Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky + app recording clash problem

• 19-07-2014 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The Sky box is in standby and is recording a programme. I am using the Sky + app to record another programme and it says that there is a clash as we are watching a programme and need to re-schedule.

This is incorrect as the box is in standby and should be able to record 2 programmes but in this instance it is not.

I did a planner re-build but nothing happened.

Has this happened to anyone else and how do I fix it?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭gipi

Sky boxes can only record 2 programnes, can't they? I can record 2 programmes while watching a pre-recorded prog, but can't record 2 while watching a third channel live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

gipi wrote: »
    Sky boxes can only record 2 programnes, can't they? I can record 2 programmes while watching a pre-recorded prog, but can't record 2 while watching a third channel live.

Thats the point - I am not watching a 3rd programme. The box is in standby and is recording a programme already so it should be able to record another one, yet it comes up on the app that I am watching another programme when this is not the case. Even the remote control on the app recognises the box is in standby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,316 ✭✭✭✭muffler

and should be able to record 3 programmes
    As stated the box can only record 2 programmes at the same time so I've no idea where you are getting 3 from.

If the box is in standby how are you seeing the message?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

The box might be on stand by but its still on a channel. One of the recordings needs to be on this channel.
    IE.
    press 101 on your sky remote and rte1 comes on. You can turn the sky box to stand by but the box is still programmed to rte1 and can record off that plus 1 other channel.

muffler wrote: »
    As stated the box can only record 2 programmes at the same time so I've no idea where you are getting 3 from.

If the box is in standby how are you seeing the message?

Sorry - I meant 2. Will edit post.

I am seeing the message on the Sky + app on my phone.

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    The box might be on stand by but its still on a channel. One of the recordings needs to be on this channel.
    IE.
    press 101 on your sky remote and rte1 comes on. You can turn the sky box to stand by but the box is still programmed to rte1 and can record off that plus 1 other channel.

My point is - if it's in standby by you should be able to record 2 programmes that are on at the same time on 2 different channels.

I understand that you turn off the box from a channel it is on but surely you should be allowed record 2 programmes at once on different channels and if you happen to turn on the box then the clash should happen - not when it is off and no channel is being watched?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,316 ✭✭✭✭muffler

if you happen to turn on the box then the clash should happen - not when it is off and no channel is being watched?
    I see what you're saying and it should record 2 channels at the same time. But I think you have to set it at one of the channels you're recording and then either switch the TV off, or watch something on playback or watch Saorview channel or a DVD etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Have you tried recording it using the remote instead of the app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭webpal

Are you able to record two programmes using your remote? I.e. It could be an app issue

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

I see what you're saying and it should record 2 channels at the same time. But I think you have to set it at one of the channels you're recording and then either switch the TV off, or watch something on playback or watch Saorview channel or a DVD etc.

No you shouldnt have to do that. I certainly dont. If a programne is going to clash the switching takes place automatically unless cancelled via user input. The same applies while on standby. The box is faulty so contact sky.

• Advertisement

No you shouldnt have to do that. I certainly dont. If a programne is going to clash the switching takes place automatically unless cancelled via user input. The same applies while on standby. The box is faulty so contact sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭webpal

It'll probably be repeated in two hours time anyway :)

yes there wrote: »

If the box is in standby you can record two shows. If it is powered on you can record two shows, but need to be watching one of them at the same time.

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    If the box is in standby you can record two shows. If it is powered on you can record two shows, but need to be watching one of them at the same time.

Ok. But if it is in standby one of the shows that is on at the same time needs to be on the last channel before the bix was put into standby?

Say you are recording both rte 1&2. If you were on tv 3 last and put the box in standby both rte 1&2 will still record.

Say you are recording both rte 1&2. If you were on tv 3 last and put the box in standby both rte 1&2 will still record.

Don't think so as if you are recording Rte 1 and 2 you have to be watching one if u change to tv3 it will say to cancel one to move.

Don't think so as if you are recording Rte 1 and 2 you have to be watching one if u change to tv3 it will say to cancel one to move.

That's only when the sky box is on.

• Advertisement

So I wonder why it wont work for me when the sky box is on standby? It seems that you can record 2 programmes at the same time but 1 of them has to be on the channel that the box was on before it was put into standby.

So I wonder why it wont work for me when the sky box is on standby? It seems that you can record 2 programmes at the same time but 1 of them has to be on the channel that the box was on before it was put into standby.

Can you try it for me - put the sky box in standby and use the sky + app to record 2 programmes that are on now (not in the future) on different channels and neither channel is the last one the box was on before been put into standby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Nsewell

If 2 program's are scheduled to record at the same time while the box is in standby then the box will auto switch to both channels before the program starts.

If the same happens while the box is turned on then aprox. 5 minutes before the clash will occur a clash warning will appear on screen prompting the user to cancel a recording or backup to continue with both the recordings. At the same time one of the recordings will start or will be in progress due to it starting earlier.

If the user selects Backup or doesn't do anything then aprox. 1 minute before the second program is due to start the box will switch to that channel and start recording.

The box does not remain in-deffinetly on the last channel while in standby, the box will either tune to the default transponder, tune to the hidden channels to record Showcase content or AdSmart ads or turn the tuner off. The box is smart in the way it chooses what to do with the tuners.

Exactly why the Sky+ app displays a clash warning when the box is in standby I'm not sure.

It could be incase your intending on using the app to change channels ect.

The Standby button appears to work differently to the rest of the commands in the Sky+ apps media controller. So there could be some technical reason for it not being implemented into the clash warning part of the Sky+ app.

Yeah I'll do it when I'm at home

Also, it seems to happen on wifi at home as opposed to when out and using cellular data. So just put the box in standby on say RTE1 being the last channel it was on before being put on standby and record something that is being shown now on say RTE2 and TV3 and see what the Sky + app says.

Thanks...

Hi,

Did you get a chance to re-create the issue I was having?

Here is the image I get on my Sky + app on my iPhone:

[IMG][/img]IMG_1184_zpsf7c28df2.jpg

Thanks...

Hi,

Did you get a chance to re-create the issue I was having?

Here is the image I get on my Sky + app on my iPhone:

[IMG][/img]IMG_1184_zpsf7c28df2.jpg

Thanks...

No not yet. Won't be in the house with the sky box for a week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Is this the error you are getting?

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Is this the error you are getting?

Yes. I got on to sky and it seems to be an issue between the remote control i er wifi when its connected to a box and the box is in standby as you can record 2 programmes that are on at the same time over cellular using remote record when the remote control function over wifi is not connected and the last channel the box was on before being put into standby is not one of the programmes being recorded.

Its obviously not a huge issue but just letting people know if they happen to get it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Yes. I got on to sky and it seems to be an issue between the remote control i er wifi when its connected to a box and the box is in standby as you can record 2 programmes that are on at the same time over cellular using remote record when the remote control function over wifi is not connected and the last channel the box was on before being put into standby is not one of the programmes being recorded.

Its obviously not a huge issue but just letting people know if they happen to get it!

Its not an error per se. Basically, whats happening is when connected over wifi the app can see that there is a clash and prevents it with that error.

Over cellular, it cant see the planner so just records whatever you ask it to, even if there is a clash.

Advertisement