Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a car with NCT up soon

• 13-02-2014 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I'm looking at a car on done deal but the nct is up at the end of March. I asked the seller if he would put it through nct and basically he said that he can't get a date for the next like 2 months.
    I checked on the nct website and it does seem that he isn't lying. There is no dates till may. So basically I'm wondering Do you think it is a bad idea to buy the car with the nct being up in a month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm looking at a car on done deal but the nct is up at the end of March. I asked the seller if he would put it through nct and basically he said that he can't get a date for the next like 2 months.
    I checked on the nct website and it does seem that he isn't lying. There is no dates till may. So basically I'm wondering Do you think it is a bad idea to buy the car with the nct being up in a month?
    He could take any date and then get a cancellation within the next few days, so it is possible. Have you had a mechanic take a look at the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭scottp68877

Anan1 wrote: »
    He could take any date and then get a cancellation within the next few days, so it is possible. Have you had a mechanic take a look at the car?
    He probably won't do that, why go through the effort of that when someone else would buy it? No, it's a good bit away from me so I'll have to try get a mechanic from that area to look at it. Would you say that would cost much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Car would be worth more with a Fresh NCT on it, so the fact that the NCT is nearly about to expire is a good negotiating point.

Check the overall condition of the car and I would also advise to check the old NCT Cert to see how much mileage was covered since it was last NCT'd and also see if any of the readings were close to the limit (assuming he has the report sheet) (emissions, brakes , suspension etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I asked the seller if he would put it through nct and basically he said that he can't get a date for the next like 2 months.
    He's not trying very hard. Add to that (a) the car would be worth more with an NCT and (b) he knows more about the car now than you do and he's not bothered trying, I would walk away.

No Pants wrote: »
    He's not trying very hard. Add to that (a) the car would be worth more with an NCT and (b) he knows more about the car now than you do and he's not bothered trying, I would walk away.

Ye I think your right. I'd say I'm safer to just stay away.

• Advertisement

Why would you walk, that just stupid. :rolleyes:

As it stands, the car has a VALID NCT and there is a actually a huge backlog with NCT appointments. Totally Plausible and could be a perfectly good car.

(If the NCT was expired for a while, that would be a whole different story)

If the seller did put it through the NCT and it passed, it will still be the same car but the seller would sell it for more and would get more interested parties.

As I said, check the car out mechanically and ask to see the previous NCT report instead of hypothesizing about what the seller could or couldn't be hiding. (which could be the case with ANY selller)

It may well pass the NCT first time come March and you could have gotten yourself a bargain.

Ye I think your right. I'd say I'm safer to just stay away.

You'd be safer not buying ANY used car in that case!

ION08 wrote: »

As it stands, the car has a VALID NCT and there is a actually a huge backlog with NCT appointments. Totally Plausible and could be a perfectly good car.

(If the NCT was expired for a while, that would be a whole different story)

If the seller did put it through the NCT and it passed, it will still be the same car but the seller would sell it for more and would get more interested parties.

As I said, check the car out mechanically and ask to see the previous NCT report instead of hypothesizing about what the seller could or couldn't be hiding. (which could be the case with ANY selller)

It may well pass the NCT first time come March and you could have gotten yourself a BARGAIN.

Yes I see what your saying but I'm saying I'm better to walk away because it's a good price for the car but it's far from a bargain. So you are the one who presumed it was one. I never said it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You'd be safer not buying ANY used car in that case!

Thats probably the worst piece of advice ever. If I'm selling a car, I want to maximise the value. I know the car inside out, I know the problems. If I really want to sell a car, I want to maximise what I can get for it. An NCT is €55 which might add (for example let's say) €150 to the overall value of the car. However, if I know something is wrong with the car, I won't bother to NCT it as it will show up and I'll probably be forced to fix it, reducing my overall gross. Any fail on the NCT except a bulb is probably going to cost €100+ by the time you factor in everything.

A seller who is unwilling to NCT a car, even if you offer to pay for it, is a clear sign to walk away in my opinion. Think about it, if you knew the car was fine and would pass, you'd settle on a price, factor in the €55 and worst comes to it, you have a car with a greater sale value. So your at no loss for the NCT. And time isn't a factor either, if you really want to, you can get a date within at most a week. A seller should be proactive in their sale.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Thats probably the worst piece of advice ever. If I'm selling a car, I want to maximise the value. I know the car inside out, I know the problems. If I really want to sell a car, I want to maximise what I can get for it. An NCT is €55 which might add (for example let's say) €150 to the overall value of the car. However, if I know something is wrong with the car, I won't bother to NCT it as it will show up and I'll probably be forced to fix it, reducing my overall gross. Any fail on the NCT except a bulb is probably going to cost €100+ by the time you factor in everything.

A seller who is unwilling to NCT a car, even if you offer to pay for it, is a clear sign to walk away in my opinion. Think about it, if you knew the car was fine and would pass, you'd settle on a price, factor in the €55 and worst comes to it, you have a car with a greater sale value. So your at no loss for the NCT.

I think your point makes more sense but just remind me never to by a car off you if it doesn't have NCT :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

That's my opinion and that's what I would do. You however, are welcome to spend as much as you want, whenever you want, on whatever you want.

ironclaw wrote: »

A seller who is unwilling to NCT a car, even if you offer to pay for it, is a clear sign to walk away in my opinion. Think about it, if you knew the car was fine and would pass, you'd settle on a price, factor in the €55 and worst comes to it, you have a car with a greater sale value. So your at no loss for the NCT. And time isn't a factor either, if you really want to, you can get a date within at most a week. A seller should be proactive in their sale.

Jayzus i posted twice offering sound advice and you pick on the post that was indtended to be tongue in cheek.

I see your point but not all seller are in a position to do so. Some mightnt even know you can nct a car early.

If it was a high value car i would always do so but you cant be expecting a seller to run around looking for cancelation for something for 1-2k particularly if it has an existing valid nct.

I appreciate it would make for a better sale from both sides but doesnt autonatically mean there is sonething wrong with the car!!

Go see the car first for gods sake and see how many miles it has done since its last NCT and suss out the report sheet before drawing conclusions!

That's my opinion and that's what I would do. You however, are welcome to spend as much as you want, whenever you want, on whatever you want.

Thank you kind sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Jayzus i posted twice offering sound advice and you pick on the post that was indtended to be tongue in cheek.

I see your point but not all seller are in a position to do so. Some mightnt even know you can nct a car early.

If it was a high value car i would always do so but you cant be expecting a seller to run around looking for cancelation for something for 1-2k particularly if it has an existing valid nct.

I appreciate it would make for a better sale from both sides but doesnt autonatically mean there is sonething wrong with the car!!

Go see the car first for gods sake and see how many miles it has done since its last NCT and suss out the report sheet before drawing conclusions!

While the NCT is valid all that proofs is that 11 or 23 months ago it was OK. To pay for an inspection as through as an NCT will cost a lot more than €55. Which means that when the car is worth very little an current NCT has a higher value, you know that there is no major defects in most components.

If I was buying a car and the owner doesn't even bother to book it in for the NCT when it's nearly due I'd be wary of it. They either know that it'll fail or are clueless about vehicle maintenance, either reason would put me off buying a cheap car from them.

Thnaks all of you for the advice I think I'll just pass on this one. As a matter of wondering do any of ye know how much a mechanic would charge to look at a car if I was buying it? Ruff price even

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thnaks all of you for the advice I think I'll just pass on this one. As a matter of wondering do any of ye know how much a mechanic would charge to look at a car if I was buying it? Ruff price even
    Maybe €50 if you brought it to them? Could be less for just a quick once-over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

If a seller can't be bothered to spend 55 euro to NCT his car, I can't be bothered giving him any of my cash.

The car might be fine but yeah. Bad signals being sent there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

He's had 6 weeks to arrange the Nct, they are open 7 days a week in some places so no excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Anan1 wrote: »

you don't need to do even that, just phone or email them, you'd have a date within days

Advertisement