Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News / media articles

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

CrackCrack30 Force Majeure, Parental, Carers and many other forms of leave are not counted as "sick leave". However, they do in many cases exacerbate the issue of shift dropping as Force Majeure is as short notice as sick leave and an increasing number of people want to take parental leave in single days.

Sick leave is counted in hours but taken as Calendar days. In other words, the employee get the benefit of taking one and a half days off sick but it is only counted as one day (because of 12 hour shift). However, up until overtime rates were changed, NAS had to spend the equivalent of 3 days pay (1.5 x 2 T overtime) to cover it if on overtime. In relation to the 10.7%, the 12 hours sick as 1 calendar day obviously pushes it up rather than a normal 5 day worker whose calendar day would be 7.8 hours (39 hours / 5 days).

I don't agree with your second point on ORVs. The business and operational case as well as road traffic and H&S considerations arising from Officers using their own cars to respond has demonstrated that it is cheaper to do it this way than pay Officers travelling expenses (like the rest of the public sector) to use their own cars. The HSE does not pay road tax as State vehicles are exempt, purchase prices are cheaper (they obviously don't pay showroom prices when buying in bulk) and pay less for fuel. They also dont have to pay car insurance as they are covered by the State Claims Agency in the event of a claim. There is then the intangible service benefit of having access to Officers whom are not paid to be available. You might call it a quid pro quo arrangement. My understanding is the the Revenue Commissioners were asked to review the BIK rules and are all kosher as well. Have a read of the link above or do an FOI.

Regarding the Prime Time programme, they forgot to leave out that the poor individual driving from Donegal to Dublin to work was assigned to that role and did not receive any extra money or expenses. He travels at least 7 hours round trip as well as a days work and contactable en route and at night for NO extra pay. I can see a big queue for that "junket"

In relation to 5m, not sure how you come up with that figure as many ORVs are second line vehicles, ranging from about 2002-2007 for the most part. More modern vehicles are in the minority. Some of the fleet is well worn and probably worth about 3,000. Others could be worth up to 15000 on a resale. Even if you sold them all and raised, say 1m (unlikely), it is a once off figure. You still end up spending more on travelling expenses (these guys travel a lot around their large geographical areas to do their jobs). So you save nothing, in fact you spend more and loose the operational capacity of Officers out of hours. Officers for the most part earn less than the people they manage (again do an FOI)

Once of savings if any from selling cars would be a once of saving. You need 10m EVERY year, to pay wages.

Secondly and last point from me - I do not want to paint every officer or car in the same light definitely there is a need for some individuals to have cars, but not all. if every regional head quarters had a compliment of 3 that would be 30-40. in the age of tele - confrencing ,email, Skype even.

Some management are great at what they do behind a desk, and should be left so to concentrate on same. Garda management do not bring home squads, Firemen do not bring home fire trucks to oppicite ends of the country & ..... Micheal O'Leary does not bring home a jet ( what a waste and innificent practice that would be in the private sector) .

Upper management should be ensuring that to the best of their ability the resources are in place to meet public demand..... they themselves should have no place in that equation.... its cringe worthy to here that the chief is on call....that to me says that his mind and focus is not where it should be.

All allowances such as on call ,shift and The Advanced paramedic allowance should be forfeited or at least reduced by a percentage when people decide to come off the road to a day office job..... this would leave an increased budget for those resources left on the frontline.

On your last point that I highlighted ......you can have a very simplistic view on something when you decide to.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭NonBeliever14

CrackCrack30 if you take hours off sick it should be 12 hours off your sick leave. That is tranparent, honest and fair. The taxpayer should not have to shoulder the additional cost of sick which has been one of the most justifiable public criticisms of the public sector.

Officers do not get double the allowance of sick leave. Prior to changes due on the 1st April next, staff got 3 months paid sick leave every year while Officers got 6 months full pay and six months half pay in a 4 year period. This is very simple information easily available. All sick leave benefit have effectively been halved

Audit of cars has already happened. Why do you think the HSE is comfortable defending their position on cars. Director General quoted the numbers on RTE, now a matter of public record

Cars are not worth 50000 and are not replaced every five years. Have you ever heard of straight line depreciation in accounting terms

Defibs (12 leads) are over 30k not 10k and the vast majority of cars don't have them They have a shockbox AED. Which Officers would carry in any event.
    I have already explained the running costs. A cost benefit analysis demonstrated it is cheaper that paying mileage expenses. Do you know what public sector rates are?

Did you miss the part where I said Officers do not get any payments whatsoever, including on call allowances (unlike their counterparts in Fire Service and AGS)

What is you point about replacement, do you understand what benefit extending the life of a vehicle that has fully depreciated means

More importantly, do you understand what the purpose of the vehicles are? Have you read the procedures on hse.ie?

please do get a bigger fagbox, happy to keep answering questions, even if the information is freely available

crackCrack30, given some the points you make, it is increasing clear you know very little about a service you are offering comment on. Officers do actually forfeit allowances, on call, shift, etc., etc. Yo continue to offer disparaging views on NAS but actually could have found out the answers first. The only exception is the AP allowance who continues to apply to an Officer whom continues to practice as an Advanced Paramedic.

Fire Services RSFOs can often have access to service vehicles while on call and actually do receive an on call allowance.

GCU, if you were re-assigned from Donegal to work in Dublin everyday, what would your expectations be?

Please re-read my last 3-4 posts....
    The bulk of what I have suggested is an independent review or audit on the efficiency and use of some the cars that are used by the Ambulance service.

I don't think all laundry should be washed in public. but It took the brave actions of a lowly member of control to highlight that there are grave short comings in the ambulance service provided on a daily basis which have concequences for patients and fall well bell below international standards as has been highlighted very publicly on primetime.

The dogs in the street know that we are under resourced

I'm not going to go over old ground here ..........if officers do not get an on call allowance why/should/do they take home the cars? as far as I'm concerned it is a benefit in kind to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

Good Question..
    & im not going to attempt to answer it because obviously it is a massive figure and could not be 'fixed or solved' here without considering full facts figures and individual cases, what I can do is provide some possible reasons that could be wrong , rejected or right. I don't work in HR or mgt.

Long term sick....... as in out for months , maternity, back injuries cancer ect as in any other job.

The environment (health)...... We are exposed to sick people and are going to be the first catch anything going.

Method of recording sick leave....... out sick tonight & off shift for 3 nights and then back in is recorded as 4 nights sick....!? madness.

Individual cases......... I believe in one region 3 people were responsible for something like 50% of the sick leave for whatever reason.

Stress ...... take for instance the workload attributed to the six people or three crews over the few nights reorded in Co Wexford... or limerick or Roscommon, limerick ect ......you can keep that up for a while but eventually something has to give. Nothing extra is ever provided not even on busy bank holiday Weekends.

Burnout ......same thing but with the trauma of RTC,s, cardiac arrests ,nuciance calls, rapes , assaults , thrown in on top of time measurement , delays ect, ect.. somethings going to give....& may contribute to sick leave....

and btw you are then expected to do this for the NAS into your late 60's.

Hey CrackCrack - you're taking all the abuse/questions and keeping the cool. Well done.

To rebut your points:
    Long Term Sick: yes I agree but no different than any other job.

The Environment: I might have to challenge you there. You're as exposed as Gardai or Fire Brigade when treating these patients. While you have a range of patients, the gen. pop. that you meet are not more or less infectious than a person you meet in the shop. I can't see how you infection rates would be higher than a nurse or doctor treating sick patients for the entire working day every day. And again, they're sick rate is 3.5%.

Method of Recording: That is interesting. Doesn't seem to make sense to me. Is there a reason for that. Surely, you are identified as being on sick leave for the rostered time and not your off-time. Again, surely management would 'fix' this issue if it meant making the absenteeism rates look smaller. More too it than what you say, I suggest.

Individual Cases: again, I agree with you. This is normal and no difference than any other staff member in the hospital system. Management have a number of tools available to them to address long term sick leave.

Stress: again, I don't doubt it. But, with respect, every job has its stresses. Yes, paramedics see serious stuff. But so do nurses staff, medics and surgeons. In fact, medical/surgical absenteeism rates are near 0.5%!!!...continually... check out health stat for those stats. These staff have continually high stress levels (as do people in finance jobs etc etc) - a surgeon naturally has patients lives in their hands every day. Nursing staff in ICU/ED is a particularly stressful job. As I say, paramedics see serious stuff but its not all serious ...falls, dickie ticker, a bit of COPD etc. Its not all cutting people out of cars - and I mean that with respect.

I think I've answered burnout.

My question is: if paramedics are highlighting how the lack of resources are directly contributing to deaths - why do they not realise that they are the important resource and that by them not showing up to work are letting their colleagues down and their patients and are in fact contributing directly to deaths/poor outcomes of patients.

Thanks for reviewing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

GCU, if you were re-assigned from Donegal to work in Dublin everyday, what would your expectations be?
    My expectation would be that I'd have to move to Dublin. I'd regard the idea that I'd have a 250 km journey to work as obviously impossible.

Incidently, you seem a little confused about public service mileage. No-one gets paid mileage to commute to their assigned workplace or "headquarters". It's only paid to people who are on field duties, or who need to travel on business from their workplace to somewhere else.

karlitob wrote: »
    Hey CrackCrack - you're taking all the abuse/questions and keeping the cool. Well done.

To rebut your points:

The Environment: I might have to challenge you there. You're as exposed as Gardai or Fire Brigade when treating these patients. While you have a range of patients, the gen. pop. that you meet are not more or less infectious than a person you meet in the shop. I can't see how you infection rates would be higher than a nurse or doctor treating sick patients for the entire working day every day. And again, they're sick rate is 3.5%.

Method of Recording: That is interesting. Doesn't seem to make sense to me. Is there a reason for that. Surely, you are identified as being on sick leave for the rostered time and not your off-time. Again, surely management would 'fix' this issue if it meant making the absenteeism rates look smaller. More too it than what you say, I suggest.

Individual Cases: again, I agree with you. This is normal and no difference than any other staff member in the hospital system. Management have a number of tools available to them to address long term sick leave.

Stress: again, I don't doubt it. But, with respect, every job has its stresses. Yes, paramedics see serious stuff. But so do nurses staff, medics and surgeons. In fact, medical/surgical absenteeism rates are near 0.5%!!!...continually... check out health stat for those stats. These staff have continually high stress levels (as do people in finance jobs etc etc) - a surgeon naturally has patients lives in their hands every day. Nursing staff in ICU/ED is a particularly stressful job. As I say, paramedics see serious stuff but its not all serious ...falls, dickie ticker, a bit of COPD etc. Its not all cutting people out of cars - and I mean that with respect.

I think I've answered burnout.

My question is: if paramedics are highlighting how the lack of resources are directly contributing to deaths - why do they not realise that they are the important resource and that by them not showing up to work are letting their colleagues down and their patients and are in fact contributing directly to deaths/poor outcomes of patients.

Thanks for reviewing.

Hi,

If you re read that post fully from the top.. I wasn't trying to defend the sick rate but rather try and shine some light on possibilities for the high figure

True on your first point but the sick tend to gather in A&E rather than shops garda stations or fire stations.. But I agree to a point.. Exposure and nights, fast food and poor manual handling all lend themselves to a unhealthy life style though..

Recording your off shift time as sick is stupid.

Abuse of the sick pay should be addressed and corrected asap....all up to and including losing benefits....yes all for that.

Deffo its not all guts and gore and I don't like always presenting it as such but a high number of calls for frontline ambulances are deemed life threatening and are responded to as such until managed...

The difference between Paras and in house hospital doctors & staff is that the genuine patients that require ambulatory care are provided packaged into A&E if you like, no disrespect to any other profession..
    When I say packaged I don't mean always better , fixed or even diagnosed but there has a structured prossess started that usually encompasses a history of recent events & probable cause of illness, initial steps for stabilization are in place ,dangerous vitals are highlighted & the madness of the House, pub, disco , pitch, squat or road are left out side the door of A&E .

Paramedics go into action in anger several times a day and night sometimes not knowing what they are going to meet or see not even a code and sometimes with poor directions, ....... Our defence force /army may see action once or twice in their career .....It sounds dramatic I know but its true..... yes with experience and years the adrenaline and apprehension dosen't set in as quick but every serious call that dosen't turn out as well or fluid as you would like leaves a little scar or memory...
    cant think of that term ..is it battle fatigue?

Your question is a good point also and those that abuse the system should be held to account but I cant answer for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

My expectation would be that I'd have to move to Dublin. I'd regard the idea that I'd have a 250 km journey to work as obviously impossible.

Incidently, you seem a little confused about public service mileage. No-one gets paid mileage to commute to their assigned workplace or "headquarters". It's only paid to people who are on field duties, or who need to travel on business from their workplace to somewhere else.

That would be my thinking too tbh - way I look at it is that if you live in Donegal (nothing at all wrong with this) but the office is in Dublin - you've got the option of doing the commute from Donegal to Dublin each day - or moving to Dublin.

Normally its not the employers concern which option you go for - all they would care about - is that you come in and do the job your paid to do.

HOWEVER....

If its a case that NAS expect your man to commute up and down to Donegal each day - because they want him on call when off duty - for calls in Donegal - then I personally think THAT would be completely unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

karlitob wrote: »

To rebut your points:

Thanks for reviewing.

Gotta remember paramedics spend maybe 30 minutes (shorter/longer in some cases) in a confined space with a patient, much more scope for getting sick also compared to a hospital environment i think.

Biggest problem with sick leave is that if one person calls in sick, in some stations and areas and depending on the crew left it may aswell be two people calling in sick. Sure sometimes one person can man an RRV but not always feasible and still an ambulance down

As I outlined at the beginning of this thread, the Prime Time programme was built around superficial research of published media reports with the usual exploitation of grieving families to make "good TV" about another "public sector scandal".

No one on this thread has provided any commentary on the 99.9% of NAS calls that have not been reported about in the media.

The Director General of the HSE, alluded to the fact that their are internal processes (published on the HSE intranet). Anyone with concerns within the HSE can use this process. Industrial relations has taken a new turn with staff frustrated with their unions now resorting to "running to the media" rather than using established best practice processes.

The credibility of any whistle blower is subject to a single test, are their actions solely in the interest of the public good. If they have any personal axe to grind, grievance to pursue, gripe with management, etc., then the integrity of their actions must be subject to question. Most jurisdictions take the view that vexatious reporting undermines the validity of any whistleblower.

The PT programme had 3 whistleblowers, 2 former NAS, 1 of whom has sued his employer, 1 of whom tried everything to get out of the job and 1 whom is on sick leave (genuinely sick) but a big reputation of grievances. It must be asked whether or not the relationship between these individuals and NASRA is relevant. Did RTE Prime Time approach NASRA looking for whistleblowers? Is there any connectivity between the locations filmed, the locations where NASRA leaders work and areas where NASRA have complained about?

Half a story is no story. Another poor performance by PT. Not the first time in recent times either.

• Advertisement

CGU if you believe you have grounds for "reasonable suspicion" about BIK liabilities, the Revenue Commissioners will be happy to receive your allegations.

CGU if you believe you have grounds for "reasonable suspicion" about BIK liabilities, the Revenue Commissioners will be happy to receive your allegations.
    Why, does no-one in there watch television?

Incidently, can I remind you that I was actually correcting your incorrect understanding both of BIK and the purpose of public service travel expenses.

On another point, the programme seemed to suggest that the managers allocated these cars did handle a handful of calls over the period of a few months. Do trained paramedics have to attend at any fixed number of calls to be deemed to have retained their skill levels?

Or does in mean, in a handful of cases, the call might be answered by a manager who hasn't delivered emergency care on a daily basis for some time?

Update on one of the Whistleblowers, according to his twitter and Facebook accounts, he appears to be complementing a Private Ambulance Operator who is pledging support to the save DFB campaign. Is all of this publicity a rouse to lobby for privatisation? The whistleblower is reported to have an interest in a business providing event medics, among other things. The Private Ambulance Operator has a history of suing the State for allowing DFB run services without going to tender as well as a failed case reported in the Sunday Independent today where they also appear to call for privatisation of the NAS Intermediate Care Service. Is this something Prime Time should investigate? Has RTE's Investigation Unit been used by possible vested interests to deliberately undermine public confidence with a view to opening the door to privatisation of the ambulance service. Have any of the other whistleblowers worked for either company. Will journalists investigate these matters now to rule out the possibility of any substance in these convenient sequence of coincidental events?

GCU, third time to post the link to the relevant documentation from the hse website. It should answer your questions about what Officers are supposed to use ORVs for.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/nas/educationcompetencyassurance/rptspoliciesandprocedures/

I am familiar with BIK rules and am also aware of regulations regarding public sector mileage rates. All public sector employees are entitled to claim mileage expenses when away from their normal work location. NAS Officers for the most part, have significant geographical responsibilities and undertake a lot of travel as part of their roles. Have you every wondered, or better still asked, if the Officer in Donegal is based in Donegal or Dublin or are you just assuming what you say on TV is a full and accurate account of the situation, i.e. a balanced report?

As a concerned citizen regarding waste of public monies, are you really going to hope Revenue Commissioners watched the tele rather than report your concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

GCU, third time to post the link to the relevant documentation from the hse website. It should answer your questions about what Officers are supposed to use ORVs for.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/nas/educationcompetencyassurance/rptspoliciesandprocedures/

I am familiar with BIK rules and am also aware of regulations regarding public sector mileage rates. All public sector employees are entitled to claim mileage expenses when away from their normal work location. NAS Officers for the most part, have significant geographical responsibilities and undertake a lot of travel as part of their roles. Have you every wondered, or better still asked, if the Officer in Donegal is based in Donegal or Dublin or are you just assuming what you say on TV is a full and accurate account of the situation, i.e. a balanced report?

As a concerned citizen regarding waste of public monies, are you really going to hope Revenue Commissioners watched the tele rather than report your concerns?

Id normally have expected that someone who has their office and normal place of work/operations in Dublin - would be classed as been based there.

Of course its possible the chap is based in Donegal - but it really doesn't make sense for this to be the case of the normal place of work is in Dublin - and the employer has premises in Dublin.

If the guy actually has to go back to Donegal to provide cover - doesn't this reinforce the idea that the service NEEDS more resources

Tbh - looking back - I do think that there are gaps in the info in the Prime Time programme.

It seemed to me that they spend 10 days or more in both Roscommon and Wexford (I got the impression that it was 10/15 days etc each in the two locations but not sure).

But it seemed to me - that they presented the data/footage for one shift at each location.

Id love to have known what went on for the other days that they didn't mention.

Because they didn't mention them at all - no call volumes, no percentages of calls that met targets on the other days - im left wondering as a viewer if those days were days when the performance of the Ambulance service didn't exactly suit what prime time wanted to show viewers.

The other thing im wondering - is okay - right - they picked locations where Ambulances would have more difficulty/less of a chance of meeting the targets.

What id like to have seen is for them to have a look at Ambulances in places like Cork City where youd expect more success in achieving targets.

Would have been nice if we could see Ambulances meeting the targets - and you could then look at WHY the Ambulances met the targets in some cases.

Could have been learning there - and a more progressive debate.

Snowing us with stuff isn't a replacement for making your point. The point is whether expensive service-related vehicles have been allocated to managers to undertake long-distance commutes, notionally on the basis of them being on call, in a context where they are rarely actually used for calls.
    I'm not making any assumptions about the programme; I'm just looking for substantial responses to the issues raised. For instance, the HSE have published some comment to the effect that the vehicles in question respond to about half-a-dozen calls a day. How many vehicles? Good use of resources? I suspect the questions will persist until substantial answers are given.

Can I point out that I'm making absolutely no assumptions about whether managers have been given cars to commute in. You actually stated that someone had been "re-assigned" from Donegal to Dublin. If someone is assigned to a particular location, then they aren't due travel expenses to get there.

The point at issue is clear enough. I'm not sure that the HSE have yet robustly responded to this point.
    Yes, I'm happy enough to believe that at least one of the thousands of staff working for the Revenue will have seen the programme. I'd also expect they'll have a press office that will pick up relevant media reports like this one:
    http://www.herald.ie/news/hse-urged-to-reveal-if-staff-claim-mileage-30137181.html

<...>"I want to know if staff using these vehicles are claiming mileage," said John Kidd, chairman of the Irish Fire and Emergency Service Association.
    "It's totally wrong that these vehicles which cost millions to the taxpayer are being used in this way while the ambulance fleet is breaking down."

REVENUE
    The HSE could not answer the question on whether mileage was being claimed for the use of rapid response vehicles, but said during the period January to March 2014 the vehicles were used in 629 emergency call-outs, 252 of which were outside working hours.

Mr Kidd also said the national ambulance service should be reported to the Revenue to see if benefit-in-kind should be paid on the rapid response vehicles if HSE staff are using them as personal transport.<...>

GCU, I am not snowing you with stuff. I have provided a link to a short document that details what ORVs are used for, and how authorisation is governed. Anyone seeking to debate this issue, without reviewing this document, is doing so from a ill informed or mis informed perspective.

Such a public response might be predictable given the anti HSE spin regurgitated by the media on a daily basis. However, anyone working for NAS should now better, unless their head is stuck in the sand.

If you do not know or accept what the ORVs are used for or attempt to understand the intangible operational risk mitigation benefits to the service, you are unlikely to receive substantial responses.

In relation to Mr. Kidd, frankly, because this individual suggests some wrong doing and the Herald blindly, without attempting any verification publishes such allegations, does not for a momnet make it true. Blatant politicisation by someone running for public office. If either he or the Hearld really wanted an answer, rather than point scoring through the media, they could submit an FOI. However, not unlike a TD with a PQ, there is no political or HSE bashing value in asking a straight question through a statutory mechanism. I hope the HSE does not stoop to the level of responding to such a stupid question that is effectively, collective defamation against a group of public sector employees whom are fully compliant with public pay policy.

GCU, I am not snowing you with stuff. I have provided a link to a short document that details what ORVs are used for, and how authorisation is governed. Anyone seeking to debate this issue, without reviewing this document, is doing so from a ill informed or mis informed perspective.
    If you click on the link, what you actually see is a list of eleven links, each of which opens a page with further links.

You may want us to look at this document:
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/nas/educationcompetencyassurance/rptspoliciesandprocedures/use_of_official_vehicles.pdf

And this document
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/nas/educationcompetencyassurance/rptspoliciesandprocedures/Fuel_Cards.pdf

But I'm not sure - because, whether intentionally or not, the link you provided is to a raft of policy documents.

Now, all those documents tell me is that someone taking a vehicle for the night must be on call, and anyone issued with a fuel card can only use it to put fuel in the NAS vehicle that they're using. You'll appreciate, the assertion made in the programme is that NAS have effectively issued vehicles as company cars, enabling some staff to make lengthy commutes to work. The programme asserted that, despite being on call, these staff were rarely given tasks.
    If you do not know or accept what the ORVs are used for or attempt to understand the intangible operational risk mitigation benefits to the service, you are unlikely to receive substantial responses.
    What I understand is that the HSE state that vehicles in this category answered about 600 calls so far this year, 250 of which were out-of-hours. That's around 6 or 7 calls a day, two to three of which were out-of-hours. There seem to be about 100 vehicles in this group - about 50 ORVs and 50 RRVs. This suggests that, on any given night, 97% of them are not called out.

Maybe there is some operational benefit to that. But it seems like quite an expensive way to provide a marginal level of contingency to a service that receives a couple of thousand calls a day.
    In relation to Mr. Kidd, frankly, because this individual suggests some wrong doing and the Herald blindly, without attempting any verification publishes such allegations, does not for a momnet make it true.
    Sure, no-one is saying whether its true or not. I'm just confident that an organisation as well-resourced as the Revenue Commissioners won't have missed the story. You'll recall, that was the point at issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

timmywex wrote: »
    Gotta remember paramedics spend maybe 30 minutes (shorter/longer in some cases) in a confined space with a patient, much more scope for getting sick also compared to a hospital environment i think.

Biggest problem with sick leave is that if one person calls in sick, in some stations and areas and depending on the crew left it may aswell be two people calling in sick. Sure sometimes one person can man an RRV but not always feasible and still an ambulance down

Hi
    Thanks for that. I don't agree with your first point I'm afraid. While it may be true that sometimes paramedics may sometimes be in a confined space with some patients who may have an infections. Its not true to say that a nurse or doctor dealing with a ward of 30-35 patients who are all sick and in very regular close contact that would amount to much longer than 30 minutes with a patient in an ambulance. And as I say, there may be some truth in your point, it doesn't account for a medical absenteeism rate of 0.5% and a paramedic rate of 10.75%.

I think this thread has ran its course , weather the whole primetime debate /investigation is a lesson learned ,dismissed or forgotten who knows ...but nobody can ever say that the concerns of some were not highlighted in a very public way, and I'd be surprised if this wasn't referred to in years to come either as a line in the sand or a comparison.. ..

For myself the elephant in the room at the moment is the thought or impression some have that the first response.... be it a responder, a fire appliance, a car or a GP will ever quell the high profile and traumatic cases where a person is in need of Transport / stretcher ambulance for urgent removal to definitive care which are our Hospitals/A&E departments.

In several of the cases outlined on the programme and in the media over the past year or so there was a first responder on scene but it didn't put a lid on the justified concerns raised about a delay in availability of transport vehicles.......without naming/singling individual cases directly

Donegal - GP's and nurse on scene I believe.
    Mayo - Fire service & GP'S on scene.
    Dublin /Tallagh - Fire appliance on scene.

• Advertisement

Advertisement