? somebody on digitalspy thinks so.

yeah, heard that too. rumour has it that it's going to be on the EPG
    December 19th. again as rumour goes.... we will have to wait and see.

where did you hear that rumour?

Mossy Monk wrote:
    where did you hear that rumour?

Hi Mossy, Our local sat installer (he's right 51% of the time)

Paul.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Darth Maul

Just recieved information from a friend in the UK who works for Five, that this will not be happening in the near future, confirmed that they had looked into the posibility but due to some of their contract rights its not feasible at the moment

• Advertisement

kinda thought it was unlikely that five would go straight onto the sky epg and broadcast in the republic as soon as that. Especially with tv3 on the warpath over utv going fta it would cost five a lot more than they would make through opt out ads to buy the satellite rights much more whether they would be available .

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, that would be a shame.

Not sure what rights issues Five would have though. I know TV3 carry Family Affairs, five's soap, though that's been pulled afaik. Then there's Home & Away, though maybe they could come to an agreement with RTE, let them air it in NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

The only other rights that I can think offhand that might cause a problem are the various CSI's where 5 tend to broadcast them before RTE.

If they were only on SKY or NTL digital though that would limit the rights issue problem.

Are 5 thinking rights are a bigger problem because they also want to be on the Analogue service ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I wonder what price FTV cards will be in a few months.... :)

Darth Maul wrote:
    Just recieved information from a friend in the UK who works for Five, that this will not be happening in the near future, confirmed that they had looked into the posibility but due to some of their contract rights its not feasible at the moment

Just so there's no confusion, i was talking about UTV on the EPG, not FIVE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Darth Maul

Sorry for the confusion, I was refering to the original post that Channel 5 was considering officially broadcasting into Ireland through cable and Sky, but that plan has now been shelved after investigation, due to the higher cost to purchase programme rights, and it was deemed that the advertising recieved would not fully cover these cost.

UTV on the Irish EPG, is still a ways off, AFAIK, they are happy enough that it is available as it is through other programs or a FTA box.

Oh but wa told that they will be opting to go FTA when their current deal with Sky ends, also that their new Channel (Channel five.2) will be FTA from launch, but still discussing that with sky to see if the current contract they have with them will allow this.

sounds promising guess we will have to wait until 2008 then to see it without having to invest in a ftv card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I have had Five since I got my first Analog Sat RX. It was even on TV aerial from Limerick Radio 1 (with local advert opt outs). Can't say it excites me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

watty wrote:
    I have had Five since I got my first Analog Sat RX. It was even on TV aerial from Limerick Radio 1 (with local advert opt outs). Can't say it excites me.

I suppose it's just the attraction of the unknown. If Film Four goes FTA, then it will probably be popular for a week or two - then people will become used to it (and may become bored with it).:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

It would be a nice addition, however from what i've heard/seen it isn't all that great...

• Advertisement

on the flipside i think the opposite, it is better than ITV and Channel 4 imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

For anyone who's not familiar with five's schedule, here's todays: (From Digiguide)
    06:00 - 09:25 Kids Stuff

09:25
    The Wright Stuff (Talk Show)
    Topical debate show presented by Matthew Wright. Today's panellists are Lowri Turner and Ed Vaizey MP. Sun columnist Jon Gaunt is today's guest.
    (Stereo, Subtitles) (Visit the Official Web Site)

10:30
    The Trisha Goddard Show (Talk Show)
    Britain's Extraordinary Families.
    Daytime discussion show. Today we celebrate parents and children who are truly amazing. Guy's best friend Alison Lapper has been immortalised in a sculpture in Trafalgar Square. It shows her pregnant naked body, with no arms and legs. Doctors said Maxine should have been dead six months ago due to cancer. She and her 16-year-old daughter Jessica are cramming everything they can into their lives - including writing a song that got to number eleven in the charts.
    (Stereo, Subtitles)

11:30
    five News (News)
    National and international news with Kate Gerbeau.
    (Stereo, Subtitles)

12:00
    Home and Away (Soap)
    Hayley faces a life-threatening health scare and Scott realises he might lose her. Josie causes havoc in the Bay.
    Starring: Kip Gamblin, Rebecca Cartwright, Chris Hemsworth, Laurie Foel
    (Stereo, Repeat, Subtitles, Signed, Audio Described) (Visit the Official Web Site)

12:30
    Brainteaser (Game Show)
    Jonathan Gould presents the interactive game show in which four contestants test their wits in a variety of word puzzles. Viewers can also take part via phone and e-mail.
    (Stereo) (Visit the Official Web Site)

13:30
    First Target (Film)
    Thriller about a strong-willed US Secret Service agent who finds herself attempting to prevent an elaborate plot to assassinate the president.
    Director: Armand Mastroianni
    Starring: Daryl Hannah, Doug Savant, Ona Grauer, Brandy Ledford, Peter Flemming, Gary Bakewell
    (Stereo, Subtitles, Made For TV, 2000, 15)

15:30
    Deadly Encounter (Film)
    Television movie about the dramatic aerial adventures of a veteran combat pilot, who runs a helicopter charter service in Mexico and becomes involved in a dangerous mission to help an old girlfriend flee a group of thugs.
    Director: William A. Graham
    Starring: Larry Hagman, Susan Anspach, James Gammon, Michael C. Gwynne, Jose Chavez, Jack Dunlop
    (Stereo, Subtitles, 1972, 2 Star)

17:30
    five News (News)
    National and international news with Helen Fospero.
    (Stereo, Subtitles)

18:00
    Home and Away (Soap)
    Hayley's decision is cause for concern. Cassie ups the stakes to keep Ric. Chloe hides the real reason for her visit.
    Starring: Rebecca Cartwright, Sharni Vinson, Mark Furze
    (Stereo, Subtitles, Audio Described) (Visit the Official Web Site)

18:30
    Family Affairs (Soap)
    A grief-stricken Aamina tries to get Sami to see things her way. Cat is devastated when she faces rejection. It's the first day of the panto and nerves are fraught.
    Starring: Souad Faress, Hosh Kane, Nicola Duffett, Gareth Hale, Richard Frame
    (Stereo, Subtitles, 3 Star) (Visit the Official Web Site)

19:00
    five News (News)
    National and international news with Helen Fospero.
    (Stereo, Subtitles)

19:15
    Great Ocean Adventure (Nature)
    The Tropical Giant.
    On his global adventure seeking out the ocean's most amazing creatures, Monty Halls takes an incredible journey across war torn Mozambique, encountering some of the biggest elephants in Africa, on his way to dive in search of the surreal potato bass, a giant with a friendly nature but a fearsome face.
    (Stereo, Followed by five news update, Subtitles)

20:00
    How Not to Decorate (DIY)
    Alderley Edge.
    Interior design series presented by Colin McAllister and Justin Ryan. This week's house is in one of the wealthiest villages in the country: Alderley Edge, once home to Posh and Becks. Having visions of a large mansion to work on, the boys are brought down to earth with a bump when they discover their mission is a tiny ex-council house suffering from chronic DIY trauma, home to the fabulously chirpy Jo and her young son Harvey.
    (Stereo, Followed by five news at 9, Subtitles)

21:00
    Aircrash Investigations (Documentary)
    Deadly Delay.
    Documentary series investigating flight disasters. Terrorists seize a plane and start killing the passengers. They intend to crash the plane on central Paris. The French Prime Minister issues an ultimatum - whatever happens, the plane must not be allowed to reach Paris.
    (Stereo, Subtitles)

22:00
    Killer Instinct (Drama)
    Pilot Episode. Series 1, episode 1.
    Drama series about a San Francisco police department who investigate the city's most bizarre and deviant crimes. After his partner dies in the line of duty, Detective Jack Hale returns to the Deviant Crime Unit. In his latest case, Hale tries to find an answer for the inexplicable deaths of healthy young women who seem to have died in their sleep. The investigation leads the detective to the lab of a local professor and a realisation that makes everyone's skin crawl.
    Starring: Johnny Messner, Chi McBride, Marguerite Moreau
    (Stereo, New Series, Subtitles)

23:00
    Naked Celebrity (Documentary)
    The Body Language of Power.
    Body language expert Judi James analyses how famous people mask their true emotions. We look at famous couples who've turned posing together into an art form. Their overt chemistry tells us a lot about their private relationships. And we get extraordinary insights into the life of the world's most powerful man - courtesy of his wife! Also, Judi analyses the sexual power signals of one of Hollywood's greatest divas and how she uses them to dominate and control other people.
    (Stereo, Subtitles)

00:00
    John Barnes' Football Night (Sport)
    Football magazine show with studio guests, news and features looking ahead to the weekend action in the Barclays Premiership, Coca Cola Championship and Leagues One and Two.
    (Stereo)

00:45
    Golazo Football Show (Sport)
    Football show taking an insider's view of the global game. A fast-paced, action-packed magazine programme with all the latest news and features, plus exclusive interviews with the stars of 'the beautiful game'.
    (Stereo)

01:35
    Dutch Football (Sport)
    Ajax V Rkc Waalwijk.
    The Game of the Week from Holland and all the action from a top of the table clash in the Dutch EreDivisie where defending champions PSV have taken a lead over AZ Alkmaar and Feyenoord, featuring Ajax versus RKC.
    (Stereo)

03:05
    Portuguese Football (Sport)
    Porto V Sporting Lisbon.
    The top game from Portugal with the Game of the Week from the Super Liga where Braga and CD Nacional have led the table from the big clubs Benfica and Porto. In tonight's game, giants Porto and Sporting go head to head in a must-win game for both teams.
    (Stereo)

04:35
    Argentinian Football (Sport)
    Boca Juniors V Independiente.
    Football from Argentina and the top game from Latin America's most competitive domestic league, the Torneo Apertura. Boca Juniors versus Independiente.
    (Stereo)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Have to admit, five has grown on me the past few months. Usually, I'd just flick past it, but now I tend to stop on it more often! :)

I'd definitely watch it more than ITV.

Advertisement