Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to install a cd player /still no sound from right hand speaker

Options
  • 30-07-2014 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I have a Nissan Micra GX and it has a cassette player in it and I want to take it out and put in a cd player. Can someone point me in the right direction of how to do this? Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

You need to get a set of radio removal keys (halfords)

Pick out the radio you want while you are there :) , you will probably need an ISO adapter this is an adapter that the wiring loom on the car plugs into and then you plug the adapter into the back of the new radio.

Fit the new radio (which will probably come with it's own radio cage, this is a metal frame that slides into the radio slot - it has little tabs you bend out to keep it in place) then you slide the radio into this until it locks into position.

All in all about 15/20 mins work and a nice sense of satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 AilishNi

That sounds easy enough, can you get the ISO adapters in Halfords?

AilishNi wrote: »
    That sounds easy enough, can you get the ISO adapters in Halfords?

Yup, you should be able to get all you need in Halfords, if you are an AXA customer you'll get a discount too.

Thanks for the info! :)

No hassles, make sure you report back when you have it all up and running.

• Advertisement

Will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

On some micras you can just yank the heater surround and this dislodges the stereo....

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

colm_mcm wrote: »
    On some micras you can just yank the heater surround and this dislodges the stereo....

Not what I would consider the best advice to give someone who has no experience in replacing a stereo.

Seems ok to me, but maybe you could give the OP some free advice?

I have a Nissan Micra GX and it has a cassette player in it and I want to take it out and put in a cd player. Can someone point me in the right direction of how to do this? Thanks

Most Nissan Micra radios don't need extraction clips to be removed . My advice is when radio has been removed take it with you when purchasing your new cd player, that way you will be told if any adaptor leads etc. are needed.

• Advertisement

Most Nissan Micra radios don't need extraction clips to be removed . My advice is when radio has been removed take it with you when purchasing your new cd player, that way you will be told if any adaptor leads etc. are needed.

I was thinking about doing that, thanks

tossy wrote: »
    No hassles, make sure you report back when you have it all up and running.

Installed the cd player today, was fairly seamless, only problem I have now is that the speaker on the drivers side has no sound and it didn't before I put the player in either. I don't know if it's a loose wire or what!?

I have a Nissan Micra 1999, and theres no sound coming from the drivers side whatsoever. I'm just wondering if anyone would know why that would be? Maybe a loose wire?

Is it fixable yourself or would you need to take it to someone to get it fixed?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I have a Nissan Micra 1999, and theres no sound coming from the drivers side whatsoever. I'm just wondering if anyone would know why that would be? Maybe a loose wire?

Is it fixable yourself or would you need to take it to someone to get it fixed?

Thanks
    have you checked the balance on the head unit?

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    have you checked the balance on the head unit?

If I knew what that was I would lol It's my first car and I don't know much about the technical side of things

If I knew what that was I would lol It's my first car and I don't know much about the technical side of things
    Sorry, It's in the audio options on the radio, it's usually called BAL(short for balance). The balance adjusts the sound from left to right and viceversa.

For speakers on both sides to be working this needs to be set to the centre, which is 0 on many radios. Sometimes when people are messing with the radio this gets accidentally adjusted and a problem like yours occurs.

On older radios this adjustment is manual with a knob on the front of the stereo.

Now this might not be your problem at all but its the first thing to try.

what kind of radio is it? Is it the original Philips radio?

Sorry, It's in the audio options on the radio, it's usually called BAL(short for balance). The balance adjusts the sound from left to right and viceversa.

For speakers on both sides to be working this needs to be set to the centre, which is 0 on many radios. Sometimes when people are messing with the radio this gets accidentally adjusted and a problem like yours occurs.

On older radios this adjustment is manual with a knob on the front of the stereo.

Now this might not be your problem at all but its the first thing to try.

what kind of radio is it? Is it the original Philips radio?

I took the Philips radio out today but even when that was in, there was still no sound. I got a Sony radio with an AUX input so I'll take a look at the manual and see if I can do what you suggested.

I took the Philips radio out today but even when that was in, there was still no sound. I got a Sony radio with an AUX input so I'll take a look at the manual and see if I can do what you suggested.

They are usually set to centre from the factory so I think there may have a broken wire somewhere or else a busted speaker.

They are usually set to centre from the factory so I think there may have a broken wire somewhere or else a busted speaker.

I suppose I'll have to bring it someone to get it fixed?

threads merged

OP, if you're confident enough at diagnosing the problem you could try fixing it yourself.
    What year is the micra, does it have speakers in the rear shelf?

• Advertisement

threads merged

OP, if you're confident enough at diagnosing the problem you could try fixing it yourself.
    What year is the micra, does it have speakers in the rear shelf?

I haven't the first clue about wiring in cars. It's from 1999 and no, only in the front.

Installed the cd player today, was fairly seamless, only problem I have now is that the speaker on the drivers side has no sound and it didn't before I put the player in either. I don't know if it's a loose wire or what!?

If the speaker is not working with 2 different radios then it is either the speaker or wiring to the speaker that is at fault. There is no way that it can be bal / fad settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Can you see any screws in the speaker?

Just checked the balance on it. at 0 only the left stereo has sound but if I go all the way to the right you can hear faint music. I'm guessing its a loose wire?

Is the faint music coming from the correct side though?

Is the faint music coming from the correct side though?

The faint music is coming from the drivers side on the right. The left has perfect sound though.

Just checked the balance on it. at 0 only the left stereo has sound but if I go all the way to the right you can hear faint music. I'm guessing its a loose wire?

The speaker on the door is faulty and needs to be replaced , you do not have a loose wire.

The speaker on the door is faulty and needs to be replaced , you do not have a loose wire.

Okay, would that cost a lot?

Okay, would that cost a lot?

Firstly you should replace both front speakers as the Almera is notorious for bad speakers. My advice , go to a breakers yard and get 2 speakers from a damaged car --not necessarily from an Almera ....and fit them yourself ..probably cost about 10 euro .

• Advertisement

Firstly you should replace both front speakers as the Almera is notorious for bad speakers. My advice , go to a breakers yard and get 2 speakers from a damaged car --not necessarily from an Almera ....and fit them yourself ..probably cost about 10 euro .

Its a micra, wouldn't two new speakers be a much better option? Breakers yard cars usually have their interiors exposed to the elements due to missing windows etc.

Advertisement