Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sierra (Installers)

Options
2»

Comments

Hi Guys. It's a pity I'm late to this discussion. But I was a Sierra employee from 2001-2006. In the beginning when John Molloy was sky manager, things were good and customers were always treated right. And I was too! But then A guy called Keith became manager and it went down hill from there. My area was Wicklow. I had to work Monday to Saturday NO exceptions, I was up at 5 every day. We got no respect what so ever since Keith took over, he didn't care about customers or Installers. The area I had to cover was ridiculous, covering all of the county of Wicklow in one day, while another installer would be in the same area as me, we were not assigned to areas like east Wicklow or West, that changed though, but the pressure was incredible so much jobs and 1 man crew. I got 1 pay rise in all my time with Sierra. If the weather was bad we were not told to stop and if we did that days jobs were included in the next days work. I know my quality of work suffered as a result of abuse from Sierra and I know people don't want to hear sob stories, but at least that might make them understand why installers attitudes and work can be bad. I always tried to treat customers right in every way, but sometimes the pressure got to me and there is no way I could do all the things they wanted me to do and still have time to finish my last job. Sometimes I ran cables and put dishes where it was easiest for me that's the way it was! I went in to a house with one thing on my mind, get the job done and get out, sometimes I did have time for a cuppa or a chat! ;) There was no way in Hell I was going to run phone wire, customers got the cable and I told them to run it themselves. Usually the phone socket was a mile away from the tv anyway. What really got to me was the fact if we had 4 boxes to install or 1, it was all treated as 1 job. Service calls were a nightmare as Sierra thought a service call should only take 20 mins MAX. That's why most installers did not go near the dish and only swap the box, because it was much quicker than going near the dish! We were also payed per job, so we had to install a lot to make money. I believe all their installers are contractors now! They don't employ installers any more.

What really annoyed me was the health and safety. At the end they were paying people to go around and photograph us without our hi vis vests, harness etc. It takes a lot of time to put on all the gear and noone used it most of the time! 1 man crews were the greatest dangers on ladders. But really all that safety milarky was to protect Sierra if we fell, we would have a hard time putting in a claim!

I.C.L in Carlow, contractors for N.T.L or U.P.C as it is now, was the only other company I ever worked for that had total contempt for their employees. They had many many good installers and completely wiped the floor with them. There should be some kind of Union for installers, but Sierra locked the gates to the yard and threatened to close the company if there was a union brought in, That will tell you the kind of cowboys these companies are. And the fact they moan about not making money and force people to work for nothing 6 days a week, no bonus nothing. I.C.L even have tracking on the vans now to have more control on their employees, I could tell you stories about them but hey, Enough for now.

Anyway that's an x I.C.L and Sierra employees insight into the world of Installers! LOL hope you enjoyed it and apologies if ever I was one of those installers that pi**ed you off, really I'm a nice guy! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Squegee wrote: »
    skyman2010
    how would i go about working as an engineer for sierra.
    do i need qualifications or will they train me?
    TIA

No installing company uses Engineers on domestic premises, or even Technicians, unless employees happen to have these qualifications and got the job anyway.

Graduate Engineer is a starting salary outside Dublin of €22K to €30K, and experienced Engineers €45k to €65k depending on job.

Good installing companies use trained Riggers and Fitters.

A Small but Professional local outfit is more likely to be run and have people with Engineering Qualifications "on the ground". Not a large contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A lot of people get confused when it comes to Satellite and Terrestrial installers and refer to them a Engineers.
    On the Sierra note,I did contract work for them some years ago in the ESB Networks upgrade scheme and imo a shower of little hitlers in charge,treated employees and contractors like dirt.If that division of the company was anything to go by I couldn't see the rest being any different seeing as they shifted some of the supervisors etc. over to the satellite division when work on ESB slowed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Mad Lad, you must of been there the time I was there, when Keith was in charge and then along came Darren. Do you remember him!
    I can back up MadLad 100% on what he just said.
    Out of the bed at 5 in the morning, and be lucky to be home by 11pm.
    They had me covering Laois, Offaly and North Tipperary on my own!

I can still remember been up on a roof in Roscrea town at 1:30am in the morning doing a service call.

You are not an employee to these people, but a number.

Over the Christmas period I was single handedly handed 25 jobs per day!. Now all the satellite guys know that you would be lucky to get 7 done a day. But no Sierra knew this and advised us to ring all customers in the morning and tell them we would be with them, then when it came to the evening ring the customer back and tell them to reschedule jobs. They didnt give a **** about customers either.

Madlad do you remember the time Darren came up with this great idea to track the jobs that werent done by the installers? Even if a customer cancelled the day before this went against you, a lot of lads lost their jobs because if this.

Ha, eventually a year later Darren was threw out into his own van with his own rules and lasted only 2 weeks on the job before he was sacked. Big man then he was.

If I hadnt got what I have now and my only choice was to work for them again, I would go on the dole on and lay back.

Guys no matter how desperate you are dont bother even applying to these people, remember there is no job security, your only a number, and this is what the head guy Keith told us one day in a meeting.

Thats my 2 cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I had exactly the same problem working as a sub-contractor for UPC, the pay was brillant if and only if there was a Line of Sight signal possible, no payment if you couldnt get a signal. Unlike work with Satellites which are always found easily with a sat meter, I was sent all over the country and expected to know every single transmitter, type of equipment used there etc, and NEVER EVER GIVEN any technical information or told what the transmitters name even were when sent to a new area...so Id spend countless time wasted trying to figure out what needed to be done in order to get a signal.

As a result I too was under serious stress and pressure to produce the goods, and where a multiroom situation arose there was never enough time to do the job properly.

I covered anywhere from west clare to Kilkenny and anywhere in between...so I feel sorry for any Sierra, Finlays and Muskerry installers...

A job will never be done right when the installer is put under pressure, a proper install done will leave to a better service and a happy customer and less time will be spend doing unneccessary service calls as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Its very hard to fully express how bad Sierra was, you would have to be there to see it. it was like having Hitler running the show.

I remember one time I was up there at 7am in the morning, after been up since 5am and there was even guys coming up from Tipperary, Carlow, Kilkenny, even guys up from the north. We were told there was a meeting to be held with us, about 20 installers. 10am before Darren showed up and I swear to god the meeting lasted 10 seconds. That was them, did'nt give a **** about the installers, wasted 3 hours for a 10 second nonsence meeting. We then would have to work late into the night to make up for it.

The best company I ever worked for was Cables & Utilities, a contractor for Irish Multichannel at the time, many many moons ago!. The best time I ever had. When I woke up in the morning I could'nt wait to get up to Newbridge.
    I loved the job.
    All jobs organised for you in the morning when you went up, If you couldnt get to a job, they would look after it. No pressure, no stress and everyone was treated as an individual, and not a number.
    Broke my heart when I had to give it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

A friend of mine had an Sky installer drill into the WRONG apartment and straight through electrical wiring in the other unit.
    The neighbor then threatened legal action against her as she'd hired the satellite installer.
    She ended up having to pay about €1000 in repair costs to the neighbour and never got a cent back from Sky.

I'm not sure which subcontractor it was, but I would always advice anyone to supervise Sky and Cable installations very carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Anto69r

Been put at the back of the queue is nothing to do with sierra, nor is customer services everything is controlled by Sky. As regard's being badly paid, Sierra only have about 5-6 of their installer's now, every county is nearly subbed out to local contractor's whom are being well paid to do a good job.

Complete bull. I've worked with Sierra for the last 18 months. €32 per install and supply everything except sky box and fish. Some jobs use 30meters of cable at €0.50 prr meter plus connectors, clips and everything else including your diesel. A lot of jobs end up costing you money but as self employed you are caught until another job comes up. WORST JOB EVER

Been put at the back of the queue is nothing to do with sierra, nor is customer services everything is controlled by Sky. As regard's being badly paid, Sierra only have about 5-6 of their installer's now, every county is nearly subbed out to local contractor's whom are being well paid to do a good job.

Complete bull. I've worked with Sierra for the last 18 months. €32 per install and supply everything except sky box and fish. Some jobs use 30meters of cable at €0.50 prr meter plus connectors, clips and everything else including your diesel. A lot of jobs end up costing you money but as self employed you are caught until another job comes up. WORST JOB EVER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Anto69r wrote: »

Probably not "Bull" at the time.

The post your referring to now is nearly 4 years old.

Zombie thread!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Indeed. We don't drag up four year old threads (and post the same thing thrice).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement