Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos guitar

Options
  • 02-12-2004 8:08pm

I want to start playing the guitar. Theirs a squier accoustic guitar in the argos book. Is this guitar any good and is it any good for a beginner or is it total crap. The guitar is €119

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Don't touch it.

There's better acoustic for that price. Even second hand would be an option. I'm actually quite fond of some of the Aria acoustics for about €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The Yamaha FC30's are nice guitars for that kind of price. Wouldn't bother with the Squier's to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

some squiers are ok, if the pickups are replaced but stay away from the ones in argos. i love the neck on my squier strat. my old guitar teacher had a mid 1980's one and played as well as any real fender ive ever played

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

He's after an acoustic afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Go for the squire, But not from argos!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

My first electric was a squier from argos and it still plays fine after 6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Does anybody know if that Richwood guitar from in tune music for €99 is any good and does anybody know how much a yamaha f310 guitar is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

As far as I know the Yamaha F310 is under €200 in Dublin (try the yamaha shop on Georges Street). It'd do great for a starter guitar.

You can also get one here: http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_yamaha_f310p_na_westerngitarre_prodinfo.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

I bought an Encore acoustic for 120 quid in Argos. Does the job grand, good guitar to start out on.

• Advertisement

Does the job grand, good guitar to start out on.

Having heard an Encore, I'd be inclined to disagree. Sometimes a poor guitar can put a person off playing entirely, and I wouldn't encourage someone to take the risk for the sake of about €50.

Steer clear of Argos, it's not a bargain. Spend the extra few quid and get something dependable like a Yamaha or a Tanglewood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

I know what you mean by bad guitars, however I've played far worse guitars than the Argos encore.
    I'd say, on balance, between not wanting an off-putting piece of crap and not wanting to break the bank on a first guitar, it's a good choice.

Paying €200 on a cheap Yamaha is hardly breaking the bank. You have my sympathies, I've never played anything worse than an Encore. :p

Advertisement