Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nissan Primastar / Renault Trafic / Opel Vivaro Starter Removal

• 13-07-2013 9:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi, I need advice on removing the starter motor from my Nisan Primastar. The starter is at the back of the engine, not the front as in most vans. Its in a real tight spot. Is there an easy way of removing it without having to drop out the entire engine?

If anybody is familiar with removal of starter motor from Nissan Primastar/Renault Trafic or Opel Vivaro, could you please respond to this thread. (3 of these van types are more or less the same)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The Ice Man

The only way to remove the starter motor from the 1.9 dci Nissan primastar / trafic is to remove the engine as it is under the turbo . I have had to do this several times and I have to say its hard to believe that this vehicle was designed by people of a higher intelligence than myself ??? So if your starter gives up on you and you are going to do the job yourself put the kettle on first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

I had to remove and refit the starters in 2 Laguna 1.9 dsls - same engine and gearbox as Trafic etc .
    Managed both (with engine in place ) but what a pig of a job - access very poor tp put it mildly .
    Refitting the small wire on the solenoid was particularly bad due to the fact you are operating on 'feel' alone.
    Also changed an engine in a Trafic - I think I removed the front part of the exhaust from the turbo to improve access to the starter. You need to get it over a pit or on a lift .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

It can be done without removing engine. Hardship. Had to remove catalytic converter for better access. One of the bolts stayed behind. A pit would be a great advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TommyTheGun

Hi Beanie,

I am going at the starting motor, having huge issue going in blind with the second bolt.

The first is a 13, do you know if the second is the same?

Thanks
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

As far as i remember its the same. I think access was better from above. Putting it back on you will need assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

sorry for butting in on thread but while on subject of vivaro my son's vivaro jumped timing, i suppose dropping engine and replacing timing belt is best option, thanks for info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

What happened that you think it jumped timing - did belt come loose for some reason ?
    If it jumped timing you may have some bent valves .
    You don't have to drop engine to renew timing belt .
    If timing has jumped you need to look up how to reset it correctly- there are some diagrams on the web or you could ask someone for a look at Autodata or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

dooroy wrote: »
    What happened that you think it jumped timing - did belt come loose for some reason ?
    If it jumped timing you may have some bent valves .
    You don't have to drop engine to renew timing belt .
    If timing has jumped you need to look up how to reset it correctly- there are some diagrams on the web or you could ask someone for a look at Autodata or similar.

thanks for advice , just guesswork of sons friend who is a good reliable mechanic , think timing belt was 1000km from replacement, now revised to crankshaft bearing gone , with recommendation to purchase engine from breakers rather than recondition old one which was not burning oil , was getting hard to start alright same as if heater plugs gone,wish i got hands on it first to strip it down. but other work is more important at minute

Advertisement