Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Managing Customers WordPress sites

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks Talisman,

when a client requests their own server do you suggest a particular flavour of linux/control panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Talisman

I used to use CentOS as it was RedHat without the license fee but the ancient versions of software in the repositories made it a real effort to maintain servers. I switched to Ubuntu as a result and have a shortlist of repositories for getting the latest stable versions of PHP, Nginx etc. installed.

I haven't ever had to give anybody a proper control panel - phpMyAdmin and FTP access have sufficed.

I used a few control panels over the years but they were all Apache focused at the time. I'm sure there probably are a few to manage Nginx now but I haven't had the need to find one - ssh with rsa authentication is great. For managing a single server I found Webmin a great interface, Munin is used for monitoring.

I had looked at Webmin but it was missing a couple of things from my wish list. The biggest being a reasonable API with a couple of specific features. The UI also looks incredible dated but that wouldn't have mattered so much if the API had been upto the job.

Munin looks like it could be very useful though, might have a go with that over the weekend.

I should add, I didn't find anything particularly wrong with Webmin, it just didn't have a couple of the specific features I was looking for,

What are the features you need?

Runs on Ubuntu
    JSON / XML API
    Apache
    MySQL
    Nginx
    Multiple pre-defined hosting configs
    Multiple pre-defined default websites
    Modern (responsive) UI.
    Customisable UI
    Option to script common build processes
    Quick install
    Active support/development
    Supports multiple remote servers
    Reasonably priced

I'm sure there's more I missed, that's just off the top of my head. If there's a control panel out there today that even comes close, I've probably tried it :)

• Advertisement

Have you considered using Puppet? Bit of a learning curve but that's DevOps for you.

Talisman wrote: »
    Have you considered using Puppet? Bit of a learning curve but that's DevOps for you.

Haven't really given it more than a quick look but the per node pricing of the Enterprise solution would blow my cost model out of the water.

Forgot to add to my list:
    End-user self provisioning/management.
    Billing/payment processing.

Are you looking to setup an end to end hosting service?

Almost the opposite, I'm trying to completely abstract all of the hosting parts out completely.

Advertisement