Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shocks for Octavia RS 2010

• 19-01-2014 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Was told that my driver side shock was leaking during a regular service in Oct 2013. Could not afford replacemenet at the time for the reason i was been quoted 530 euro for supply and fit for a pair of shocks. Was told car would have to be booked in for the day and it woild take 5 hours to get done. The other day, I rang the dealership and asked for parts only. Was quoted 93 euro plus VAT for one so roughly 220 for pair. Is 300 euro too much for labour? I think its too much but want advice. Live in Kildare.
    Car has started behaving strange
    lately so I think I need to act fast on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

From the prices you have given I am going to assume it is the front shocks you are talking about?

If so then that price for labour is about right for a main dealer but you will get it done cheaper if you go to an independent.

You will probably get people on here telling you it is far too expensive but the front shocks on these are not the easiest to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You will probably get people on here telling you it is far too expensive but the front shocks on these are not the easiest to replace.

Out of sheer curiosity - What makes them difficult George?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

First of all you can't access the top of the shock under the bonnet without removing the plastic covers at the base of the screen which in turn means removing wipers etc.

The next problem is that the shock itself is a very tight fit into the hub carrier so can be difficult to get it to move.

Then finally I find that usually the wishbone has to be removed to get the hub carrier lowered enough for the shock to come out.

Overall in my opinion they are far more difficult to do than a lot of other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Thanks for the response.
    Yes, it is the front shocks. I feel lately (the last few days), the car struggling somewhat when exiting roundabouts. Strange feeling but as if though there's ice on the road and it'sstruggling leveling out. I am on the road a lot (700 km a week) so cant leave this go on. Car has 137K km so far

Advertisement