Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JP McManus buys the Markets Field for Limerick FC

Options
  • 02-03-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

[EDIT]
    Spoken about here too. Ooops
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055834561&page=23
    [/EDIT]

Fair play to him. A bit of good news for Limerick

Linky

Published on Wed Mar 02 14:00:00 GMT 2011

LIMERICK soccer will return to its ‘spiritual home’ at the Markets Field, thanks to a “generous donation” by JP McManus, the Limerick Leader can reveal.

Limerick’s Person of the Year has provided the donation through his charitable trust to the Limerick Enterprise Development Partnership Limited (LEDP), who announced this Wednesday that they had reached agreement with Bord na gCon to acquire the Markets Field for a sum “in excess of €1.5m”.

A licence to occupy the Markets Field will be granted to Limerick FC and supporters can expect to return to the former greyhound racing stadium “during 2012”, LEDP director Gerry Boland said.

“The generosity of the JP McManus Charitable Foundation made this dream come true and I am particularly pleased to see Limerick FC, now represented by Munster Football Club Limited, returning to its roots at the historic Markets Field,” Mr Boland said.

This is the third time that Mr McManus has helped sport in Limerick secure a decent home, with the racing tycoon providing €5 million to the redevelopment of the Gaelic Grounds and a separate €4 million donation for the refurbishment of Thomond Park several years ago, a fact revealed by Pat Whelan, chairman of the Thomond Park redevelopment committee in early 2009.

Mr Boland said that the ground had the “potential to become another excellent sports stadium for the citizens of Limerick and LEDP looks forward to working closely with Limerick FC in order to achieve this”.

Sources close to Limerick FC, whose chairman and benefactor Pat O’Sullivan had made it a personal goal to return Limerick soccer to the ground, were said to be “delighted” with the news and see it as a “major vote of confidence in inner city centre Limerick” on the LEDP and JP McManus’s part.

“The ground will be a focal point in that part of town and a key part of the deal is that it will be available as a municipal stadium for other sports also,” said a source.

The ground has not been occupied since July of last year and the club will now attempt to bring the ground up to FAI licensing standard, and expect to see it as a home to Premier League soccer next season, given the strong squad assembled by manager Pat Scully for this season, which kicks off on Friday.

The LEDP was established as a charitable organisation in 1999 in response to the closure of the Krups factory at Roxboro and its main objectives are the provision of education, training and employment and it is a major centre of employment in the area.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Yes, fair play to him. People criticise him for being a tax exile, but he is spending his € locally and far mor effectively than the Government would.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Brilliant news

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Excellent news indeed. My old man used to take me there when I was very young.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

The man should be sainted . There is an awful lot more that he does that no one hears about unless they are involved in some way .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

i have to say, this man has to be one of the most generous people in Ireland. After a munster match i was in a pub in town and he bought the while place (easily 300 people) free drinks for an hour! unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

jonski wrote: »
    The man should be sainted . There is an awful lot more that he does that no one hears about unless they are involved in some way .
    Indeed, he is an absolute gentleman and always very modest in his approach. No doubt you'll still have a few having a pop.

He is certainly building a sporting legacy for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

The city really needs to honour this man he has helped Limerick so much, are his cbs scholarships still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

incredible stuff, fair play, what a legacy the man is leaving for limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

mav79 wrote: »
    The city really needs to honour this man he has helped Limerick so much, are his cbs scholarships still going.

I believe they are.

He has helped limk gaa, munster rugby and now the soccer heads. And that's just sport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Inb4 "tax exile" crap starts again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

mav79 wrote: »

Afaik, the city has honoured him, it's made him a freeman, the highest honour it can bestow.

He also supports the Arts, iirc, he's sponsored Daghda before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

I wonder if they'll redevelop it, cos lets face it it's gone to the dogs :D

Seriously though, fantastic news even if the place does need a bit of work. Hopefully the council won't put up problems with planning process if they go to do the place up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Ah this really is excellent news, fair play he does so much in my area, always helping the Friends of the Elderdy society as well well DONE JP...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

"We're on the north bank, we're on the north bank, we're on the north bank markets field"

The memories are flooding back. :D

Cheers JP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Denners

What a legend, a really lovely gentlemen.

Great teams and players such as Kenny Dalglish have graced the field, glad to see Limerick FC returning to its spiritual home.

Hon the Blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

JP for Mayor :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

... and Barcelona for the Markets Field ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

... and Barcelona for the Markets Field ;)

as long as they only allow 14,999 people in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

foinse wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll redevelop it, cos lets face it it's gone to the dogs :D

Seriously though, fantastic news even if the place does need a bit of work. Hopefully the council won't put up problems with planning process if they go to do the place up.

Thats the plan, There is talks of building onto the LCFE too, and making it for multiple sports not just soccer, which was what Pat O'Sullivan was planning anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

brilliant. I'll defo head to games there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

:DGreat news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

seachto7 wrote: »

Start heading now sure, First home game is Friday week in Jackman :) Would be great to see you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

i first started to attend games there circa 1965, the guys took me are now attending in that great stadium in the sky, rip guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

liammur wrote: »
    Yes, fair play to him. People criticise him for being a tax exile, but he is spending his € locally and far mor effectively than the Government would.

Trickle down economics at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Ah fair play to ya Jp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mc Love wrote: »

"It's worth €10m to the city" sur' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Start heading now sure, First home game is Friday week in Jackman :) Would be great to see you there!

*rse!! I have a gig tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Mc Love wrote: »
    For President

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

*rse!! I have a gig tonight :(
    He said Friday week - the 11th. Tonight we're away to Finn Harps in Donegal.

Advertisement