Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sierra (Installers)

• 01-02-2006 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of this company?
    they were supposed to install Sky + for me today but came out yesterday and now it'll be the 13th of February before they can come out.
    Extremely pisssed off!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

dubmick wrote:
    Anyone know of this company?
    they were supposed to install Sky + for me today but came out yesterday and now it'll be the 13th of February before they can come out.
    Extremely pisssed off!

This company name has popped up a lot lately, letting down a lot of people
    including myself. Would not recommend them to anyone.:mad: Pity sky still use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

the problems with Sierra are well documented on these boards ... you can't call them, even sky can't contact them.

Unfortunaltly sky will not even prioritise your call if they don't show, it's back to the back of the queue !!

They are quite a large company but they obviously outsource the Sky installs, their website http://www.sierra.ie/has contact emails of senior people, I emailed them and did get a response, not a very good one but a responce none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They installed our Sky, thankfully without incident. They also made most of the NTL visits when we had regular NTL problems. In fact, I'm pretty sure the guy who installed Sky is the same guy who made the second last NTL visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,530 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The only company I've ever seen do diagonal cable runs (!) and no drip loop (!!!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

MYOB wrote:
    and no drip loop (!!!!).

Now thats bad workmanship, everybody who would do a cable run knows that you have to do a drip loop.

Ive even seen a case in a new house in wicklow where it was clipped so far appart that the weight of the cable made it sag, it looks so bad and to add insult to injury they used like a no.12 bit through the wall and didnt leave a drip loop or fill it with silicone, resulting in part of the wall near the skirting so damp that it caused the socket to trip, hense we were called.

Some cowboys out there i tell ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Sparky-s wrote:

Some cowboys out there i tell ya.

A Cowboy would never do that:)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote:
    A Cowboy would never do that:)

He would do worse i suppose, no dish maybe or dodgy box :D

Sparky-s wrote:
    He would do worse i suppose, no dish maybe or dodgy box :D

You took me up wrong, lots of my friends are Cowboys are they are the most honest hard working and dilligent people I know. I dont know how/why it became a derogatory term here in Ireland

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Kahless wrote:
    They installed our Sky, thankfully without incident. They also made most of the NTL visits when we had regular NTL problems. In fact, I'm pretty sure the guy who installed Sky is the same guy who made the second last NTL visit.

Sure that would be Mick, (a real cowboy only kidding). He was employed by a company from carlow who has the mmds contract from ntl, but he has since left them and now works for seirra, so thats why he visited you twice. Btw he is from Slieverue.

Tony wrote:
    You took me up wrong, lots of my friends are Cowboys are they are the most honest hard working and dilligent people I know.

i better re phrase it so, damn eh...robbers :D
    Tony wrote:
    I dont know how/why it became a derogatory term here in Ireland

I dont know either tbh, when i first heard it many years ago i assumed a cowboy was somebody who rode on a horse and gathered cows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

I have had 9 job numbers and have received over 25 'Welcome to Sky' letters from Sky trying to get an engineer to come around and install things.

Its either no Sky Card or engineer talking out of their arses.

I was told by Sierra engineer that I couldn't have a phone line install with broadband (I later realised he thought it was ISDN).

One engineer said he was at the house but no one answered. I had taken yet another day off to be around for them, sat at the window waitinbg for them to come.

I was told that the Sky dish would have to go on the neighbours chimney. I sent him away. Later turned out he was talking rubbish.

Each time I was put at the back of the waiting list, typically 2 weeks wait

Eventually all the planets were aligned, received my Sky card, got competent engineer (who installed it on side of house), arrived when he said he would, attached everything up nicely. Tried to activate card and it turns out that they have cancelled my card. They have sent a new card - but still waiting.

Its only been 11 weeks since I ordered it and still haven't received what I ordered !!!

Chorus were never this bad..................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Aquos76 wrote:
    Sure that would be Mick, (a real cowboy only kidding). He was employed by a company from carlow who has the mmds contract from ntl, but he has since left them and now works for seirra, so thats why he visited you twice. Btw he is from Slieverue.

Mick? who is Mick? I dont know any Mick up there :o

englander wrote:
    I have had 9 job numbers and have received over 25 'Welcome to Sky' letters from Sky trying to get an engineer to come around and install things.

Its either no Sky Card or engineer talking out of their arses.

I was told by Sierra engineer that I couldn't have a phone line install with broadband (I later realised he thought it was ISDN).

One engineer said he was at the house but no one answered. I had taken yet another day off to be around for them, sat at the window waitinbg for them to come.

I was told that the Sky dish would have to go on the neighbours chimney. I sent him away. Later turned out he was talking rubbish.

Each time I was put at the back of the waiting list, typically 2 weeks wait

Eventually all the planets were aligned, received my Sky card, got competent engineer (who installed it on side of house), arrived when he said he would, attached everything up nicely. Tried to activate card and it turns out that they have cancelled my card. They have sent a new card - but still waiting.

Its only been 11 weeks since I ordered it and still haven't received what I ordered !!!

Chorus were never this bad..................

For the bad luck you have had, probably another 100 had the good luck and were installed 11 weeks ago. It does happen from time to time, not everything runs smoothly, or do you know a system that does???

Mick? who is Mick? I dont know any Mick up there :o

Up where?

I was referring to a mate of mine who is from Slieverue in Co Kilkenny. He worked as an installer with a company called KBO a couple of years back, then switched to another company who done all the MMDS work for NTL. He is now back doing Sky and I assumed that he was with Sirrea because my sister in law recently got a relocation carried out and was told that Seirra would be doing it. As it turned out my mate mick was sent out to do the job.

For the bad luck you have had, probably another 100 had the good luck and were installed 11 weeks ago. It does happen from time to time, not everything runs smoothly, or do you know a system that does???

C'mon lets be fair there are so many bad reports about Sierra engineers that its not just a case of things occasionally going wrong, same could be said for Finlays. A sign of a good company is how they rectify matters when things do go wrong and putting people to the bottom of the waiting list after they were not installed for whatever reason is just plain bad customer service. Having said that these guys are so badly paid that its hardly surprising they dont go out of their way to get difficult jobs done.

Its not bad luck its just somebody not doing their job.

Tony wrote:
    C'mon lets be fair there are so many bad reports about Sierra engineers that its not just a case of things occasionally going wrong, same could be said for Finlays. A sign of a good company is how they rectify matters when things do go wrong and putting people to the bottom of the waiting list after they were not installed for whatever reason is just plain bad customer service. Having said that these guys are so badly paid that its hardly surprising they dont go out of their way to get difficult jobs done.

Its not bad luck its just somebody not doing their job.

Been put at the back of the queue is nothing to do with sierra, nor is customer services everything is controlled by Sky. As regard's being badly paid, Sierra only have about 5-6 of their installer's now, every county is nearly subbed out to local contractor's whom are being well paid to do a good job.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Been put at the back of the queue is nothing to do with sierra, nor is customer services everything is controlled by Sky. As regard's being badly paid, Sierra only have about 5-6 of their installer's now, every county is nearly subbed out to local contractor's whom are being well paid to do a good job.

At one point there was 6 of us subbed out to Sierra here in Co Wexford, The jobs were pleantiful but the money was crap. John Molloy was in charge of the sky installs in Sierra. No customer was ever put back to the end of the list
    they were usually installed the next day regardless. There was also a Guy from Kilkenny {quality controller} following us around checking the standard of work carried out by us.

Well it looks like times have changed, The 2 guys subbed out to Sierra now in Co Wexford are creating a mess. eg nowshows, bad cabling and over charging
    we get a lot of calls from annoyed customers who either have been let down on install dates {one lady was let down five times }or are fuming over the work that was carried out and looking for us to rectify it.

Wexford is not subbed out to 2 guys, it has been taken over by a company called dmc cable & satellite in wilton cork which employes over 50 installers to cover waterford, wexford, cork, kerry, clare, all tipperary, and galway.

Wexford is not subbed out to 2 guys, it has been taken over by a company called dmc cable & satellite in wilton cork which employes over 50 installers to cover waterford, wexford, cork, kerry, clare, all tipperary, and galway.

DMC, now thats who my mate (mick, whom I referred to in earlier post) works for.
    Are they in anyway connected with Seirra. Do Seirra sub contract out to them or is their work given to them direct from Sky?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

When did this company take over installing in Co.Wexford ?
    lately when talking to annoyed customers who were either installed or let down. they told me that they were dealing with 2 guys from Co. Carlow who worked on behalf of Sierra. Do Sierra or any of its sub contractors have quality controllers checking the standard of installs now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Aquos76 wrote:
    DMC, now thats who my mate (mick, whom I referred to in earlier post) works for.
    Are they in anyway connected with Seirra. Do Seirra sub contract out to them or is their work given to them direct from Sky?
    If it was Mick who you think installed for me, the docket did say Sierra. The installers name isn't on the docket, just some code number, so I don't know if it is Mick.

Does Mick work using a red Ford estate car?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sounds trés very dodge to me if its called DMC anything :p

Aquos76 wrote:
    Sierra sub it all out to them...at the moment anyway...could very well be changing very shortly....hush hush!!

Kahless wrote:
    Does Mick work using a red Ford estate car?

Not that I know of. Whenever he calls to me, he is driving a grey 05 D van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 skyman2010

hey

im a sierra engineer in cork.
    any questions i will try ta answer

skyman2010 wrote: »
    hey

im a sierra engineer in cork.
    any questions i will try ta answer

Your about 4 years too late pal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭John mac

Your about 4 years too late pal :)

4 years and 3 months. :D

John mac wrote: »
    4 years and 3 months. :D
    Sorry, I am a bit sleepy right now! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Squegee

skyman2010
    how would i go about working as an engineer for sierra.
    do i need qualifications or will they train me?
    TIA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 skyman2010

u need to phone sierra in dublin and find out when the next training course is.you will need to do a 3 week course.one week in dublin training and then 2 weeks out with one of us,then you do an exam and if you pass then your in.they will give ya work providing ya have your own tools and ladders and equiptment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement