Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death comes in threes

Options
  • 09-07-2014 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Has anyone heard the theory that deaths always come in three. So for instance if someone dies there will be two more people connected to them in some form that will also die. Well that example is true for my community which I live in. I live in rural Donegal, my area is small, it is only a road with 4 lanes intersecting it. But this superstition has been around for as long as I remember. I don't normally believe in this sort of thing but the statistics are eerie to say the least. But it happens, when one dies another dies within a few weeks to a few months then another one dies shortly after. What do you think of this superstition? And have you had any similar experiences too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I've heard it before, the three deaths thing doesn't have to have to have the three people related afaik, just from the same locality. Also, the timeframe for it is usually anywhere up to 2 weeks from the first death

iirc the first time i heard it was from my grandmother way back in the eighties, since then i tend to attribute 1, 2 and 3 to deaths.. creepy, and morbid.. but it holds true for whatever it's worth

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

They dont really. My fatherinlaw died recently and two other people I know didnt die after. Though if I were to extent that to 3 months before and three months after then yeah, there may well have been three deaths. but extend it a bit more and there would be more. make it a week before and after and there'd be less. its all down to confirmation bias and grouping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Yes, it's a tradition round these parts also, interesting to know it exists elsewhere in the country.

But as macco said, most likely to be an old wives tale.

Advertisement