Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVR v Sky+

Options
  • 22-11-2004 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks
    I have a query for you...Is it possible to record Sky digital or the output from a freeview receiver to DVR?.
    I would like to be able to record sky channels as well as those from freeview to DVR rather than paying sky €149 + extra subscription for SKY+.

any ideas?
    If you were getting sky for first time what would you recommend?

regards
    eirlink

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭The Security ma

Hi Boss,

You know who I am now... My cover is blown (AGAIN!)...
    Your in the wrong job, should have been a DETECTIVE.

Anyways, I have Sky and upgraded to a sky+ box two years ago (at a cost of €299 (nearly as bad as a certain Alarm company I know...:D )

I had to have the movie package or else they would charge me €15 alone per month for +, as well as my package subscription.
    Got fed up of this, crap movies, constant repeats etc. so I got the sky+ taken off and just reverted to the basic family package (@€;25 per month) - I still kept the sky box, as I had paid for it.

My VCR packed in last week (after 8 years) so I have been looking for an alternative. Got a brochure off Farnell.ie this week, and on the back page had exactly what I was looking for;
    (Sorry about the LONG link;)

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/catalog.jsp?fhquery=fh_secondid%3Ddvdr3300h_05_ie_consumer%26fh_location%3D%2F%2Fconsumer%2Fen_IE%2Fcategories%3Ccatalog_ie_consumer%2Fcategories%3Chome_audio_video_gr_ie_consumer%2Fcategories%3Cdvd_players_recorders_ca_ie_consumer%26&productId=DVDR3300H_05_IE_CONSUMER&activeCategory=DVD_PLAYERS_RECORDERS_CA_IE_CONSUMER&fredhopperpage=detail.jsp&language=en&country=IE&catalogType=CONSUMER&proxybuster=M5OWV3IEQA0SPJ0RMRESHP3HKFSEKI5P

It was priced on special offer at €328 inc. Vat - THEY ARE ALL SOLD OUT! BUMMER.....
    I tried to get the same unit elsewhere but was being quoted €800 upwards for the same machine! No wonder they were all sold out.
    This machine does exactly what Sky+ does, and also does away with your VCR.

Roll on the next batch to Farnell!

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Hi Security Ma
    As far as i know Lidl are diong a recordable DVR with 160Gb hard drive onboard within next two weeks .its supposed to reatil for €299 .....
    could be what you are looking for as it does exactly what sky + does Ie pause live tv,skip ads etc.

only drawback is it will not be prompted to record using the sky EPG...you will have to program it using its own software.

hope this helps
    regards
    eirlink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭paconnors

you can get this lad connect from sky box, sit it on top of the dvd rec using your epg just select autoview and this lad does the rest :D:D.

have one myself and it works a treat. you can buy them in maplin for around €40 Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Nothing does exactly what a Sky+ does.

A satellite PVR will record the digital transmission "as is", playback is indentical to live.

An non-Sky+ Satellite PVR can only record the Free To Air Sky channels. A Sky+ with viewing card is needed for the encrypted channels.

A standalone PVR / DVR like the Lidl model does not connect to a satellite dish. It can record via analog from a Sky Digibox, or via a built in TV tuner. Quality is less, and similar to a really good S-VHS recorder.

So there are three options, not mutually exclusive:

Sky+ (but only records Sky EPG channels, can't be used for any other Satellite channels). Only Analog out to connect to TV. No PC connection or DVD making/playing.

Non-Sky Satellite PVR (inc PC with a Satellite card). Will record any FTA (Free To Air) satellite channel, perfect playback. Some models can use viewing cards of continental pay tv providers such as AB-Sat, Canal+ etc. Only high end models have any analog in. Many can make DVDs or connect to PC to make DVD etc. Some have wireless LAN and/or ethernet etc to stream any channel to lap top / PC or even another country over a very fast broadband (10Mbps upload recommended!)

An analog input PVR which might have DVD RAM and/or Hard Disk, might have an analog TV tuner. Can connect to Sky box via SCART ro record via analog in. Can record analog TV aerial signals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kduffy

eirlink wrote:
    Hi Security Ma
    As far as i know Lidl are diong a recordable DVR with 160Gb hard drive onboard within next two weeks .its supposed to reatil for €299 .....
    could be what you are looking for as it does exactly what sky + does Ie pause live tv,skip ads etc.

only drawback is it will not be prompted to record using the sky EPG...you will have to program it using its own software.

hope this helps
    regards
    eirlink

Hi security ma/eirlink :)

This is a posting a while back & the answer i got back i hope this helps us all.
    The Aldi dvdr :eek:
    Phillips dvdr :cool:
    sky+ :confused:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50427302#post50427302

give me a reply to what yous think of the whole thing sky+/hdd-dvdr :confused:

KDUFFY

• Advertisement
Advertisement