Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How The Devil Builds Guitars...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Well that is strange to say the least. Its weird the way guitarists in general are so backwards thinking in terms of equipment etc. What is wrong with CNC made instruments? Whats the difference between a human pulling the lever on a machine and a computer doing it? I do feel however that a highly skilled luthier can achieve better results in fine, precision finishing, fretting or sanding, so I think there is a middle ground to be found (many top-end brands use this approach). He says that because the guitars are CNC made one can "imagine how sterile these guitars will feel"....not really I must say! What a very odd person! I can understand it to a degree but this is bordering on idiocy! Some of the world top makers use CNC production. Are brands like PRS, Tom Anderson sterile feeling? Even the more mainstream brands like Fender and Ibanez still produce brilliant instruments at good prices. This guy seems like a bit of a nut to be honest. Personally, I dont care HOW its made but rather HOW it performs!

Does anybody feel otherwise..? Could be interesting to hear opinions.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I totally agree with you. I've played hand made guitars. I didn't like them. My current guitar is a Korean mass produced LTD. It's one of the nicest feeling and sounding guitars I've played. People make mistakes. Machines do not. However, as you said, the finishing steps should be finished by hand.

Not like Gibson with their electro-static painting.

My current guitar is handmade and I dont think it has more "SOUL" over anything else. Some other people might do but I think it is just a wonderfully crafted instrument that performs superbly. Maybe it is easier to achieve this by the hand....who knows? Well some people like the fact that stuff is hand made, but at least they dont get all preachy about it!

I'm glad to see not everyone is mad.

No, I'm far from mad. Just ask Doctor J about my Harley Benton fetish :D

What guitar do you play?

A lovely Patrick Eggle LA Plus. Great guitar.... but may have to sell in the very near future in order to raise finances :( Will post an add on the Instruments for sale section when the time comes. Which will be soon I think! At least someone else will enjoy it. Its a great instrument. I may place the add tonight. Its got to be done I suppose. I think others here on the forum play patrick eggle and can attest to their quality. Two of my freinds (sometime bandmates) play Eggle. A bass and another guitar... all great + good value. Wish I didnt have to sell it really.

• Advertisement

yeah, I'm selling most of my gear at the moment too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Its weird the way guitarists in general are so backwards thinking in terms of equipment etc. What is wrong with CNC made instruments? Whats the difference between a human pulling the lever on a machine and a computer doing it?
    Yeah I 100 % agree. I think its a bit like automatic transmissions in cars. Many people (mainly men - lets face it) say " I would never drive an automatic" but I often find it turns out they have never driven an automatic.

A lot of people seem to have a big problem with innovative guitars like the Parker Fly and the Switch etc (I personally think the Switch is a great playing and sounding cheap guitar). What would those people say to Leo Fender and Les Paul if thay had been around when the first electic guitars were introduced ?

It seems that most of the top selling guitars are re-issues of so called classic 1960s guitars. I just dont see the point. Why turn your back on the benefits of innovation?

BTW I fully accept that the very best guitars will always be hand-built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Well the devil has all the best tunes, so I hear, he might as make the guitars they're played on.

Does it matter to me if my pickup routing was dug out by a machine or a man? No. Would it have an effect on the tone? No. Does it matter? No. Was the technology around to do this when Leo sold Fender? No. Would he employ machines to do repetative, montonous work like pikcup routing? I should think so.

The point this chap seems to have missed is that, regardless of whether the router was held by a geezer or a robot, it is the router that does the routing. The router is a machine. Unless the guy gouges out the wood with his fingernails, it was routed by a machine. Unless he cups his hands when the molten steel gets poured in to shape the bridge, there will always be guitars and guitar parts made by machine. Big wow.

I want a kick ass instrument, I don't care if it's made by Jesus himself, once it kick ass and does what I want it to do, then that's just fine by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Chap's a bit odd. I'd love to see him make a guitar without using a single machine. Heh. Chewing fret wire into the correct shape! :rolleyes: I bet that's the kind of high quality he's on about. I likes my perfectly crafted guitars I does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Zoton

Well the devil has the best music, so it's only fair that he should make the best guitars ;)

• Advertisement

It seems that most of the top selling guitars are re-issues of so called classic 1960s guitars. I just dont see the point. Why turn your back on the benefits of innovation?

people just like the look and feel of those older desgnes, I'd MUCH rather own a fender reissue of a tele or strat than a Switch!! I think we are of the same opion however. I wouldn't buy a Zachary guitar BECAUSE of that article. I may have considered on in the future if it were not for that article.

I bought a 62 Fender Jazz reissue a few weeks ago. Why? Because Leo Fender got it right. So there are loads of fantastic innovations in music technology. You know where you stand with a Fender Jazz, ditto for Tele and Strat. The Jazz bass, even though it's over 40 years old, is just a great design. It worked then and it still works now. I've never played a gig where my ESP Jazz bass (a 62 reissue without the Fender logo on it, one of the lawsuit models ;) ) wasn't right for the gig. Having said that, I also have a 6 string Ibanez bass, an evolution of the instrument, but neither is better than the other, they're just different takes on the same concept. I trust they were machine routed in Japan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Doctor J wrote:
    I want a kick ass instrument, I don't care if it's made by Jesus himself, once it kick ass and does what I want it to do, then that's just fine by me.

Well Jesus was a carpenter, he might do a great job. Especially if he uses the wood from the cross, great tone out of that.

John2 wrote:
    Well Jesus was a carpenter, he might do a great job. Especially if he uses the wood from the cross, great tone out of that.

You're going to hell for that one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I bought a 2Unlimited album when I was young, I'm going to hell anyway

Advertisement