Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Teaching job after 6 months

• 29-01-2015 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm came home from the UK in the summer after teaching science there for almost 3 years. I have really good references and I'm registered with the teaching council. I've applied to for many jobs and have never got an interview and rarely even get a rejection letter. I have only got 5 days subbing since September also.

Any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong or what I can do? I'm thinking of going to my local schools and asking them if I can observe some science lessons because I'm not familiar with the Irish curriculum and think this may be why I'm not getting an job offers. Also, I was thinking of asking if they need help with students who need 1-2-1 help with science . Is this a good idea? Or is there something else I could/should be doing?

I need to get a job soon or I'm going to go mental! Any and All information as to how I can get a job, or even my foot in the door, would be GREATLY appreciated
    x
    Q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

What subject(s) are you registered to teach with the teaching council?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 quinn1

Biology and Science, are there too many Bio and Science teachers?

The sad reality is that the are too many of every teacher!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Where are u based?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pickyour

TheDriver wrote: »
    Where are u based?

OP = Do not give personal details out on boards. I would not answer that question.

Have you send your CV out to every school where you are based in or around a 40-50 mile radius

Have you registered your details with the various teacher centers they often have lists of subs that schools use.

Is your CV and cover letter as perfect as it could be?

I would advise not to observe classes-Teachers would not appreciate it and most principals wouldn't allow it. I would strongly advise not to go down that line.

You seem a bit desperate- don't be and remember to look after your mental health- that is the most important thing-

You say you have had nothing in 6 months> are you working at anything else at the moment if not maybe you should try to get some other form of employment.

If you believe you are doing everything reasonable to get a teaching job and you still have not then don't be to hard on your self you are doing your best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

My principal would be fine with it if someone wanted to observe. They wouldn't use someone for free lessons 1-2-1 etc but if a qualified vetted teacher wanted to observe they would be ok with it.

I think you are speaking for yourself there and not teachers everywhere that should really be clarified

I certainly would have no problem with someone coming in to get a feel of the irish curriculum if they had worked abroad and it was to help them to get a job. I'm not saying what I do is perfect or anything but anything they misunderstood Etc. could be cleared up

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pickyour

seavill wrote: »
    My principal would be fine with it if someone wanted to observe. They wouldn't use someone for free lessons 1-2-1 etc but if a qualified vetted teacher wanted to observe they would be ok with it.

I think you are speaking for yourself there and not teachers everywhere that should really be clarified

I certainly would have no problem with someone coming in to get a feel of the irish curriculum if they had worked abroad and it was to help them to get a job. I'm not saying what I do is perfect or anything but anything they misunderstood Etc. could be cleared up

Would a few observations really be that helpful with understanding the curriculum, I am wondering if some kind of jobs bridge scheme would be a good idea in this case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

pickyour wrote: »

I would advise not to observe classes-Teachers would not appreciate it and most principals wouldn't allow it. I would strongly advise not to go down that road

I won't have a problem with someone shadowing a class so they reacquaint themselves with the irish curriculum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Would a few observations really be that helpful with understanding the curriculum, I am wondering if some kind of jobs bridge scheme would be a good idea in this case

It would be more of a chance to ask questions of the teachers than necessarily learning too much about the curriculum I suppose. But you would definitely learn from it. Get a chance to see irish schools in action there would be differences Id presume to how english schools work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

, I am wondering if some kind of jobs bridge scheme would be a good idea in this case

I don't think there is any case where "jobs bridge" should be suggested/promoted for qualified teachers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

quinn1 wrote: »
    Biology and Science, are there too many Bio and Science teachers?

Yes there are. And most posts advertised would require maths in combination.

Have you registered your details with the various teacher centers they often have lists of subs that schools use.

I don't know what teacher centers are or where they are. What is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Every area has one. Most counties anyway. Eg Blackrock ed centre, Navan Ed Centre. Google your local one.

Every area has one. Most counties anyway. Eg Blackrock ed centre, Navan Ed Centre. Google your local one.

Do they have subbing lists for second level? Only ever heard of it at primary. Something to look into though.

Unfortunately NAPD are pushing that new subbing system you have to pay for. Maybe you could check that out OP. Most people I know started out (in the last 10 years anyway) subbing in a large school by coming in every morning and sitting in the staff room hoping to be needed. Many large schools have this arrangement with a couple of subs. They usually pick up a few bits and pieces as the year goes on though as well as last minute cover. It's a big time commitment and means there's little chance of other work though. I'd start working on getting qualified in another subject immediately too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Do they have subbing lists for second level? Only ever heard of it at primary. Something to look into though.

Unfortunately NAPD are pushing that new subbing system you have to pay for. Maybe you could check that out OP. Most people I know started out (in the last 10 years anyway) subbing in a large school by coming in every morning and sitting in the staff room hoping to be needed. Many large schools have this arrangement with a couple of subs. They usually pick up a few bits and pieces as the year goes on though as well as last minute cover. It's a big time commitment and means there's little chance of other work though. I'd start working on getting qualified in another subject immediately too.

I'd imagine there's very little casual subbing on the ground now because of all teachers having to do S&S hours. We haven't had a casual sub in all year, only a sub in for a teacher who was going to be out for a few weeks.

Also I'd say the whole landing into a school and hanging around the staffroom is very much down to the school. Some schools would not welcome a randomer hanging around their staff room that does not work there. I'd say keeping looking but be open to doing non teaching work. There isn't much teaching work around generally.

I'd imagine there's very little casual subbing on the ground now because of all teachers having to do S&S hours. We haven't had a casual sub in all year, only a sub in for a teacher who was going to be out for a few weeks.

Also I'd say the whole landing into a school and hanging around the staffroom is very much down to the school. Some schools would not welcome a randomer hanging around their staff room that does not work there. I'd say keeping looking but be open to doing non teaching work. There isn't much teaching work around generally.

Obviously coming into a school would have to be with prior agreement of the school! I'm not suggesting just showing up unannounced! Most of the schools in my locality have at least one person on this arrangement.

Casual subbing has definitely been reduced dramatically with the new S&S. The only teachers getting any subbing in my whole ETB are those on this arrangement though. They are filling sick leaves and maternity leaves from this pool too. It's a very tough situation to be in, but I'm just letting OP know that some schools use this system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

No Teaching job after 6 months
    Yes there are. And most posts advertised would require maths in combination.

OP, I think it might be worth your while looking into a maths qualification with your science one. I know several sciences teachers who are currently doing a free maths course from UL (but I think it's actually on in UCD - not sure) to get Teaching Council recognition to be able to teach Maths. If this is common - as the above post indicates - you will be at a disadvantage without that Maths qualification.

gaiscioch wrote: »
    OP, I think it might be worth your while looking into a maths qualification with your science one. I know several sciences teachers who are currently doing a free maths course from UL (but I think it's actually on in UCD - not sure) to get Teaching Council recognition to be able to teach Maths. If this is common - as the above post indicates - you will be at a disadvantage without that Maths qualification.

You need to be already teaching maths in order to be eligible to do that course.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

TheBody wrote: »
    You need to be already teaching maths in order to be eligible to do that course.

I know several teachers doing that maths course in WIT that aren't presently teaching maths.

I've heard that this year is the last year where that maths course is free but I'm not 100% on that.

gavwaldo wrote: »
    I know several teachers doing that maths course in WIT that aren't presently teaching maths.

I've heard that this year is the last year where that maths course is free but I'm not 100% on that.

Are they teaching though? They might have got a principal to sign off to say they were teaching maths.

• Advertisement

Are they teaching though? They might have got a principal to sign off to say they were teaching maths.

Yup, they're teaching so they could've been signed off as teaching maths i suppose

or teaching resource/maths etc

what are S&S hours and why do all teachers have to do them?

BTW, thanks to everyone who replied, I very much appreciated all this information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

what are S&S hours and why do all teachers have to do them?

BTW, thanks to everyone who replied, I very much appreciated all this information

S&S is Supervision and Substitution. This is yard supervision and class supervision for absent colleagues. It used to be optional but the Haddington Road agreement changed that and all teachers have to do it now for free - which results in little or no subbing work. Some teachers could opt out but the majority have to do it now. Just out of interest - how does this work in England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Currently studying to become a teacher myself. I'm having doubts about the availability of future jobs, hence me really starting to think maybe a degree in something else might be for the better, I'm in my first year. This thread hasn't filled me with confidence, everything seems to be pretty dull and gloomy around the teaching sector, am I far wrong ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Currently studying to become a teacher myself. I'm having doubts about the availability of future jobs, hence me really starting to think maybe a degree in something else might be for the better, I'm in my first year. This thread hasn't filled me with confidence, everything seems to be pretty dull and gloomy around the teaching sector, am I far wrong ?

No you're not. I wouldn't be advising anyone I know to go into teaching at the moment.

Are you doing a teaching training degree i.e. science/home ec etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

spurious wrote: »
    No you're not. I wouldn't be advising anyone I know to go into teaching at the moment.

But if it's really what you want to do, you shouldn't be put off. All I ever wanted to do was be a teacher, and when I qualified back in the eighties I put up with years of part time work, night classes, teaching English in the summer, four years of emigration. I got there eventually, and in an odd way those years did me good. I learned to be very adaptable, and got experience in so many different spheres.
    If a person is prepared to pick up every spare hour, and even to emigrate for a while, the experience will stand to them, and will pay off eventually. Things won't always be as bleak.

katydid wrote: »
    But if it's really what you want to do, you shouldn't be put off. All I ever wanted to do was be a teacher, and when I qualified back in the eighties I put up with years of part time work, night classes, teaching English in the summer, four years of emigration. I got there eventually, and in an odd way those years did me good. I learned to be very adaptable, and got experience in so many different spheres.
    If a person is prepared to pick up every spare hour, and even to emigrate for a while, the experience will stand to them, and will pay off eventually. Things won't always be as bleak.

I would agree, but teaching is changing so much in Ireland, and not for the better I think. I'm only at it 14 years and the amount of administration and paperwork that it involves now in comparison to when I started is astonishing. More frustrating when I think of the reams of paperwork that I've filled in, that doesn't matter and no one has ever looked at. And also the reams of paperwork that I haven't filled in because I haven't had time, and no one has looked for that either.

• Advertisement

I would agree, but teaching is changing so much in Ireland, and not for the better I think. I'm only at it 14 years and the amount of administration and paperwork that it involves now in comparison to when I started is astonishing. More frustrating when I think of the reams of paperwork that I've filled in, that doesn't matter and no one has ever looked at. And also the reams of paperwork that I haven't filled in because I haven't had time, and no one has looked for that either.
    I agree with all that, but if your passion is teaching, you just have to accept that. What we have now is what I had in the UK twenty years ago.

Some teachers could opt out but the majority have to do it now. Just out of interest - how does this work in England?

I'm not sure of the exactly where the UK stands on teaching but in three years I was asked to cover an other teachers lesson once. I'm pretty sure I was obliged to do it as part of my contract but I don't think UK teachers have to do no where near as many 'S&S' hours compared to Ireland. In my school they had 1 full time substitute and several (10-15 may be more) subs throughout the year (it was a large school 1000 + students)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I'm not sure of the exactly where the UK stands on teaching but in three years I was asked to cover an other teachers lesson once. I'm pretty sure I was obliged to do it as part of my contract but I don't think UK teachers have to do no where near as many 'S&S' hours compared to Ireland. In my school they had 1 full time substitute and several (10-15 may be more) subs throughout the year (it was a large school 1000 + students)

Just out of interest, how would it work in that school if a teacher was just out for a day or two... would they bring in an outside sub?

sitstill wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how would it work in that school if a teacher was just out for a day or two... would they bring in an outside sub?

It would be given to the permanent supply teacher first if he was not busy. After that, yes a supply was always brought in. In that school anyway

sitstill wrote: »

When I taught in the UK, we had to "volunteer" for a substitution rota and I had to substitute at least once a week. Plus we had to stay on the premises from the start to the end of the school day whether or not we were timetabled - but sin scéal eile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Don't be under any illusion, the situation isn't great at the minute, but, and I don't mean this in a bad way or as a dig towards anyone, but it's always negativity that prevails in this forum. Rare to see a good story related to teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Are you doing a teaching training degree i.e. science/home ec etc?

Sorry for the delay in replying, I'm only getting a chance to read over them now.

Yes, PE and Geography. I'm well aware of the fact that if I did find employment after my degree it would be through Geography more so than PE, due to the current curriculum and lack of PE jobs in general here.

I love teaching, but if I'm going to be honest Id also love a promising career with opportunitys here at home in Ireland. I'm a mature student, who's found himself returning to college due to lack of work and to pursue something I've a passion for.

The last thing I really want is to finish my degree only to find myself in the exact same scenario as before I started, either stuck in a job I hate or worse yet unemployed.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I'm only getting a chance to read over them now.

Yes, PE and Geography. I'm well aware of the fact that if I did find employment after my degree it would be through Geography more so than PE, due to the current curriculum and lack of PE jobs in general here.

I love teaching, but if I'm going to be honest Id also love a promising career with opportunitys here at home in Ireland. I'm a mature student, who's found himself returning to college due to lack of work and to pursue something I've a passion for.

The last thing I really want is to finish my degree only to find myself in the exact same scenario as before I started, either stuck in a job I hate or worse yet unemployed.

I think you will find it very difficult to find work with geography - with the new JC the recommendation was that it was to be combined with history.

It is very difficult to get any work at the moment. This has been the hardest year yet - although I did have a few weeks sick leave but that has been it and I would consider myself experienced. You will need to consider the many years of subbing and part-time work you will need to do before finding that job of your dreams with good hours. Although on the positive, you may be lucky and get a job with good hours when you graduate :) If I had my time over again, I would still turn to teaching - like you it was always a dream and something I really enjoy doing everyday - if it is something you really want stick at it.

The PE qualification could be useful if you would like to work in a gym between jobs and the holidays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    I don't think there is any case where "jobs bridge" should be suggested/promoted for qualified teachers.

Can I ask why not?

jank wrote: »
    Can I ask why not?

Because you would have two teachers teaching side by side in two classrooms, one getting paid the full whack, one getting fifty euro a week. It would totally undermine the profession.

So it would be more about professional pride rather than purely any rational objection. Plenty of other professional professions offer internships for little or no money so that the graduate can gain some valuable experience. I think it should be up to the graduate to say wether they want to participate in this or not. I don't think it is fair that other teachers mostly in full time gigs get to tell them what experience they can and cannot get.

Nevermind the fact that it would actually help children in the long term. Can you imagine what the most disadvantaged children in Ireland could do with 6 month of one and one with a teacher in getting them to read and write. I think the argument against it is too stubborn. Its not going to change anyway,Unions too powerful in Ireland so why bother argue for it. It does blow a hole into teachers claiming that they are on the side of the students and children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

So it would be more about professional pride rather than purely any rational objection. Plenty of other professional professions offer internships for little or no money so that the graduate can gain some valuable experience. I think it should be up to the graduate to say wether they want to participate in this or not. I don't think it is fair that other teachers mostly in full time gigs get to tell them what experience they can and cannot get.

Nevermind the fact that it would actually help children in the long term. Can you imagine what the most disadvantaged children in Ireland could do with 6 month of one and one with a teacher in getting them to read and write. I think the argument against it is too stubborn. Its not going to change anyway,Unions too powerful in Ireland so why bother argue for it. It does blow a hole into teachers claiming that they are on the side of the students and children.
    This will be fun..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would imagine the most disadvantaged children in Ireland would deserve a fully qualified, fully paid teacher with some inclination to stay teaching said poor disadavantaged souls, rather than a 50 euro a week yellow packer who will be gone once their interview for McDonald's comes up or they find a job paying more than buttons.

Your teachers 'mostly in full time gigs' shows how little you know about the current situation in Irish schools. We haven't had a full time person appointed in over ten years.

We welcome not the trolls in these parts. Begone.

And what's wrong with professional pride and protecting your terms and conditions? Any worker should feel the same about their job. If someone is being paid a fraction of what you are to do the same work, what is to stop your employer from deciding to pay everyone fifty euro a week.

This isn't just about teaching, it's about the whole concept of job bridge, when it is used,as in most cases, to save employers the cost of paying a proper wage. It's exactly the same for any other profession or any other job in general. Job bridge is slave labour.

How would it help children in the long run? What would help children is having teachers who are getting a proper salary for doing a proper job, who have enough money to pay for the necessities of life and have a bit over after studying for 5+ years. Having demotivated people struggling to survive on less than the minimum wage is not good for children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Thanks spurious
    I actually couldn't formulate an answer I was so hopping mad ��

And what's wrong with professional pride and protecting your terms and conditions? Any worker should feel the same about their job. If someone is being paid a fraction of what you are to do the same work, what is to stop your employer from deciding to pay everyone fifty euro a week.

I'm honestly not trying to provoke an argument but the overwhelming majority of teachers voted to condemn nqt's to a future of earning a fraction of other teachers income for the same work. It might not be a 1/2 but it's certainly less than 3/4. I'm working 3 years now and I still see this complete indifference to the situation even tho the staffroom is filling up with more and more of fractionalised teachers. In my school (900 pupils) the only teachers who do any extra curricular activities are also fractionalised. Sorry for the rant, just needed to get it off my chest.

spurious wrote: »
    I would imagine the most disadvantaged children in Ireland would deserve a fully qualified, fully paid teacher with some inclination to stay teaching said poor disadavantaged souls, rather than a 50 euro a week yellow packer who will be gone once their interview for McDonald's comes up or they find a job paying more than buttons.

Your teachers 'mostly in full time gigs' shows how little you know about the current situation in Irish schools. We haven't had a full time person appointed in over ten years.

We welcome not the trolls in these parts. Begone.

That yellow packer teacher would just as qualified on paper as the full timer they would be helping out, so not sure why you would classify like this. I never said they should replace teachers, rather then assist them.
    You didn't refute any of the key points I made. I would imagine the disadvantaged children or their parents (if they cared at all) would not object to have an extra teacher in the classroom to help them out. It could be trialed in the some of the worst schools in the country and could greatly help alleviate the inter-generational poverty and crime cycle. When kids are behind when they become teenagers, then the odds of them even making the LC is not in their favor.

The objection seems to be purely grounded on emotion rather then on logic or any evidence that it should not happen. There is merit to the idea.

So you agree, that this is more about the self interest of those in full time gigs rather then giving new teachers and children a helping hand. As I said, lots of professional professions who are just as qualified as teachers have a culture of internships. Teachers see themselves as exempt. I am just wondering why.
    This isn't just about teaching, it's about the whole concept of job bridge, when it is used,as in most cases, to save employers the cost of paying a proper wage. It's exactly the same for any other profession or any other job in general. Job bridge is slave labour.

Being a tad hysterical there I am afraid. Job bridge is not slave labour as the person can refuse to participate in it, quit or reskill. Most of the people want to get experience in their chosen field. The statistics are actually quite favorable to people who participate in this scheme with the majority getting full time work after being on job-bridge. Despite some companies exploiting it and over the top reactions to it, job bridge on the whole seems to helping getting people full time jobs. The facts are pretty plain on this.
    How would it help children in the long run? What would help children is having teachers who are getting a proper salary for doing a proper job, who have enough money to pay for the necessities of life and have a bit over after studying for 5+ years. Having demotivated people struggling to survive on less than the minimum wage is not good for children.

Yes, it would help children in the long run. The issues of classroom sizes is always on the forefront of the teaching unions. I would have thought a graduate teaching assistant of somesort would be a delight to a full timer so they could focus more on their lessons for a subset of their class. Other countries do have teaching internships.
    http://www.dec.nsw.gov.au/about-us/careers-centre/school-careers/teaching/our-programs-and-initiatives/internships#

As an aside, why are there so many people wanting to be teachers in Ireland. Many places in the world are crying out for them but in Ireland there is a huge surplus. There must be a pull factor there somewhere, whether its real or imaginary I do not know but it is peculiar. I am hugely curious on this question. Any ideas?

>off topic: snip<

stick to op's request for advice folks..

Feel free to start this debate on a new thread Junk:

OPs request is below this...

Mod

I'm came home from the UK in the summer after teaching science there for almost 3 years. I have really good references and I'm registered with the teaching council. I've applied to for many jobs and have never got an interview and rarely even get a rejection letter. I have only got 5 days subbing since September also.

Any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong or what I can do? I'm thinking of going to my local schools and asking them if I can observe some science lessons because I'm not familiar with the Irish curriculum and think this may be why I'm not getting an job offers. Also, I was thinking of asking if they need help with students who need 1-2-1 help with science . Is this a good idea? Or is there something else I could/should be doing?

I need to get a job soon or I'm going to go mental! Any and All information as to how I can get a job, or even my foot in the door, would be GREATLY appreciated
    x
    Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

TheBody wrote: »
    The sad reality is that the are too many of every teacher!

Even maths teachers? :/

I'm teaching in the UK the past 2 years and am planning on pulling out at the end of this academic year. I am planning on pursuing a job at home but this thread isnt exactly filling me with the encouragement I was looking for!!

My degree is a bachelor and Maths AND Education so I've been specifically tailored to teaching Maths at 2nd level - which I thought would surely give me the edge but alas not so!

I also applied for numerous posts last year but to no avail much like the OP.

If all else fails, I'm casting my eye to Dubai as a fall back but surely to God I can finally get full time work in my own country?

Or am I being too fanciful and idealistic in my thinking?

Any help or thoughts much appreciated!

There are jobs in Maths, Gaeilge, Home Ec, French. However I wouldn't employ someone with just one subject unless really stuck........

• Advertisement
Advertisement