Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U-21 Hurling Championship 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Ye still absolutely destroyed us. Thought ye were very impressive on the day.

We looked clueless under TJ... and he somehow got the senior job, and now he's in a Munster final.

Beat Cork handily too, but no one seemed to have any faith in their management.

Then Clare went and in truth, hammered us in the final, and still took Hogan until around the 50th minute to bring on some good ball winners.

The best example was the Clare centre back, caught nearly every high ball that came his way all match. Colin O Riordan came on as a sub late in the 2nd half. Long free hit in as Tipp were needing a goal, O Riordan runs about ten feet forward and jumps and catches the ball over the centre backs head. Tipp end up winning a penalty out of it.

Was a switch that needed to be made after 15 mins but took them the whole match to figure it out, will we ever learn? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ompala wrote: »
    Beat Cork handily too, but no one seemed to have any faith in their management.

Then Clare went and in truth, hammered us in the final, and still took Hogan until around the 50th minute to bring on some good ball winners.

The best example was the Clare centre back, caught nearly every high ball that came his way all match. Colin O Riordan came on as a sub late in the 2nd half. Long free hit in as Tipp were needing a goal, O Riordan runs about ten feet forward and jumps and catches the ball over the centre backs head. Tipp end up winning a penalty out of it.

Was a switch that needed to be made after 15 mins but took them the whole match to figure it out, will we ever learn? :rolleyes:

Better than simply raining balls straight down on top of backs who are dominating, and contrinuing to do that, hoping that one of your marquee players will do something magical.

You'd wonder sometimes how clearly intelligent men who know the game can't see a simple switch? If everyone sitting in the crowd is calling for a certain change, and that change happens too late, but does make an impact... why did it take so long? There's no way someone who has been chosen to be manager of an intercounty team can't realise something that your average fan does, there has to be something more. Is it loyalty to players, sticking to a gameplan... do they just know more about the players and think it won't work? It's odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Better than simply raining balls straight down on top of backs who are dominating, and contrinuing to do that, hoping that one of your marquee players will do something magical.

You'd wonder sometimes how clearly intelligent men who know the game can't see a simple switch? If everyone sitting in the crowd is calling for a certain change, and that change happens too late, but does make an impact... why did it take so long? There's no way someone who has been chosen to be manager of an intercounty team can't realise something that your average fan does, there has to be something more. Is it loyalty to players, sticking to a gameplan... do they just know more about the players and think it won't work? It's odd.

Because usually the crowd have a simple solution that is completely wrong.
    The issue at the end of the clare tipp
    Game last year ead that the clare forwards stopped tackling once the game was under control.
    They got a right going over for it afterwards

I heard nothing about the game against Limerick so I cant answer that. According to those in the know this is a decent Kilkenny squad but are very much in the unknown bracket. Tomorrow will tell a lot about them.

Hard to see where the players would be found consiidering the minor performances in the last few seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Hard to see where the players would be found consiidering the minor performances in the last few seasons

I never heard anything about that Limerick game and I would be in the know in terms of whats going on at underage in the county. When was that?

We have unearthed a few players and looking at the 25 man minor panel who lost in an All Ireland quarter final to Waterford 3 years ago, 9 of that panel are gone completely many of whom were starting that day including the full back and centre back and a few others who were starting are on the subs or extended panel. Certainly losing our best player Kevin Kelly is a huge loss but I feel we have a decent team the exception of maybe 3 players there on the starting team who I do not rate at all including 2 in the full forward line alone. We are a bit of an unknown quantity to be perfectly honest, its a new look team so we dont really know what to expect. THey did beat Tipp in a Challenge game a few weeks ago. First I heard of that Limerick game now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    First I heard of that Limerick game now

Prob bcoz Kilkenny lads don't like speaking about hammerings...lol....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

mickaleen wrote: »
    Prob bcoz Kilkenny lads don't like speaking about hammerings...lol....

When you are reared on steak tis pretty hard to speak with authority on streaky bacon.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

lol...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Latest scores

Limerick 0-4 Clare 0-4
    KK 0-0 Wex 0-5
    Westmeath 2-4 Carlow 0-5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭randd1

HT

Kilkenny 0-03
    Wexford 0-06

Wexford in total control. Kilkenny look like they couldn't care less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Any explanation as to why it's so low scoring randd1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭randd1

Any explanation as to why it's so low scoring randd1?

Two poor teams. Terrible striking and first touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Clare 0-12 Limerick 0-10 HT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ref is making up for Sunday. He is keeping limerick in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Westmeath hammering us here, 7 points to 1 since ht, now 10 pts clear. seriously good Westmeath team.

Wex now 1-12 to 0-9 ahead of KK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,146 ✭✭✭893bet

How wexford doing?

All 3 games tonight pretty one sided in the end :(. Big home defeat for KK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Clare will win 3 in a row. Far better then a good Limerick side. Fair play if they do it. That's some feat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Excellent result for Wexford,in Nowlan pk as well ,good start to their defence
    Of the Leinster title and a sign of steady progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Limerick huffed and puffed but realistically are poor enough. Clare never looked in any danger of losing here and with their injured players to come back will take all the beating again this year.

Sad evening for Carlow hurling losing, 3-19 to 10 to Westmeath. Following on from a terrible senior year, we are in a bad way it seems. That is a quality Westmeath team tho, will stick a few quid on them to win Leinster. Hope Westmeath can keep most of that team together, will be a force at senior if they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

Stevecw wrote: »
    Sad evening for Carlow hurling losing, 3-19 to 10 to Westmeath. Following on from a terrible senior year, we are in a bad way it seems. That is a quality Westmeath team tho, will stick a few quid on them to win Leinster. Hope Westmeath can keep most of that team together, will be a force at senior if they do.

Did Mount Leinsters run do damage to your county team?

deisedude wrote: »
    Did Mount Leinsters run do damage to your county team?
    Well yes, it did in the end. Should have been a serious boost to us, but worked the other way completely. It's a long long story & not one for an u-21 thread.
    Tonight was just a bit of a shock that Westmeath are that far ahead of us at 21s level. They were quality, but a serious reality check as to our future too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

68deville wrote: »
    Excellent result for Wexford,in Nowlan pk as well ,good start to their defence
    Of the Leinster title and a sign of steady progress.

Kilkenny also out of the Minor. Something wrong at grassroots level??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Santa Cruz wrote: »

Kilkenny play Wexford in a couple of weeks in the Leinster minor semi final.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    bruschi wrote: »
    Kilkenny play Wexford in a couple of weeks in the Leinster minor semi final.

Correct, they got hockeyed at home by Dublin in the first round of Leinster Minor, but there is a back door at provincial level and they went on to beat Carlow in a qualifier

I heard nothing about the game against Limerick so I cant answer that. According to those in the know this is a decent Kilkenny squad but are very much in the unknown bracket. Tomorrow will tell a lot about them.

ye are in a bit of trouble at this stage. the stripeyment went into melt down when i pointed this out but you can`t have minor teams like ye had over the last few years and just expect that it can be turned around
    the senior team is in serious upheavel with a lot of changes on the cards but the players coming in are nothing like their predeccessors skill wise.
    the minor result ve dublin was a poor one though i expect they are better than that but this is a serious hiding

deadybai wrote: »
    Clare will win 3 in a row. Far better then a good Limerick side. Fair play if they do it. That's some feat
    cul beag wrote: »
    Limerick huffed and puffed but realistically are poor enough. Clare never looked in any danger of losing here and with their injured players to come back will take all the beating again this year.

No doubt about it they are class but i feel we haven't been too far away from them the last two years at u21 and have a decent enough crop this year. We have alot of the minor winners of 2012.

Id consider Dublin (who got to the minor final in 2011), Galway (who won the minor final in 2011) to be strong contenders and Wexford will perhaps grow in belief. They cant be discounted. Same as Waterford who were thereabouts back in 2011 also.

Alot of hurling to be done yet. No doubt Clare are a super team and are doing trojan work at underage but i think its still reasonably open at this stage. Limerick havent been good at u21 the last two years despite having a relatively strong team - a good few of whom won munster medals in 2011 and won schools medals with Ard Scoil Ris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

ye are in a bit of trouble at this stage. the stripeyment went into melt down when i pointed this out but you can`t have minor teams like ye had over the last few years and just expect that it can be turned around
    the senior team is in serious upheavel with a lot of changes on the cards but the players coming in are nothing like their predeccessors skill wise.
    the minor result ve dublin was a poor one though i expect they are better than that but this is a serious hiding

Im someone who would like to think is very awarre of the goings on at underage level in the county. What I can tell you is yes we cant keep producing what we had but if you saw the standard of that u21 team we had tonight you would see that at underage level there is something seriouly wrong fundamentally and something has got to change for us we have to act. We have taken our eye off the ball big time and are well behind everyone else. For a Kilkenny team to be beaten by that much in our own yard at that should not be happening. We werent even competitive. I know we have no god given right to be winning but jesus a county as proud as we are should at least not be getting put to the sword like that. Its embarassing

We have had bad underage teams in the past but none this bad. The lack of skill and tactical awareness on show from a kilkenny team tonight was so alarming I can only even name 2 decent performers in the whole team. This u21 was awful plain and simple.

Our Minors on the other hand are much better than what we saw against Dublin. Honestly I do not know what happened that day but this is a highly rated kilkenny minor team and I do expect them to come on strong again and be there or thereabouts at the business end of the championship but all that aside there is a problem for us at underage level, a huge problem at that. Our county board has got to stand up and be counted now and get the finger out

Advertisement