Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Picking First car!

Options
  • 24-07-2014 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all, So I've been searching a lot for a car to pick for my first and its just been over and back with a few cars....
    I have around 2000 euro to spend and im a 19 year old male.
    So far I've had in mind:
    -1.4 Ford Focus hatchback
    -Toyota Corolla 1.4 petrol
    -Peugeot 206 1.4 HDI
    -Opel Corsa 1.2

And of course I'm open to others.

Il be travelling too and from college every week and I live in Roscommon and go to college in Limerick!

What I really want to know is which is the best car? Reliability, mpg, drive etc.
    I know all about insurance and tax etc so just leave it purely about the car!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd have a Corolla or Focus every time out of that bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TheCassman

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd have a Corolla or Focus every time out of that bunch.

I thought that. I've heard though that the focus is tough on petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

TheCassman wrote: »
    Hi all, So I've been searching a lot for a car to pick for my first and its just been over and back with a few cars....
    I have around 2000 euro to spend and im a 19 year old male.
    So far I've had in mind:
    -1.4 Ford Focus hatchback
    -Toyota Corolla 1.4 petrol
    -Peugeot 206 1.4 HDI
    -Opel Corsa 1.2

And of course I'm open to others.

Il be travelling too and from college every week and I live in Roscommon and go to college in Limerick!

What I really want to know is which is the best car? Reliability, mpg, drive etc.
    I know all about insurance and tax etc so just leave it purely about the car!
    Thanks!

Get the Corolla if you want hassle free motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

The 1.4 in the focus is woefully slow and sluggish, test drove one or two myself recently, but it is your first car so there's no need to be winning any races. The 1.6 is the one to aim for in the focus, albeit they aren't as plentiful. The corolla would be the best bet IMO, they were made to keep going, and reliability is way up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

The Corolla is far superior to basically every car on that list in every possible way.

2k should just about get you a 02-03 hatchback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TheCassman

Ya I thought the corolla would be the best alright... Someone just mentioned to me a '00 VW 1.4 tdi Polo.
    Any thoughts?

There was no 1.4 TDi Polo back in 2000, they only appeared in the model from 2002 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

bazz26 wrote: »
    There was no 1.4 TDi Polo back in 2000, they only appeared in the model from 2002 onwards.

There was.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-reviews/volkswagen/polo/hatchback-2000/facts-figures/

I stand corrected. Never seen one over here, most were the 1.9 SDi here.

Advertisement