Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to create an e-learning site

Options
  • 06-03-2015 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Firstly I hope I have posted this in the correct forum.

I'm looking to create an e-learning site for the purpose of a project (it does not have to be actually implemented). I would like to include content such as audio, video, possibly a quiz with a series of questions to test users knowledge. I also need to add some sort of functionality such as a login for users (standard users, advanced user - add message to welcome user and note time since they last logged in).....that sort of thing.

I am a complete novice to this area and was looking for some pointers. Software wise what could I use? Articulate Storyline? Joomla? To add some type of functionality could I add a webserver (Apache) and make a connection to the e-learning site? What could I use to create/store user accounts? Basically I need a little more than just simply an e-learning site. I need to be a bit creative and add a bit more functionality.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

You could use something like Moodle - the most popular LMS available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm wondering what the objective of the project is. Is it to learn development or a college project. Or a quick means to deliver some content. Is it a one off project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aloud

From what it sounds like you need a custom built website, something in Ruby on Rails maybe, dont think Joomla will suffice, plus IMO its unstable most of the time with timeouts, last thing you would want.

It all depends on the complexity of the site, elearning sites like Treehouse & codecademy are all custom made with subscriptions tiers.

Moodle is more of a forum with a repository of files and access levels.

Advertisement