Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me migrate to new phone please?

• 03-11-2013 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a Note 2 (stock ROM and its NOT rooted) and am due an upgrade to the Note 3 tomorrow.

Whe I've changed phone in the past I've either had to manually re-install all my apps and data or I've been able to use Titanium backup where I had flashed custom ROM's and rooted the device.

I'd really like a smooth transition to the new phone but as I'm trading in the Note 2 I won't have the two phones together so can't use the Samsung Smart Switch app and as the Note 2 isn't rooted I can't use Titanium backup.

Any suggestions for migrating all my apps + app data + settings and wi-fi passwords etc?

I do have "Back up my data" and "Automatic Restore" ticked in settings on the Note 2 so I guess there is a chance my Note 2 apps and settings will just reappear on the Note 3 once I set up my account on it but I'd like to be 100% sure abut that before I go ahead and trade in the Note 2.

Also, I was planning on doing a factory reset before trading in the Note 2 but am now thinking if I do that then maybe nothing will be restored to the Note 3???

Confused.com :confused:

Cheers,

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Since when do upgrades require the submission of the old phone to the retailer/network???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

pajopearl wrote: »
    Since when do upgrades require the submission of the old phone to the retailer/network???

My understanding is that he is trading in the Note 2 against the price of the Note 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

pajopearl wrote: »

12 months into a 24 month Vodafone contract. Am entitled to an "upgrade" after 12 months whereby I give them the phone I bought last year and they give me my choice of equivalent phone tomorow. It was a €10 per month option on the contract. Not sure it was worth it though :( €240 to upgrade from a Note 2 to a Note 3?

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

BenThere wrote: »
    12 months into a 24 month Vodafone contract. Am entitled to an "upgrade" after 12 months whereby I give them the phone I bought last year and they give me my choice of equivalent phone tomorow. It was a €10 per month option on the contract. Not sure it was worth it though :( €240 to upgrade from a Note 2 to a Note 3?

Ben

That's awful expensive for an upgrade. Granted it's a premium phone, but surely you'd get it cheaper than that if you were to switch network. Keep your number n all. As for swapping over your apps seemlessly, would they give you a couple hours/days grace with the handing in of the phone so that you could do it? Also, I get the impression that you've paid a premium to get the entitlement to upgrade mid contract. If that's the case, you're defo gettin ripped off at having to pay €240 to upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I'm not sure how reliable Google's backup feature is due to it having no customization option, thus relying on their own systems to determine what gets backed up and restored, so I see your problem.

In addition, because your phone is not rooted, you won't have access to the data. Now, you can backup your SMS messages (third-party app saves an them to an XML on your SD card, usually - very reliable in my 2-year experience of doing so) and if you use WhatsApp, those messages can be backed up inside the app (to your SD card, which you can then backup to your computer).

As for other app data, it'd be locked down, I'm afraid. That's why Titanium Backup and the like requires root permissions to operate.

To remember what apps you have installed on your phone, there are apps that can list them and they'll be saved to your SD card. Upon setting up your Note 3, you'd install the app and the app should then cycle through each one in the play store (there's no way to do it all at once, sadly) and you can install them (which is still quicker than manually searching for each app).

So without root, I think that's about all you can hope for outside of what Samsung can provide you.

If you go down this route, then all you need to do is backup your SD card upon completion and that's your stuff safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Samsung Kies would work surely?

Samsung Kies would work surely?

I though so too but I can't find a backup function in the app. An I missing something?

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

BenThere wrote: »
    I though so too but I can't find a backup function in the app. An I missing something?

Ben

Isn't there an option to synch in kies?

Isn't there an option to synch in kies?

Not that I can find. The only option in settings that looks remotely like a function which would facilitate migrating from one phone to another is "Lock Contents" but I'm unsure what that actually does.

Ben

My faux pax :o

I was using the Kies Air app on my phone, not the Kies program for windows !!

I think I'm on the right track now,

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Yeah Ben, as I found out to my own expense (and an ignoring wife for a week) there is an option in kies to synch the phone. I should have checked that out before factory resetting her phone and losing all her pics (including our youngest daughter's first year photos :mad:)

You'll love the note 3, best phone I've ever owned. No doubt about it.:)

Advertisement