Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxed online; Insured over phone; No disks yet. How big the fine can be?

Options
  • 11-09-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I bought a car from a dealership and the tax disc on it says 01/15..
    I already taxed the car online and saved the confirmation screen.
    I also transferred the insurance from our old car to this new car over the phone (AA).

No discs yet, but all is paid, sorted the best/quickest way possible.
    What I can have in the windscreen for now is:
    - Tax disc: 01/15
    - Insurance disc with the wrong reg, but all other details correct (ongoing policy, got the reg changed on it via the phone)

What could be the biggest fine in this case?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

xboxdad wrote: »
    Hi All,

I bought a car from a dealership and the tax disc on it says 01/15..
    I already taxed the car online and saved the confirmation screen.
    I also transferred the insurance from our old car to this new car over the phone (AA).

No discs yet, but all is paid, sorted the best/quickest way possible.
    What I can have in the windscreen for now is:
    - Tax disc: 01/15
    - Insurance disc with the wrong reg, but all other details correct (ongoing policy, got the reg changed on it via the phone)

What could be the biggest fine in this case?

Thank you.

Absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Absolutely fine.

Sounds a bit too good to be true :)
    I was pretty sure driving the car like this is (a minor) offense.
    Are you saying that it can't cause an issue at all?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I would take the insurance disk down as it doesn't have the correct registration. If you get stopped at a checkpoint you are going to have to explain about the tax anyway. Use off street parking until you get your disks which you should have in the next few days anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You don't need to display an insurance disc within the first 10 days of taking out the policy.
    You can't be prosecuted for not having tax but driving without displaying a valid tax disc is a separate offence. In the circumstances a Garda is unlikely to prosecute you for non-display of a valid tax disc. If a Traffic Warden issues you a fine you may appeal it and probably won't have yo pay either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Thank you.

Worst case scenario, you get a sixty euro fine for failing to display, you appeal it and the judge throws it out. Chances of that happening, about ten thousand to one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Brasso

Thank you.

Failure to display tax disc is a €60 fine but no points. It can be issued by garda or parking wardens though. It's also an offence to not display your insurance, could be the same €60 fine again, not sure on that one. I think most gardai would give you 10 days to produce your documents at the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Absolutely fine.
    Agreed, with the exception of the the eagle-eyed parking wardens doing you for non-display, As Kol has mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Brasso wrote: »
    Failure to display tax disc is a €60 fine but no points. It can be issued by garda or parking wardens though. It's also an offence to not display your insurance, could be the same €60 fine again, not sure on that one. I think most gardai would give you 10 days to produce your documents at the station.

That depends on when the OP changed his policy
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1984/en/si/0355.html
    5. (1) When a vehicle is used in a public place the insurance disc for the vehicle shall be carried on the vehicle at all times after the expiry of 10 days from the date of authentication of the certificate of insurance.

Thanks guys, I think I won't have the insurance disc in the window then.

Can I be parking at LIDL/Tesco and tourist attractions that have their own parking area? (like Glendalough, Powerscourt Waterfall, etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Brasso

slimjimmc wrote: »
    That depends on when the OP changed his policy
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1984/en/si/0355.html

Ah, I didn't know about that 10 day rule. Is it a €60 fine after that do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Thanks guys, I think I won't have the insurance disc in the window then.

Can I be parking at LIDL/Tesco and tourist attractions that have their own parking area? (like Glendalough, Powerscourt Waterfall, etc...)

Anywhere that is not subject to paid parking monitored by government traffic wardens. So you should be fine at the supermarket etc Private firms can't give out tickets for non display of tax.

Thank you all. It sounds much better than I expected :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

I had the same issue as yourself.

Bought a car that was taxed with no tax disc, transferred insurance policy over the phone.

I drove around for over 2 weeks with no tax disc and my old insurance cert.

5W30 wrote: »
    I had the same issue as yourself.

Bought a car that was taxed with no tax disc, transferred insurance policy over the phone.

I drove around for over 2 weeks with no tax disc and my old insurance cert.

I'm hoping there's nothing more to this story.. Happy end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

I'm hoping there's nothing more to this story.. Happy end?

Yep, not a bother :)

5W30 wrote: »
    Yep, not a bother :)

Sounds good!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd print off the pages confirming your purchase of tax and insurance, just in case.

I'd print off the pages confirming your purchase of tax and insurance, just in case.

Thank you.
    Yeah, I will do that for tax.
    As for insurance, the reg change was made over the phone, no receipt received.

Advertisement