Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U-21 Hurling Championship 2014

• 02-06-2014 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't see a topic for it, always some very enjoyable hurling in this. Clare are strong, strong favourites for the All-Ireland title, and are going for 3-in-a-row.

They will open the defence of their crown against Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds on Wednesday night.

Munster Championship
    Odds
    Clare- 10/11
    Waterford- 11/4
    Tipperary- 5/1
    Limerick- 8/1
    Cork- 9/1

Fixtures
    Jun 04- Limerick vs Clare, Gaelic Grounds, 7.30pm
    Jul 16- Limerick/Clare vs Tipperary, Gaelic Grounds/Cusack Park, 7.30pm
    Jul 17- Waterford vs Cork, Walsh Park, 7.30pm
    Jul 30- Limerick/Clare/Tipp vs Waterford/Cork, 7.30pm

Leinster Championship
    Odds
    Kilkenny- 11/8
    Dublin- 11/8
    Wexford- 9/2
    Offaly- 8/1
    Westmeath- 33/1
    Carlow- 50/1

Fixtures
    May 28- Dublin 1-17 Laois 1-10, Parnell Park, 7.30pm
    Jun 04- Westmeath vs Carlow, Cusack Park, 7.30pm
    Jun 04- Kilkenny vs Wexford, Nowlan Park, 7.30pm
    Jun 25- Dublin vs Westmeath/Carlow
    Jun 25- Offaly vs Kilkenny/Wexford
    Jul 09- Dublin/Westmeath/Carlow vs Offaly/Kilkenny/Wexford

Ulster Championship
    Details on the Ulster Championship are sketchy on the website, I can see that Derry and Antrim are playing each other, but I don't know what the story is with Armagh and Down.

All-Ireland Series
    Odds
    Clare- 11/8
    Galway- 11/4
    Waterford- 5/1
    Tipperary- 9/1
    Kilkenny- 11/1
    Dublin- 12/1
    Limerick- 14/1
    Cork- 18/1
    Wexford- 28/1
    Antrim- 100/1
    Offaly- 100/1
    Westmeath- 500/1
    Carlow- 500/1

Fixtures
    Aug 23- Galway vs Leinster Champions
    Aug 23- Munster Champions vs Ulster Champions
    Sep 13- All-Ireland Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Here's a post I made in the Limerick thread about our U-21 for Clare on Wednesday.

And so we turn to Ciarán and the U-21s, who have to go up against a team going for a 3-in-a-row, and who are loaded with talent from back to front. Hidalgo in the Clare thread said that Tots is now out, as well as Shane O'Donnell, but they have loads of class forwards still available.

Should be a decent crowd there after the senior victory, and it will be interesting to see how Carey does... you'd imagine Clare will bring a big crowd too.

It's a tough draw, we're really up against it, and you'd imagine that we aren't very likely to win. From Carey's point-of-view, not only does he have to get a performance from the team, he needs to show he's astute tactically if he wants to get the senior job in future. We do have some very talented players, but some of them have under-performed at this level in the past.

And I realised that since the Leaving Cert starts Wednesday- it's highly unlikely that Ronan or Cian Lynch, or La Touche Cosgrave or Barry Nash will be playing. Which is a big blow.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I imagine our U-21 hurlers will be choosing from a group of players such as:

Goalkeepers: PJ Hall (Adare), Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen), Darragh Stapleton (Doon)

Full-Backs: Mark Carmody (Patrickswell), Niall Carmody (Patrickswell), James Carrig (Patrickswell), Michael Casey (Na Piarsaigh), Richie English (Doon), Shane Irwin (Bruff), Mark O'Callaghan (Knockaderry)

Half-Backs: Diarmuid Byrnes (Patrickswell), Evan Fitzgerald (Claghaun), Andrew Hannigan (St. Pat's), Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen), Barry Lynch (Feohanagh/Castlemahon), Ronan Lynch (Na Piarsaigh), Dan Morrissey (Ahane), Barry O'Connell (Kildimo/Pallaskenry)

Midfielders: Jamie Butler (Feohanagh/Castlemahon), Diarmuid Dee (Mungret), Darragh Donovan (Doon), Brian Finn (Bruff), Jody Hannon (Adare), William O'Donoghue (Na Piarsaigh), Adrian Roberts (Ballybrown)

Half-Forwards: David Condron (Granagh/Ballingarry), Dave Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh), Leigh Doolin (Ballybrown), Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh), Mike Fitzgibbon (Feohanagh/Castlemahon), Gearoid Hegarty (St. Pat's) Jack Kelliher (Patrickswell), Cian Lynch (Patrickswell), Barry Nash (South Liberties), Brendan O'Connor (Croagh/Kilfinny), Eoin O'Farrell (Croom), David Reidy (Dromin/Athlacca)

Full-Forwards: Jack Aherne (Killeedy), Dean Coleman (Doon), Evan Egan (Na Piasaigh), David Hall (Ballybrown), Barry Murphy (Doon), Kevin O'Brien (Patrickswell), Liam O'Sullivan (Knockaderry), Pat Ryan (Doon)

Those in bold have made the senior panel in the past.
    Those in bold & italics are still in the squad for the Championship.
    Those underlined were in the U-21 panel last year.
    Those in just italics are still minor and may not be included, I don't know what the policy will be.
    Now I'd probably go for:

1. PJ Hall
    2. Shane Irwin
    3. Richie English
    4. Mark Carmody
    5. Diarmuid Byrnes
    6. Barry Lynch
    7. Dan Morrissey
    8. Barry O'Connell
    9. Ronan Lynch
    10. Cian Lynch
    11. Shane Dowling
    12. David Reidy
    13. Kevin O'Brien
    14. Dave Dempsey/Dean Coleman
    15. Jack Aherne

16. Darragh Stapleton; 17. Michael Casey; 18. James Carrig; 19. Diarmuid Dee; 20. Jody Hannon; 21. Darragh Donovan; 22. Mike Fitzgibbon; 23. Brendan O'Connor; 24. Dave Dempsey/Dean Coleman

Obviously you have to take Ronan Lynch, Cian Lynch, David Reidy and Diarmuid Dee out of that panel... I haven't heard of any other players not being available, so I'm going with that.

So now I'd go for:
    Hall
    Irwin English Casey
    Lynch Byrnes Morrissey
    O'Donoghue O'Connell
    Dowling Dempsey Carmody
    O'Brien Coleman Aherne

Which on paper, looks a lot weaker. I've brought Casey, O'Donoghue and the other of Coleman/Dempsey into the team. That moves Carmody to wing-forward, but maybe he'd be better around the middle. We've got O'Connell, Lynch, Byrnes and Morrissey- all who's best position is in the half-back line, and are all are probably too good to leave off the team.

A bench of- Stapleton, Carrig, N. Carmody, Roberts, Hannon, Donovan, Fitzgibbon, O'Connor, O'Sullivan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I love this championship, last of the true knockout championships and has served up some brilliant games over the past few years. Have a major issue with Galway getting a a bye to the All Ireland semi final though and Antrim with an effective bye. Both should be in Leinster at all levels

KevIRL wrote: »
    I love this championship, last of the true knockout championships and has served up some brilliant games over the past few years. Have a major issue with Galway getting a a bye to the All Ireland semi final though and Antrim with an effective bye. Both should be in Leinster at all levels

Doesn't really benefit them as they move up to senior though, Galway have had some great U-21 teams and failed to bring the players through.

Doesn't really benefit them as they move up to senior though, Galway have had some great U-21 teams and failed to bring the players through.

True that although could be a result of mis management as well. Its very lopsided that Limerick would have beat Clare, Tipp and one of Cork/Waterford to make an All Ireland Semi final while Galway get there automatically and Antrim have to beat either Derry or Down.

Any word from Clare lads on a potential team for Wednesday? Obviously they have a good few senior players involved as well as players involved in last year's AI victory.

I heard that O'Donnell, Tots, O'Neill and Jarlath Colleran are all out?

Jack Browne, Seadna Morey, Tony Kelly, Colm Galvin, Peter Duggan, Aaron Cunningham, Jamie Shanahan all left over from last year's panel, in addition to some of those injured.

Looking at last year's panel, plus minors, plus news from club games, something like:
    Keith Hogan
    Seadna Morey Jack Browne Liam Corry
    Conor Cleary Jamie Shanahan Gudgie O'Connell
    Colm Galvin Tony Kelly
    Peter Duggan Bobby Duggan Shane Gleeson
    Shane McGrath Aaron Cunningham David Reidy

I know a few Clare lads who rate Bobby Duggan very very highly, as well as the likes of Shane Gleeson, Gudgie O'Connell and Shane McGrath.

But that's an intercounty midfield, and a forward line who would probably be able to compete at the highest level... is Jack Browne really a full-back?

Even with the injuries, that's serious talent and we'll be up against it- particularly missing the top minors & Reidy. Does seem a bit unfair that Limerick/Clare have to play without minors, yet the next fixtures aren't on for a month. I'd say we'll play high-tempo, physical, fairly direct hurling. We'll undoubtedly have a strong half-back line, and our middle third should be decent. Question marks over the forward line maybe, Dowling is a class act, but needs to find space. Lots of other skilful lads, but will they rack up a big score?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Didn't see a topic for it, always some very enjoyable hurling in this. Clare are strong, strong favourites for the All-Ireland title, and are going for 3-in-a-row.

They will open the defence of their crown against Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds on Wednesday night.

Munster Championship
    Odds
    Clare- 10/11
    Waterford- 11/4
    Tipperary- 5/1
    Limerick- 8/1
    Cork- 9/1

Fixtures
    Jun 04- Limerick vs Clare, Gaelic Grounds, 7.30pm
    Jul 16- Limerick/Clare vs Tipperary, Gaelic Grounds/Cusack Park, 7.30pm
    Jul 17- Waterford vs Cork, Walsh Park, 7.30pm
    Jul 30- Limerick/Clare/Tipp vs Waterford/Cork, 7.30pm

Leinster Championship
    Odds
    Kilkenny- 11/8
    Dublin- 11/8
    Wexford- 9/2
    Offaly- 8/1
    Westmeath- 33/1
    Carlow- 50/1

Fixtures
    May 28- Dublin 1-17 Laois 1-10, Parnell Park, 7.30pm
    Jun 04- Westmeath vs Carlow, Cusack Park, 7.30pm
    Jun 04- Kilkenny vs Wexford, Nowlan Park, 7.30pm
    Jun 25- Dublin vs Westmeath/Carlow
    Jun 25- Offaly vs Kilkenny/Wexford
    Jul 09- Dublin/Westmeath/Carlow vs Offaly/Kilkenny/Wexford

Ulster Championship
    Details on the Ulster Championship are sketchy on the website, I can see that Derry and Antrim are playing each other, but I don't know what the story is with Armagh and Down.

All-Ireland Series
    Odds
    Clare- 11/8
    Galway- 11/4
    Waterford- 5/1
    Tipperary- 9/1
    Kilkenny- 11/1
    Dublin- 12/1
    Limerick- 14/1
    Cork- 18/1
    Wexford- 28/1
    Antrim- 100/1
    Offaly- 100/1
    Westmeath- 500/1
    Carlow- 500/1

Fixtures
    Aug 23- Galway vs Leinster Champions
    Aug 23- Munster Champions vs Ulster Champions
    Sep 13- All-Ireland Final

Good post. Interesting to see Dublin are only 6th Favourites for the All Ireland considering they beat us well in Kilkenny at Minor Level. As far as were concerned here in Kilkenny, theres not been much shared as to the make up of the panel itself and anything i have heard has been from actual players themselves. One things for certain we will be missing our best player Kevin Kelly who broke his jaw in training the other night and also we will have a much changed team from what we had Minor. Anyhow heres a rough team of what I would expect us name here in Kilkenny

1. Aaron Duggan (Dicksboro)

2. Ger Teehan (Graigue Ballycallan)
    3. Tom Aylward (Mullinavat) CAPTAIN
    4. Brian Troy (Emeralds)/ Ciaran Wallace (Erins Own)

5. Enda Morrissey (Bennettsbridge)
    6. Robert Lennon (Bennettsbridge)
    7. Owen McGrath (John Lockes)

8. Jack Langton (Clara)
    9. Conor O Shea (Clara)

10. Conor Martin (Emeralds)
    11. Richie Reid (Ballyhale Shamrocks) would be Kevin Kelly Centre Forward but he is injured.
    12. David Bourke (O' Loughlin Gaels)

13. Shane Donnelly (St Lachtains)
    14. Thomas O Hanrahan (Thomastown)
    15. Mark Mansfield (Mullinavat)

That is only roughly the layout of the team, as I said I do not know the panel in full but most of the lads above will be starting or will be there or thereabouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

are any of the under 21 games televised? or is it just the finals?

deadybai wrote: »

Yeh most of them will be. Id imagine all the Munster games will be televised. The Leinster Semi Final between Dublin and either Westmeath or Carlow will also be televised along with the Leinster Final and then the knockout stages semi final, final etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Any word from Clare lads on a potential team for Wednesday? Obviously they have a good few senior players involved as well as players involved in last year's AI victory.

I heard that O'Donnell, Tots, O'Neill and Jarlath Colleran are all out?

Jack Browne, Seadna Morey, Tony Kelly, Colm Galvin, Peter Duggan, Aaron Cunningham, Jamie Shanahan all left over from last year's panel, in addition to some of those injured.

Looking at last year's panel, plus minors, plus news from club games, something like:
    Keith Hogan
    Seadna Morey Jack Browne Liam Corry
    Conor Cleary Jamie Shanahan Gudgie O'Connell
    Colm Galvin Tony Kelly
    Peter Duggan Bobby Duggan Shane Gleeson
    Shane McGrath Aaron Cunningham David Reidy

I know a few Clare lads who rate Bobby Duggan very very highly, as well as the likes of Shane Gleeson, Gudgie O'Connell and Shane McGrath.

But that's an intercounty midfield, and a forward line who would probably be able to compete at the highest level... is Jack Browne really a full-back?

Even with the injuries, that's serious talent and we'll be up against it- particularly missing the top minors & Reidy. Does seem a bit unfair that Limerick/Clare have to play without minors, yet the next fixtures aren't on for a month. I'd say we'll play high-tempo, physical, fairly direct hurling. We'll undoubtedly have a strong half-back line, and our middle third should be decent. Question marks over the forward line maybe, Dowling is a class act, but needs to find space. Lots of other skilful lads, but will they rack up a big score?

I wouldn't be worried about Jack Browne. He's slight in stature but well able to hold his own, he kept John Conlon anonymous in a club game a few weeks back at full back and he could well be a starting corner back for the seniors before the year is out. I watched him at a few games during the league and was impressed with him every time.

I wouldn't be worried about Jack Browne. He's slight in stature but well able to hold his own, he kept John Conlon anonymous in a club game a few weeks back at full back and he could well be a starting corner back for the seniors before the year is out. I watched him at a few games during the league and was impressed with him every time.

I don't know who we'll put in at full-forward, but if it is Dean Coleman, he's a small player anyway. Very, very quick though. Mightn't have stood out as much for the minors as the Lynches/Barry Nash but was superb in the Club Championship. Ran riot against the Adare full-back line in the county semi-final.

They might put Dowling inside at full, but I just feel that having lost Reidy and being without both Lynches & Nash, he might employ him out further.

Someone like Kevin O'Brien might also be put in to full, leaving Coleman or Kelliher or someone in the corner.

• Advertisement

deadybai wrote: »

TG4 provide excellent coverage of the championship

The Limerick-Clare match on Wednesday is on TG4 anyway.

Limerick U-21 named, not really as I predicted at all:

1. Darragh Stapleton (Doon)
    2. Mark Callaghan (Knockaderry)
    3. Richie English (Doon)
    4. Shane Irwin (Bruff)
    5. Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    6. Diarmuid Byrnes (Vice-Captain) (Patrickswell)
    7. Dan Morrissey (Ahane)
    8. William O'Donoghue (Na Piarsaigh)
    9. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell)
    10. Shane Dowling (Captain) (Na Piarsaigh)
    11. David Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    12. Mike Fitzgibbon (Feohanagh)
    13. Liam O Sullivan (Knockaderry)
    14. Kevin O Brien (Patrickswell)
    15. Pat Ryan (Doon)

I got 9/15 right... I mean, I would have picked Cian Lynch if I thought he would play. It's a bit mad really, I know he's related to Ciarán, but he's doing his Leaving Cert that morning, and the next morning- not sure it's fair to ask him to play. Definitely improves the team though, it's a class act.

Apparently Jack Aherne is injured, he'll be a loss for sure. Disappointed for him, I think he's a very talented player, and this was his real chance to lay down a marker on the intercounty scene.

No Barry Lynch and no Barry O'Connell is mad, both have been on the senior squad in the past. Barry O'Connell is a hugely talented player, and this will be his 4th season with the U-21s. He's had a few injury issues, but I'm fairly sure he's fit atm. Barry Lynch could have injury problems, again it would be strange not to play him, was excellent last year and was involved with the seniors based on excellent club form.

Carmody picked at wing-back, Callaghan given the nod over Casey in the corner, Pat Ryan favoured over his Doon colleague, Coleman, in the forwards. Senior footballer, Mike Fitzgibbon, is chosen at half-forward, superb ball-winner. Liam O'Sullivan in the corner, very good hurler, with Stapleton given the nod over Hall in goal- both decent keepers.

It's still a strong team, and they'll probably do very well for Carey- from 5-12 in particular looks very combative and all well able to hurl.

But at the same time- no Barry Lynch, no Barry O'Connell, no David Reidy, no Ronan Lynch, no Jack Aherne... I would say they are easily 5 of the best U-21s in the county.

And Clare have named their team too:

1. Keith Hogan (Clooney-Quin)
    2. Jarlath Colleran (St. Joseph's)
    3. Jack Browne (Ballyea)
    4. Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge)
    5. Jamie Shanahan (Sixmilebridge)
    6. Conor Cleary (Kilmaley)
    7. Gearoid O'Connell (Ballyea)
    8. Eoin Enright (Kilmaley)
    9. Colm Galvin (Clonlara)
    10. Shane Gleeson (Cratloe)
    11. Tony Kelly (Ballyea)
    12. Peter Duggan (Clooney-Quin)
    13. Aaron Cunningham (Wolfe Tones)
    14. David Reidy (Eire Óg)
    15. Bobby Duggan (Clarecastle)

Bench:
    16. Eibhear Quilligan (Feakle)
    17. Shane McGrath (Feakle)
    18. Shane O'Brien (Clonlara)
    19. Eoin Quirke (Whitegate)
    20. David Conroy (St. Joseph's)
    21. Brian Carey (Sixmilebridge)
    22. Shane Taylor (Broadford)
    23. Stephen Ward (Clarecastle)
    24. Niall O'Connor (Newmarket)

Maybe some Clare posters can give some more insight, but it looks a very strong team, for sure. Perhaps not quite as strong as last year, and losing Tots, O'Neill and O'Donnell is a blow. But still you've got senior intercounty players throughout the side- in Kelly and Galvin you have two of the best hurlers in the country. Peter Duggan is as good a ballwinner as there is, Cunningham, Bobby Duggan and David Reidy will cause havoc at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Offaly only appointed a manager last month.
    Players haven't received their gear yet and we only played two games.
    One of them was against the Offaly Seniors.

Loads of good hurlers at the grade but they being given no chance by a county board that are more interested in everything apart from improving the game at inter county level.

The same county board that refused to interview the only person who want the senior inter county job and appointed the man they had appointed to the minor job a week earlier.

Club are asking question but they being told that the information is not available. No matter how many time they ask it never available.

Kilkenny U21 team to face Wexford tomorrow night was named this morning:

2. Luke Hickey (James Stephens)
    4. Ger Teehan (Graigue Ballycallan)
    5. Conor O Shea (Clara)
    7. Enda Morrissey (Bennettsbridge)
    8. Mark Mansfield (Mullinavat)
    9. Owen McGrath (John Lockes)
    10. Richie Reid (Ballyhale Shamrocks)
    11. Hugh O Neill (Bennettsbridge)
    12. Aidan Cleere (Bennettsbridge)
    13. Thomas O Hanrahan (Thomastown)
    14. Johnny Hayes (Kilmacow)
    15. Conor Martin (Emeralds)

Subs:

16. PJ Trant (Graigue Ballycallan)
    17. Ciaran Wallace (Erins Own)
    18. Jack McDowell (John Lockes)
    19. Brian Troy (Emeralds)
    20. David Bourke (O Loughlin Gaels)
    21. Willie Brennan (Fenians)
    22. Chris Bolger (Clara)
    23. Ciaran Prendergast (Clara)
    24. Shane Donnelly (St Lachtains)

Extended Panel:

25. Ben Lahart (James Stephens)
    26. Eoin Moriarty (Emeralds)
    27. David Hennessy (James Stephens)
    28. Robert Moran (Erins Own)
    29. Paul Kelly (Cloneen)
    30. Kevin Kelly (St Patricks) Injured
    31. Simon Aylward (Mullinavat) Injured
    32. Jack Langton (Clara) Injured.

As ye can see, a very different panel to what we had at Minor Level. Not too far off my original prediction yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Looking forward to Limerick v Clare tomorrow night. It's like a conveyor of talent these days that Clare are bringing through at underage and are rightly strong favorites to go all the way. Even without O Connell and O Donnell I think they will be too strong for Limerick and add to that the experience most of these fellas will have from winning both u21 and senior titles,their confidence will be sky high. Saw Jack Browne during the league and is a very tidy defender,I don't see him struggling at fullback at all.

Offaly only appointed a manager last month.
    Players haven't received their gear yet and we only played two games.
    One of them was against the Offaly Seniors.

Loads of good hurlers at the grade but they being given no chance by a county board that are more interested in everything apart from improving the game at inter county level.

The same county board that refused to interview the only person who want the senior inter county job and appointed the man they had appointed to the minor job a week earlier.

Club are asking question but they being told that the information is not available. No matter how many time they ask it never available.
    My god I thought the county board in Waterford was bad but they're not even a patch on yet lot! Hard to be any other way but frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

cul beag wrote: »
    My god I thought the county board in Waterford was bad but they're not even a patch on yet lot! Hard to be any other way but frustrated.

That only the u21 grade. The minor from last year still haven't got all their gear.
    We started the year with 45 senior hurling. 25 have dropped off the panel. we had to call up extra hurling to fill the squad.

From the u21 team from last year that ran Kilkenny to 6 points. only 3 will be on the Offaly panel on Saturday.

Last year U-21 team was missing 6 of the best hurlers at the grade. they would play.

That only the u21 grade. The minor from last year still haven't got all their gear.
    We started the year with 45 senior hurling. 25 have dropped off the panel. we had to call up extra hurling to fill the squad.

From the u21 team from last year that ran Kilkenny to 6 points. only 3 will be on the Offaly panel on Saturday.

Last year U-21 team was missing 6 of the best hurlers at the grade. they would play.

Pity some journos don't expose this for ye? That's pre historic stuff! It would make for a brilliant article if it was done from start right up to the present situation. There are enough ex players with access to the print media that could show them up! Am I wrong in thinking daithi Regan came out about it?

• Advertisement

cul beag wrote: »
    Looking forward to Limerick v Clare tomorrow night. It's like a conveyor of talent these days that Clare are bringing through at underage and are rightly strong favorites to go all the way. Even without O Connell and O Donnell I think they will be too strong for Limerick and add to that the experience most of these fellas will have from winning both u21 and senior titles,their confidence will be sky high. Saw Jack Browne during the league and is a very tidy defender,I don't see him struggling at fullback at all.

Had a great team for the last few years at this level, but the minor team last year wasn't great (hammered by Waterford), and the one this year wouldn't be as good as previous ones. Still, once you've built the nucleus of a top team, you only need to be bringing through 2 or 3 really top players each year, rather than a consistently good team all over (obviously both would be nice).

Limerick have had a serious group of minors in the last couple of years, had a great crop of U-21s, who didn't perform as well as they could. This one mightn't be as good on paper, but I expect them to do better on the pitch. Pity the first game is so tough.

Had a great team for the last few years at this level, but the minor team last year wasn't great (hammered by Waterford), and the one this year wouldn't be as good as previous ones. Still, once you've built the nucleus of a top team, you only need to be bringing through 2 or 3 really top players each year, rather than a consistently good team all over (obviously both would be nice).

Limerick have had a serious group of minors in the last couple of years, had a great crop of U-21s, who didn't perform as well as they could. This one mightn't be as good on paper, but I expect them to do better on the pitch. Pity the first game is so tough.

5/2 is a nice price on Limerick all the same

KevIRL wrote: »
    5/2 is a nice price on Limerick all the same

Yeah... and +4 on the handicap.

And Shane Dowling first goalscorer & Limerick to win is 16/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

And Clare have named their team too:

1. Keith Hogan (Clooney-Quin)
    2. Jarlath Colleran (St. Joseph's)
    3. Jack Browne (Ballyea)
    4. Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge)
    5. Jamie Shanahan (Sixmilebridge)
    6. Conor Cleary (Kilmaley)
    7. Gearoid O'Connell (Ballyea)
    8. Eoin Enright (Kilmaley)
    9. Colm Galvin (Clonlara)
    10. Shane Gleeson (Cratloe)
    11. Tony Kelly (Ballyea)
    12. Peter Duggan (Clooney-Quin)
    13. Aaron Cunningham (Wolfe Tones)
    14. David Reidy (Eire Óg)
    15. Bobby Duggan (Clarecastle)

Bench:
    16. Eibhear Quilligan (Feakle)
    17. Shane McGrath (Feakle)
    18. Shane O'Brien (Clonlara)
    19. Eoin Quirke (Whitegate)
    20. David Conroy (St. Joseph's)
    21. Brian Carey (Sixmilebridge)
    22. Shane Taylor (Broadford)
    23. Stephen Ward (Clarecastle)
    24. Niall O'Connor (Newmarket)

Maybe some Clare posters can give some more insight, but it looks a very strong team, for sure. Perhaps not quite as strong as last year, and losing Tots, O'Neill and O'Donnell is a blow. But still you've got senior intercounty players throughout the side- in Kelly and Galvin you have two of the best hurlers in the country. Peter Duggan is as good a ballwinner as there is, Cunningham, Bobby Duggan and David Reidy will cause havoc at this level.

its definitely the tallest set of forwards we have picked in a long time at underage

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Kilkenny U21 team to face Wexford tomorrow night was named this morning:

2. Luke Hickey (James Stephens)
    4. Ger Teehan (Graigue Ballycallan)
    5. Conor O Shea (Clara)
    7. Enda Morrissey (Bennettsbridge)
    8. Mark Mansfield (Mullinavat)
    9. Owen McGrath (John Lockes)
    10. Richie Reid (Ballyhale Shamrocks)
    11. Hugh O Neill (Bennettsbridge)
    12. Aidan Cleere (Bennettsbridge)
    13. Thomas O Hanrahan (Thomastown)
    14. Johnny Hayes (Kilmacow)
    15. Conor Martin (Emeralds)

Subs:

16. PJ Trant (Graigue Ballycallan)
    17. Ciaran Wallace (Erins Own)
    18. Jack McDowell (John Lockes)
    19. Brian Troy (Emeralds)
    20. David Bourke (O Loughlin Gaels)
    21. Willie Brennan (Fenians)
    22. Chris Bolger (Clara)
    23. Ciaran Prendergast (Clara)
    24. Shane Donnelly (St Lachtains)

Extended Panel:

25. Ben Lahart (James Stephens)
    26. Eoin Moriarty (Emeralds)
    27. David Hennessy (James Stephens)
    28. Robert Moran (Erins Own)
    29. Paul Kelly (Cloneen)
    30. Kevin Kelly (St Patricks) Injured
    31. Simon Aylward (Mullinavat) Injured
    32. Jack Langton (Clara) Injured.

As ye can see, a very different panel to what we had at Minor Level. Not too far off my original prediction yesterday

any idea how many of those lads played against limerick the other night.
    they gave ye a fair hiding.
    I imagine wexford are favourites for this are they?

A very rambly preview of the Clare-Limerick game tomorrow. It's probably more Limerick-focused, but we know all about these Clare lads, half of them are senior...

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/can-limerick-stop-clare-u-21-behemoth/#

But been talking to a couple of people in and around the Limerick setup, and those who'd know people on it, and they are really fired up for this. They definitely think they can win. Going very very well in training, obviously they've lost a few key players to injury- Ronan Lynch, Barry O'Connell, Jack Aherne, David Reidy would walk onto the team tbqh, and Barry Lynch is definitely good enough too.

Clare are a serious outfit, but now is the time to stop them, before they hit full-flight... it won't be easy for them, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

any idea how many of those lads played against limerick the other night.
    they gave ye a fair hiding.
    I imagine wexford are favourites for this are they?

I heard nothing about the game against Limerick so I cant answer that. According to those in the know this is a decent Kilkenny squad but are very much in the unknown bracket. Tomorrow will tell a lot about them.

its definitely the tallest set of forwards we have picked in a long time at underage

How much do you think the loss of Tots will hurt you?

As a Limerickman, I dread thinking about marking players like him and Podge. Tony Kelly is obviously class too, but can be a bit hot-and-cold. If he's on his day, he'll destroy us, but he does have bad days.

I think you have a serious group of forwards, but we could manage them if we're on form. Glad Tots is missing from our pov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Just after realising I haven't a clue what the hell Tipp are like in Under 21 this year, new manager anyways so hopefully see an improvement, Hogan was dreadful.

• Advertisement

Ompala wrote: »
    Just after realising I haven't a clue what the hell Tipp are like in Under 21 this year, new manager anyways so hopefully see an improvement, Hogan was dreadful.

Ye still absolutely destroyed us. Thought ye were very impressive on the day.

We looked clueless under TJ... and he somehow got the senior job, and now he's in a Munster final.

Advertisement