Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marshall JMP 100

Options
  • 07-12-2004 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

just wondering does anyone know anything bout these amps or any 70's marshall amps like the plexi series just in terms of sound. i'm looking at buying one but it been an old amp hasnt got a reverb control. would i have to get a reverb pedal or do they actually sound cool without reverb.
    Do people still use reverb??

.....reverb

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

The Plexi is an earlier version in the Superlead series, with a plexiglass front panel. It's probably the most highly regarded amp Marshall ever made. The circuitry of the Superlead changed a little here and there between the late sixties and mid-seventies (just capacitor and resistor values really), but essentially the Superlead is considered to be far superior to any of the Marshall amps in current production. Having heard one, I'm inclined to agree. Superlead came in 50 watts or 100 watts. The reissue head retails for about €2000 in Musicstore, but the word on the street is that they're not great.

You don't need reverb, but if you must - get a pedal. Reverb is a bit tack anyway. You'll get natural reverb in a venue, or the sound engineer will stick some on through the foh.

How much is this amp going for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭gzdamien

i have a late 70s reconditioned superlead, seemingly it's slightly inferior to the earlier 2 channel model. it still sounds amazing though, and was fairly cheap, €850 from beat it music in Blackrock, Co. Louth (just outside dundalk). they still had some the last time i was up there.

never heard the reissues, they are seriously pricey in musicmaker though (something like €1,300 and €1,600).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

gzdamien wrote:
    i have a late 70s reconditioned superlead, seemingly it's slightly inferior to the earlier 2 channel model. it still sounds amazing though, and was fairly cheap, €850 from beat it music in Blackrock, Co. Louth (just outside dundalk). they still had some the last time i was up there.

never heard the reissues, they are seriously pricey in musicmaker though (something like €1,300 and €1,600).

Nah, those things in the €1,300 to €1,600 range are JCM2000's (Dual or Triple Super Lead). The model 1959 SLP reissue head should cost a lot more, unless they're stealing them. ;)

Is yours a Master Volume version? I'd say it kicks the crap out of the muck that Marshall are making at the moment. All the same, if you're not happy with it, the circuit is pretty close to the original 2 channel - it wouldn't be too hard to mod it to the 2 channel spec.

Advertisement