Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stealth software to block facebook/adult etc?

• 01-04-2015 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭

I have an employee who's constantly accessing facebook & adult sites (varying degrees of explicitness from playboy to more extreme hard core) during work hours.

He's running a MacBook and I've had several conversations with him about it.

I've no problem with it in your own time but it's impacting his work time. He's a shareholder & founding employee so he can't be fired.

Is there anything I can install on his system that will run in stealth mode & receive regular updates on blocked sites?

My other option is to block at a router level which is a possibility, but will probably take more time to do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

He would probably be able to get around it on his own machine so you're better off doing it at router level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

You could update the hosts file on the computer, this will stump the less tech savy users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OU812

Went for this in the end. Works excellently http://www.qustodio.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Whilst I can see you went with a pretty good solution (will be bookmarking for future reference, so thanks for that)...
    Talisman wrote: »
    You could update the hosts file on the computer, this will stump the less tech savy users.

Man do I love this idea :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

OU812 wrote: »
    Went for this in the end. Works excellently http://www.qustodio.com

OU812, So you caught a serial offender of your company playbook , and you followed good proceedure and had a chat with him, and he keeps doing it! to solve the issue you have had to purchase a software solution!

I find that amazing, he must have no shame

My first thought was to suggest to him as a founding/shareholding employee he should be setting a good example for other employees , but I guess that would be pointless from what you have described...

amazballs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OU812

delop wrote: »
    OU812, So you caught a serial offender of your company playbook , and you followed good proceedure and had a chat with him, and he keeps doing it! to solve the issue you have had to purchase a software solution!

I find that amazing, he must have no shame

My first thought was to suggest to him as a founding/shareholding employee he should be setting a good example for other employees , but I guess that would be pointless from what you have described...

amazballs

We had that conversation a couple of times. As a founding & shareholding employee we couldn't fire him, however it seemed to be a compulsion & I looked on it sympathetically. He had stuff going on that I wasn't aware of, which he told me, but I still needed to take action so I discussed it with him & he was ok with it. The majority of the sites were blocked, there are some he still needs access to (Facebook/twitter), but we needed to get him out of simply "being on" the sites & instead use them as a tool.

The software I linked works perfectly. The only drawback from his point of view is it's an all or nothing thing. He can't use the laptop to browse them at night or weekend, what he does then is none of my business but it's not possible to switch this on and off at specific times (although I can disable all internet access at specific times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

OU812 wrote: »
    We had that conversation a couple of times. As a founding & shareholding employee we couldn't fire him, however it seemed to be a compulsion & I looked on it sympathetically. He had stuff going on that I wasn't aware of, which he told me, but I still needed to take action so I discussed it with him & he was ok with it. The majority of the sites were blocked, there are some he still needs access to (Facebook/twitter), but we needed to get him out of simply "being on" the sites & instead use them as a tool.

The software I linked works perfectly. The only drawback from his point of view is it's an all or nothing thing. He can't use the laptop to browse them at night or weekend, what he does then is none of my business but it's not possible to switch this on and off at specific times (although I can disable all internet access at specific times.

Fair play, impressive understanding , the employee does not sound the worst either, Im sure you have considered it , but he might benefit from a secular course re internet addictions ...

IM sure that too can be scheduled , blocked hours v's rec hours , but anyway , just to repeat, good problem solving attitudes all around ...

Advertisement