Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temp Camera

Options
  • 23-03-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

I see that a temp camera has been placed on a pole at Hassets Cross and one at Ivans cross.Anyone got ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Seen these before. I believe they are for timing the lights versus the flow of traffic so the guys can ammend the timing of the lights as needs be.

Hassetts lights are a joke anyway if you are coming in from Longpavement and turning right.

Ivans lights are fine in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭phog

There's also one fitted at the lights near St. Mary's credit union and a traffic count strip has been installed near the new lights in Thomondgate.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

Berty wrote: »

Hassetts lights are a joke anyway if you are coming in from Longpavement and turning right.

If im way back in the queue turning right i sometimes go staight through on to shelbourne rd and turn right to go through mayorstone, it'd be quicker! (and i have no patience)
    phog wrote: »
    a traffic count strip has been installed near the new lights in Thomondgate.
    Passed over atleast 4 new locations where these strips have been installed going to annacotty yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I find them terrible,they're ok when I'm heading to work at 4.30am though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

they must be doing surveys, passed 2 lots of those traffic strips on way home yesterday. One was on clonmacken road somewhere, cant remember other one :)

• Advertisement

Ivans lights are terrible if you're on the Ennis Road, coming form Limerick and turning right to head up towards Thomond Park or if you're coming from the Condell Road and waiting for the lights to change, they take an age and then you get about 3 or 4 cars to go when they change to red again. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I'd say the Council are doing a study to prove that traffic lights are fantastic and make life better for everyone to which they will decide to add more at 20 locations all around the city. It will be Limericks newest tourist attraction as and the City will be known as Limerick "The City of Lights". It will be worth €10million to the local economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Jofspring wrote: »
    I'd say the Council are doing a study to prove that traffic lights are fantastic and make life better for everyone to which they will decide to add more at 20 locations all around the city. It will be Limericks newest tourist attraction as and the City will be known as Limerick "The City of Lights". It will be worth €10million to the local economy.
    LOL Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

phill106 wrote: »
    they must be doing surveys, passed 2 lots of those traffic strips on way home yesterday. One was on clonmacken road somewhere, cant remember other one :)

Corbally Road has them, just before you pass the barbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Saw the temporary/makeshift cameras near the weighbridge in what seemed to be pointing towards Kilmallock road roundabout and one below Parkway roundabout also.

Christ are they toying with the idea of putting traffic lights on the roundabouts. Would City Council be as foolish as to entertain this idea in the first place I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its quite possible seeing as they traffic lights on other roundabouts in other counties

Saw the temporary/makeshift cameras near the weighbridge in what seemed to be pointing towards Kilmallock road roundabout and one below Parkway roundabout also.

I know it probably isnt possible but I'd love if they could use the footage to catch the drivers that insist in using the incorrect lane coming from Castletroy and heading in by the N7 to the city.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Its quite possible seeing as they traffic lights on other roundabouts in other counties

I have seen them in Dublin alright. Cant say I ever saw them working efficiently as a system though.
    I know it probably isnt possible but I'd love if they could use the footage to catch the drivers that insist in using the incorrect lane coming from Castletroy and heading in by the N7 to the city.

There'd be absolutely no shortage of offenders (numbskulls) there. In fact if they were to to this for a considerable length of time and issue fines and/ or penalty points it would be a monumentous administrative task. As far as I can see most Irish drivers don't seem to do roundabouts at all. Lane choice seems to be pick n mix as does use of indicators, cutting people up to take the shortest line through the roundabout etc etc. Between them and drivers who are too lazy to dip their lights for oncoming traffic they are my biggest pet hates on the road....away with the fairies half them are I tell ya. I'm going way off topic now though, it is a discussion for the motors forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Ivans lights are terrible if you're on the Ennis Road, coming form Limerick and turning right to head up towards Thomond Park or if you're coming from the Condell Road and waiting for the lights to change, they take an age and then you get about 3 or 4 cars to go when they change to red again. :mad:

they are also terrible if you coming from the Ennis side of the ennis road and wanting to turn right towards Condel Rd. If its not the cars running the red light coming down Brookville Ave and cutting short the time avail to turn right, its sitting at those lights with a red arrow facing you and absolutely nothing coming out the Ennis Road to physically stop you turning right. It should be a green arrow followed by just a green light and letting you turn if road is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I have seen them in Dublin alright. Cant say I ever saw them working efficiently as a system though.

Have seen them work fairly well in Swords. And if you dont stop for red light you will be plowed out of it

Mc Love wrote: »
    Have seen them work fairly well in Swords. And if you dont stop for red light you will be plowed out of it

Fair enough Mc Love. I've not doing a hell of a lot of driving in Dublin, moreso being a passenger so perhaps I'm not best placed to judge. It just struck me that they didn't work too efficiently any time I passed em. Would imagine a lot would depend on if they were timed well to suit volumes of traffic flow, turned off when not necessary at night time etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

as far as i can see, the traffic survey is on EVERY entrance and exit to the city, seems to be monitoring overall flow into and out of city rather than an exercise to put specific lights in specific areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

zuroph wrote: »
    as far as i can see, the traffic survey is on EVERY entrance and exit to the city, seems to be monitoring overall flow into and out of city rather than an exercise to put specific lights in specific areas.

They will obviously put up lights at every junction, then sell advertising space at each junction. Each light will be worth 10 million to the local economy. Will also be used for match days and holidays for supporters message/ christmas wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

and they can turn all the lights green for paddys day, and red for Munster matches. What Fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

There is one also at childers- roxborough road roundabout ...they only done a survery less than a yr ago..what do they need to know is traffic better since the tunnell bypass was introduced..

ANSWER" WITHOUT NE SURVEY" No as any that is actually trying to drive around the city from one part to another that the tunnel is using cant get anywhere as every 10metres there is traffic lights this is causing tailbacks to every other part of the city...MUPPETS THE lot of them

• Advertisement
Advertisement